Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Kingston/Roehampton hospital - 20 week scan

(16 Posts)
tew Thu 09-Jun-05 12:21:46

Hi, had my 20 week scan on Monday, and thought it was very unsatisfactory. When I was walking out of the door the radiographer told me I had a lot of water in my placenta (upper limit of normality), no referrrals, no explanations nothing. Also made lots of measurement notes on a scrappy piece of paper, when with my first dd it was all computerised and plotted etc.

Has anyone else experience either the water issue or the scrappy measurements?

Have spoken to midwife and now have an appointment with consultant in three weeks time, but I was very disappointed with the scan.

koalabear Thu 09-Jun-05 12:28:34

i had my 20 week scan there for my first DS. not very happy with professionalism, and to be honest, it was so hurried i couldn't see how they could possibly do the thing properly

however, i think you have done exactly right thing in speaking to midwife and getting an appointment with consultant - so, he/she will be able to tell you exactly what is going on and hopefully put your mind at ease

if you are really disappointed with scan,you could asked consultant for another although i'm not sure if the NHS would do another unless there was medical reason

Pamina3 Thu 09-Jun-05 12:29:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LeahE Thu 09-Jun-05 12:46:07

I had my 20 week scan there and was pretty happy.

If your water is within normal range then probably right you have nothing to worry about, especially if kidneys, stomach and bladder all present and correct. It may mean you measure ahead, though. I had elevated levels of fluid not at the 20 week scan but at a 35 week growth scan (mine were at the normal end of abnormal) and they said that as long as the digestive and urinary systems all looked fine then there was no problem, just to make sure I went into hospital to get checked out if/when my waters broke in labour. If fluid levels still high just before you go into labour then it can put you at a slightly increased risk of cord prolapse.

But as yours were within normal limits I doubt there's anything to be concerned about. TBH they are much more concerned about too little fluid than too much -- that can indicate a whole range of problems.

tew Thu 09-Jun-05 13:52:51

Thx for all your advice. DD tried to come at 32 weeks, and then eventually came at 40 weeks (despite me being in labour at 32 weeks for 4 days) and one of the side effects of too much water is possibile premature labour, which is why I'm slightly concerned.

But will keep an eye on it, and see what happens!

Heathcliffscathy Thu 09-Jun-05 13:54:48

tew, you could go and get a private scan? would cost about £100...if you are really worried, might be worthwhile. the foetal medicine centre in harley st is excellent.

LeahE Thu 09-Jun-05 17:02:35

Sounds to me like with your dd's history it's not a bad idea to see a consultant anyway, so perhaps this was a god ting in the long run...

LeahE Thu 09-Jun-05 17:03:55

goog thing, obviously. Although it may be a god ting too, who knows?

alicatsg Thu 09-Jun-05 17:15:36

From my experience with them you have to push hard to get the attention you need. I had a growth scan at 36 weeks and was left with my notes for 4 hours, sobbing because she'd written abnormal baby on them and no one would take the time to tell me what was wrong. DS was 5lb when he arrived at 37 weeks and perfect, the radiographer was an idiot. I ended up going to St Georges to get a proper scan with a consultant as Kingston were too busy to have time for me.

Good luck with it, and I'm sure it@ll be fine for you but please make sure you're pushy as hell to get the time you need.

Sara

tew Thu 09-Jun-05 22:33:44

Thank you Sara and others for your advice and help. Sounds so silly to be worried, but I think I was treated badly. Funnily enough had tea with a friend who had a similar experience with the same radiographer, obviously needs to be struck off!

Pamina3 Fri 10-Jun-05 08:51:09

tew Mon 13-Jun-05 09:52:58

Yes Pamina3 it was. Horrid.

Pamina3 Tue 14-Jun-05 16:22:54

tew Wed 15-Jun-05 11:13:08

Think so Pamina. But just had a private scan and consultation and all absolutely fine, so big relief!

Pamina3 Wed 15-Jun-05 12:15:07

tew Wed 15-Jun-05 13:15:21

I know. When I see the NHS consultant in a few weeks time, will make my feelings very clear!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now