Advanced search

Urgent advice please - ? induction tomorrow

(14 Posts)
IWishIWasAFrog Mon 05-Oct-09 19:42:45


Any advice appreciated.

Today 41 + 3

SROM last night. Planning a homebirth. First baby.

Went to labour ward last night for a check up after membranes ruptured - lots of fluid, clear. Cervix was 1 cm long, 1 cm dilated, poor application, posterior. Station -2, LOT, had a stretch. I have to go in at 10:00 tomorrow for IV antibiotics and 'augmentation of labour' - I read that as an induction - if nothing has happened...

Nothing is happening! I have the odd tightening every 20 minutes or so, period like pain, nothing much, allthough my lower back is getting a bit achey, but nothing to write home about...

I am desperate to have a homebirth. All set up for it too. I can already see the scenario - IV sintocinon, strong contractions from the start, next step epidural, bed bound, etc. assisted delivery? episiotomy? everything I DO NOT WANT.

The midwife I spoke to said I need the IV antibiotics to prevent infection in the baby, allthough the incidence is rare (Step B). Also said that it is guidelines only and I can decide. WWYD? Anybody have experience of a situation like this? Please help, I really don't want to have an induction. Went for long walks, bouncing and rotating on ball, just had a glass of wine, any other tips?

They would not consider giving me a dose of AB and sending me home either...I asked. Have to be 2 doses of IV ab's. Would you take the chance a leave the AB alltogether? Or do I go in at 10:00 and be checked over, and come home again? (sign myself out?)


CarGirl Mon 05-Oct-09 19:44:58

bumping for you, I've had lots of inductions when booked for homebirth but I'm not at risk of strep B

pistachio Mon 05-Oct-09 19:51:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IWishIWasAFrog Mon 05-Oct-09 19:55:35

I'm not step B positive, just a precautionary measure/hospital policy. Will check out the NICE guidelines, thanks. I had such a good pregnancy! Only SPD, no other problems at all!

Sorry, did not realise I posted my thread twice. Thanks for advice.

pistachio Mon 05-Oct-09 19:59:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bibbitybobbityCAT Mon 05-Oct-09 20:08:55

Strep B is not the only infection they are offering iv antibiotics for.

Am very sorry you are going through this but please do not take any chances. I am speaking from personal experience but am not going to post all the grim details here.

(but intervention is sometimes necessary and saves thousands of lives).

Good luck, your beautiful baby is going to be here soon {smile] smile smile.

Rosebud05 Mon 05-Oct-09 20:10:29

Having been induced(through choice)with both my children, I'd second what pistachio says and add don't 'see the scenario' ahead of time if you can help it. Both of my inductions were straightforward, staff very respectful of my wishes, only pain relief TENS, mobile throughout, only intervention gel/tablet then ARM (when I asked) and no tearing. I understand that it's hard, but try to keep as open-minded as possible. Births vary widely with all sorts of twists and turns.
I think monitoring your temp for possible signs of infection is good advice.
Ps I am group strep b + and had Iv antibiotics during labour which I hardly noticed. Just a drip in my hand for a few minutes which was then removed.
good luck.

IWishIWasAFrog Mon 05-Oct-09 20:18:11

Hi Rosebud,

As membranes have ruptured already, no tablet/pessary, straight to sitocinon apparently, which starts contraction at a higher intensity as opposed to gradual build up with normal labour. I will now try and relaaaaaaxxxxx :-)


urbanewarrior Mon 05-Oct-09 20:26:47


I've been induced twice - first time DS very late, pessary, long labour but ok and no other intervention. Second time (DD last year) same as you - had SROM but nothing much happened. Waited for 48 hours as per new guidelines and then induced on synoctin drip. It was absolutely fine, I was petrified having heard so many horror stories but the midwife just upped the dose gradually and I had a really peaceful labour and straightforward delivery. Only had time for 2 mouthfuls of gas and air in second stage. In fact I found it much less tiring than the 'natural' one.

Unless you have really good reasons not to have antibiotics I would - I didn't (and wasn't offered although they monitored us both for a couple of days afterwards) and then DD developed infection. Was horrendous. She's fine now but I would have done anything to avoid it if I could. As bibbitybobbity said it's not just about strep b.

Best of luck. I know it's disappointing when you want a homebirth, but it isn't true that induction necessarily sets you down a path of mega intervention - it's just the same chemical that your body produces anyway. Tell them you're worried and they'll start you off slow. Best of luck. And try not to worry. What will be etc...

OmicronPersei8yourbrain Mon 05-Oct-09 20:32:58

You never know what will happen tonight in terns of contractions, but better safe with the antibiotics. I'd say right from the start that you want to stay as upright/mobile as possible, but it depends on the hospital how good they are about this.

Also with the sitocinon, have an epidural if it gets too much: if you do, use the relief to get some rest and make sure you lie on your left side - it's meant to speed things up.

I had a homebirth planned but ended up being induced (for being over and only with the pessary, so not the same as you), I can tell you that once you're holding your baby the frustration at not having the homebirth will fade, each day you are with your baby it fades some more until it really doesn't matter so much any more.

The night before my induction I wrote a new birthplan just for the induction - I had a good think about how mobile I wanted to be and about when I'd ask for an epidural. I also included information I hadn't had to on my homebirth plan - hospital midwives won't have as much time to read it but I found it helpful myself to have thought it all through, iyswim.

Do something nice for yourself tonight, get a good night's sleep. Get some magazines on the way to the hospital - you never know when you might have time to read them (I had time by giving myself light concussion on the way in - I was under observation for hours before they'd get started!)

Best of luck.

OmicronPersei8yourbrain Mon 05-Oct-09 20:47:00

Oh yes, and hide all homebirth paraphernalia - it was the last thing I wanted to see when I got back from the hospital!

fishie Mon 05-Oct-09 20:54:04

frog i have posted on your other thread. but here i will say that i had pessaries even though membranes well and truly ruptured, so there certainly isn't a universally followed protocol.

find out exactly what their policy is, what timings, triggers and how long you have, how mobile, what pain relief and what will change at different times of day night (ie can you get an epidural at 4am). i know you don't want one now, but i gather that contractions are more painful without waters to cushion as well as accelerated by drip, so arm yourself with info.

Good Luck and i look forward to reading your birth announcement.

CarGirl Mon 05-Oct-09 23:25:21

After 4 induction my best advise is to refuse continuouse monitoring, that way you can sit on your birth ball and get on with it.

My final birth plan was full of "I refuse x y z" and it was fabulous.

fishie Tue 06-Oct-09 08:46:15

oh good frog hasn't been back hopefully she is having a baby.

agree wtih cargirl - on comparing notes with fellow inductees four out of five of us weren't being monitored properly anyway so it is a total con.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now