Talk

Advanced search

More or less decided on ELCS rather than VBAC but think I will have a fight on my hands to get one - any advice?

(32 Posts)
somethinganything Mon 05-Oct-09 19:54:31

Hello ladies,

Had a long and traumatic failed induction with DD ending in EMCS and a week in hospital due to complications for me and DD.

Am 20 weeks pregnant with no 2, have given it lots of thought and decided that I want to go for ELCS this time.

However, the midwife I saw for my last appt was v unhelpful when I just mentioned talking to a consultant about the pros/cons of ELCS vs VBAC (and that was when I was still quite up for a VBAC) so I just feel I'm likely to be pushed towards VBAC even though it's not what I want.

Has anyone been in a similar position? Did you get what you wanted? And do you have any advice?

Thanks,

maybebaby23 Mon 05-Oct-09 20:43:57

I have an appointment with my consultant on wednesday to tell him i would like a repeat ELCS. just wanted to say good luck to you, i hope they allow you to give birth the way you choose. Not an easy decision is it. Most of the midwives i have seen have said that they won't deny me a section as i have had one before, so shouldn't be a problem. Fingers crossed!!

StealthPolarBear Mon 05-Oct-09 20:50:52

i was under the impression that a previous CS was reason 'enough' to request another one?
If your consultant doesn't go for it, ask to be referred to another - hope you get it!
And congratulations

somethinganything Mon 05-Oct-09 20:52:08

Good to hear of someone else in a similar position - do let me know how you get on if you get the chance. I'm not even sure if I've got an appt with the consultant lined up, MW told me it wasn't normal to have one if you've only had one section. But am going to call health centre tomorrow and check.

Tricky decision as you say, but in the past few days I've felt so much calmer about the whole thing knowing I've reached a decision, made me realise how much it's been on my mind.

KERALA1 Mon 05-Oct-09 20:55:33

Had a similar first birth to you OP and ended up with a 5 hour natural labour for dd2. Could not have been a more different experience. Just made me sad to realise what I missed out on the first time round. Its your decision but wanted to throw a positive VBAC experience into the mix.

Meglet Mon 05-Oct-09 20:56:21

AFAIK if you are certain you want an ELCS and stand your ground then you will get one. I've not heard of any woman being forced into a vbac.

somethinganything Mon 05-Oct-09 21:04:49

Thanks, Stealth and Meglet

Kerala - thanks for the positive experience, it is good to hear and I haven't completely ruled out VBAC but there were so many repercussions from DD's birth and I would just do anything to avoid a) another EMCS or b) forceps. Am certainly willing to talk through the pros and cons of both with consultant just don't want to be pushed towards VBAC if I do decide based on the information available that it's not what I want

GoldenSnitch Mon 05-Oct-09 21:30:15

Hi somethinganything - I had a long and traumatic failed induction with my DS ending in an EMCS and am now 28 weeks pregnant.

I've decided I would like an ELCS too.

Had my first meeting wit the the consultant and ended up in tears just recounting my labour so she's booked me in again at 32 weeks to further discuss it and book me in for my next section if that's what I still want. It will be.

Lets hope we both get the birth we want this time...

Toady Mon 05-Oct-09 21:54:37

Hi, just posted this www.caesarean.org.uk/ on another post for a lady who wants a VBAC, Gina and Debbie have loads of advice and experience for ladies who want to VBAC or want an elective caeserean. Maybe worth having a read and you can email them for any other questions you may have. Lovely ladies and they really helped me when I needed them.

smile

LittleMissNorty Mon 05-Oct-09 21:58:34

I had an elective section earlier this year after a em CS first time. I also was terrified of being turned down. When I saw someone at the hospital at 28 weeks, I said I had thought it through, looked at all the benefits and risks and made a decision. They were fine with it, and booked me in there and then for 39 weeks.

Good luck x

somethinganything Mon 05-Oct-09 22:05:10

Thanks, all.

Goldensnitch and Littlemissnorty - thanks for the feedback and good luck for your respective births.

