Talk

Advanced search

Ina May Gaskin's book - worth getting?

(17 Posts)
CharCharGabor Sun 04-Oct-09 20:50:09

I'm only 18 weeks but I'm planning ahead grin I'm aiming for a homebirth and I want to be as prepared as possible. Anyone who has read the book, did you find it useful in preparing for giving birth? Or any other books to recommend? TIA smile

CharCharGabor Sun 04-Oct-09 21:03:43

bump

thehouseofmirth Sun 04-Oct-09 21:20:10

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth is great. I particularly liked the huge section of birth stories which left me feeling very positive about impending labour in a "my body is made for this" kind of way . If you want something a it more like a manual then this is good. Also this is a bit lentil weavery in places but I liked it.

CharCharGabor Sun 04-Oct-09 21:24:07

Thanks thom smile I'll have a look at all of those and try to pick! I already have one DD who was born naturally but I'd like to prepare so I'm more in control this time.

thehouseofmirth Sun 04-Oct-09 21:26:45

Good luck! smile

MrsHappy Sun 04-Oct-09 21:29:29

I really like her guide to childbirth too.
Not for the birth stories, many of which I found a bit hippy-dippy, but because a lot of what she writes about the mechanics of birth is greatly reassuring, her statistics are something else and I love her insistence that "your body is not a lemon".

Pollyanna Sun 04-Oct-09 21:30:12

I was dipping into [I think it was ] spiritual midwifery while I was in labour with ds2 last year. I read a bit about primitive people stretching themselves from branches while in labour to help. and decided that it would help me to hang from the car handle while I was in agony. and it did really help.

I think the book is fantastic/inspirational, but not sure it has many tips (apart from the one above)smile

CharCharGabor Sun 04-Oct-09 21:31:39

Two positive votes, great! I have had a peep at her website and it looks good.

Indith Sun 04-Oct-09 21:36:57

I really liked reading her Guide to Childbirth. I got it from the library though grin

CharCharGabor Sun 04-Oct-09 21:37:05

Ooh three, cross posted there. Inspirational sounds good.

CharCharGabor Sun 04-Oct-09 21:37:54

And four, I might nip up to our library and see if I can order it in, thanks.

Gemzooks Sun 04-Oct-09 23:32:40

I agree on Guide to Childbirth, very good! I also liked Birthing from Within, it was hippy but good.

cheerfulvicky Mon 05-Oct-09 08:39:52

Her guide to childbirth is amazing. It helped me so much. I credit it with helping me avoid a cs, because when they were leaning towards it I held off and thought 'no, my body can do this the way nature intended'. I was so glad afterwards I had done that. Buy it!

mamasunshine Mon 05-Oct-09 08:50:46

Absolutely!! Agree a bit hippy in parts but very motivating. Really makes you feel as though you can DO it!! I had a homebirth VBAC 14 wks ago and it was amazing, got lots of great tips from her bk!

longwayaway Mon 05-Oct-09 10:57:49

Yes! I really enjoyed her Guide to Childbirth, and DH is reading it now. He's learning a lot too - now he knows what to say when his mom calls and wants to know why the heck we are thinking of doing a homebirth hmm

rebeccacad Mon 05-Oct-09 12:31:06

I loved it - still only 18 weeks myself but a big fan!

CharCharGabor Mon 05-Oct-09 18:35:43

Thanks everyone, will be going to the library tomorrow to get it ordered in smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now