Talk

Advanced search

How likely is a sweep to kick off labour?

(14 Posts)
IWishIWasAFrog Wed 30-Sep-09 14:46:04

Hi all,

40+4 today and pretty fed up. Have been doing everything to get things going, just had a sweep, how likely is it to kick things off? Head 4/5ths in, posterior cervix, 1 cm long, softish. Any other tips?

Tx,

Frog.

Habbibu Wed 30-Sep-09 14:49:46

Cochrane review in 2005 said this: Routine use of sweeping of membranes from 38 weeks of pregnancy onwards does not seem to produce clinically important benefits. When used as a means for induction of labour, the reduction in the use of more formal methods of induction needs to be balanced against women's discomfort and other adverse effects. The abstract is here. My cons isn't really a fan. I'm 40w exactly today...

StayFrosty Wed 30-Sep-09 14:52:51

Hi I wish,

it depends really. You will get a load of people who say 'yes mine worked' but then you will hear from people like me who will say 'I've had two and they haven't worked'. I'm 41+1 btw.

My MW said that if they're going to work, they normally do so in 24-48 hours. It certainly sounds like your conditions are favourable. I do hope it works for you, fingers crossed.

IWishIWasAFrog Wed 30-Sep-09 14:56:56

Thanks. I'm just a bit fed up and probably behaving a bit desperate. Have been bouncing on a ball, sex every night for the past week, rasberry leaf caps, walking a lot. Don't want to take castor oil, as it can apparently make the baby pass meconuim, can't really do hot food. No change in head position for the past 3 weeks. I just have visions of my planned homebirth fly out the window...

StayFrosty Wed 30-Sep-09 15:03:30

You have a bunch of time left yet smile I know exactly how you feel though, and I hope it happens for you. FWIW, when I had my first baby, dd, MW attempted a sweep at around 41 weeks, she couldn't even perfom it, my cervix was too hard and closed, but I went into spontaneous labour a few days later anyhoo.

I have come to the conclusion that nothing shifts the buggers until they're ready! I'm being induced tomorrow scary stuff, eh well.

It's so miserable being overdue!

Deeeja Wed 30-Sep-09 15:29:17

Sweeps always work for my sister, but never have worked for me. I am quite jealous, wish they did work for me. envy
Hi stayfrosty, how are you holding up/
I am a week overdue (or something, who's counting.....hmm). I have been having contractions that are a bit different from the ones I have been having the past few weeks. So I am hoping this is it. I haven't dare to time them yet, but I think they are around 10 minutes apart. I can't ignore them. But knowing my body I will probably still be here in a few days. I even took paracetomol today, just to see if it worked. No the do not. Damn it.

warthog Wed 30-Sep-09 16:17:15

didn't work for me either time. obstetrician said there was no evidence to suggest it does work, just something to do!

warthog Wed 30-Sep-09 16:17:30

do try i mean

StayFrosty Wed 30-Sep-09 17:24:51

Hi Deeeja,

you still here too then? grin

I hope things get going for you.

Paracetomol is a load of bollocks isn't it? It does nowt for me either. Eh well, this time tomorrow and all that.

cloveofhislife Thu 01-Oct-09 10:01:16

I had 3 sweeps and they didn't work. I think they only work if you are ready.
I used a breastpump in the end and this really kicked off my contractions. I gave birth soon after! I know how you feel :-)

puffylovett Thu 01-Oct-09 15:17:53

Hey Frog

I had sweep number 3 last night and am now in ealy labour. I am, however, 42+4 by hops dates. Yet again, am in labour on the date I predicted, which disagrees with hops dates!

So IMO no, they're only going to work if your body is optimally ready for labour anyway.

rubyslippers Thu 01-Oct-09 15:18:40

oh good luck Puffy!!!

puffylovett Thu 01-Oct-09 15:37:23

thank you Ruby grin

belgo Thu 01-Oct-09 15:43:15

good luck puffy! How exciting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now