Toady will def check out that link, many thanks

GoldenSnitch Tue 06-Oct-09 13:16:10

I was given a book on VBACs and pointed out at my meeting that I had read this, was aware of the risks and still wanted an elective section. I think it helped at my first meeting and hope it will help at my next one too...

somethinganything Tue 06-Oct-09 13:24:59

Thanks, Golden - where are you based, incidentally? I imagine attitudes to ELCS vary according to area. I'm in north london, looked after at UCLH

GoldenSnitch Tue 06-Oct-09 13:34:21

I have the dubious honour of being in the care of the worst Maternity unit in the country - Milton Keynes General

tethersend Tue 06-Oct-09 13:37:56

UCLH will give you a CS. They gave me one for breech baby- they also gave my friend one for her first baby because she was so traumatised at the thought of giving birth.

UCLH have a higher rate of CS than the national average because they are the 'specialist centre' for difficult births, so they are not as concerned about regulating their own numbers etc.

Stick to your guns and you will get one; just explain to the consultant that you understand the risks involved.

As one midwife told me- "They can't force you to give birth in a way you don't want; it's your body" It seems so simple, but it's so easy to forget that it's up to you at the end of the day, especially when confronted by a barrage of opposition from health professionals.

You should be fine with UCLH though smile

LeonieBooCreepy Tue 06-Oct-09 13:45:32

Message withdrawn

AcademicMum Tue 06-Oct-09 13:45:45

So far as I know they can't "force" you to have a VBAC because there are certain risks to this which your consultant is obliged to discuss with you such as uterine rupture. Although the chance of these are low (<1%), the consequences something like this does happen may be severe. A hospital would not dare take the risk that something would go wrong if you have explicitly told them that it is against your will. It would also be unethical of your consultant to try and "persuade" you one way or the other (I was outright told that all they could do was present the facts but they couldn't express an opinion as to which they thought best).

Good luck.

AcademicMum Tue 06-Oct-09 13:50:00

Oh, I should add, I had an ELCS with ds2 due to previous section. The only thing they said was that if I wanted more babies (which I don't) CS would be automatic after 2 previous. I do think though that midwives are more sneery about women having repeat sections than the consultants though, so your more likely to get a positive response from him/her than your midwife.

mydoorisalwaysopen Tue 06-Oct-09 13:53:19

I have a very similar story and was given an elective c-section for DS2 after an emergency one for DS1. It took me a long time to convince the hospital to do it however and I was terribly depressed pretty much throughout the pregnancy due to the worry of giving birth. The hospital had lost my notes for the first birth and would not believe my account of it. They were really patronising and rude and said to me that I probably could not remember properly...I don't know any woman who doesn't remember every detail but they insisted I must be wrong. DS2 was huge and at 36 weeks they agreed to give me a ELCS at 38 weeks - more because of his size than anything else. I went on to have PND which I am convinced led from being depressed before he was born. I am fine now BTW. I have since been told that the hospitals cannot insist on a VBAC if it is against the mother's wishes but I had to fight for mine. Good luck and try not to let it get to you the way it got to me - you will get the c-section.

Sunshinemummified Tue 06-Oct-09 14:03:31

I had a long, failed induction followed by EMCS with DS. At Chelsea & Westminster under Guy Thorpe-Beeston I was talked through both the VBAC and ELCS options and given free rein to make the decision.

Good luck - it shouldn't have to be a fight.

somethinganything Tue 06-Oct-09 16:13:19

Thanks so much for all your feedback - it's really helpful.

mydoor sorry you had such a hard time of it and glad all is ok now. I can imagine how it got to you, I'm still not 100% certain about the CS but I do know I've spent so much time thinking about all this and working out in my mind how I'm going to convince the doctors if I do want one and how I will 'explain it' to everyone, particularly friends who've had completely natural births and cannot imagine why I'd have a CS without it being absolutely necessary. I just absolutely do not want a repeat of last time and I know how busy they get, just want to have more control of the situation.

somethinganything Tue 06-Oct-09 16:14:28

tethersend thanks for the v useful info re UCLH, that does sound promising

Sunshinemummified Tue 06-Oct-09 16:33:48

FWIW my ELCS was a wonderful experience and so different from the EMCS. If I ever have another will definitely do the same.

somethinganything Tue 06-Oct-09 17:01:20

Thanks, sunshine you hear lots of lovely stories about natural births that have been wonderful experiences, there seems to be a feeling that CSs are clinical, unemotional occasions so it's great to hear positive stories too

Sunshinemummified Tue 06-Oct-09 17:05:16

It certainly wasn't unemotional - we both cried when we saw her - and in some ways it was clinical of course but the staff that delivered her couldn't have been lovelier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now