Talk

Advanced search

Would I be able to get a C Section?

(8 Posts)
Nahla Wed 30-Sep-09 10:50:42

I know this can be a controversial subject but I really need to know if anyone has been in a similar situation or has any advice.

I've had problems in the past with recurrent thrush which led to vaginismus and vestibulodynia. Thankfully after many years this is a lot better although we still have to be very gentle during sex. I still get small but painful tears though. Even perineum massage would cause this.

Obviously I'm really worried about labour and all the things that could go wrong. I'm pretty sure that if I have a vaginal delivery I would tear. It's been really hard to get to where we are now and I can't even explain how worried I am about having problems in this area again.

I also know that being anxious and tense during delivery would make things worse.

My gynaecologist told me I would only be able to get a NHS section (my preferred option) if it was recommended by a psychiatrist. Has anyone been through this process? How likely are they to support me?

The crazy thing is I'm not even pregnant yet, but this worries me so much... Ideally we would like to start trying very soon, but should we wait and save in case we need to pay for a private C-Section?

I know a vaginal delivery is usually the best & safest option but just thinking about it makes my heart race. I honestly can't imagine a vaginal birth would go without complications but worse I'm convinced I would never make a full recovery.

Pls help, I'm going crazy!!!

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 30-Sep-09 10:54:17

I think your gynae is wrong about needing to see a psychiatrist to be allowed a section.

Completely crazy off the wall idea but my thoughts were having a vaginal birth might help with your personal problem and not everyone tears.

wannaBe Wed 30-Sep-09 10:57:44

I have no personal experience, however I have never heard of having to get the say-so of a psychiatrist to get a section on the nhs.

Tbh I would try not to worry about it before you're even pregnant, but once you do manage to fall pregnant i would talk it over with your obstetrician and tell them how you're feeling and your fears. They will likely have come across similar before and will either be able to put your mind at rest wrt a vaginal delivery, or give you the choice re having a section.

Vaginal delivery is generally the better way to go as a section is obviously major surgery, however if a vaginal delivery would be detrimental to your health then I can imagine you'd be told you had to have a section.

hth

flowerybeanbag Wed 30-Sep-09 11:08:40

Doesn't sound right to me. I had a horrendous time with DS, mostly to do with the care I received really and how various issues were or weren't dealt with, more than the fact that it was a vb, and I have no resulting medical problems or any actual medical reason for a c-section.

However I am having one on the NHS this time, and had no trouble getting it either - no question of a psychiatrist or anything excessive like that. I had a consultant appointment, went through the (very long) list of (pretty serious) problems I'd had with DS and explained that as a result I really wanted a c-section to hopefully minimise the risk of a lot of those problems happening again. He said that given the circumstances of DS's birth he didn't blame me at all and would be happy to recommend one as long as I was absolutely clear about the risks.

I agreed to see various people during the pregnancy and keep an open mind as long as he wrote on my notes that if at 32 weeks I still wanted a section I could have one.

Nahla Wed 30-Sep-09 11:17:27

Thanks for your replies!

I think he mentioned the psychiatrist as in his opinion my situation would not meet the usual medical criteria/requirements for a Section.

FabBakerGirl do you mean making things looser would help? grin It's not too tight. I think it's a mix of psychological fears, sensitive skin due to too much thrush treatment and generally cross wired nerve sensors which means that my pain perception can be a bit weird sometimes.

sitdownpleasegeorge Wed 30-Sep-09 11:18:11

Do your research about the complications possible with a c-s and ask at your forst hospital appointment. If you are refused, ask to be transferred to the care of someone else who will grant the request.

They will stress all the risks of a c-s but of course the risks of a VB will not be listed by drs/mw's as risks to be considered so you have to make up your own mind and stick to your guns without being rude.

I very much doubt that they can stop you as at the end of the day if they refused, forcing you to have a VB and you suffered the complications that you are worried about then you could seek legal redress.

Seriously, don't worry about it, you will be able to insist on a c-s if that is what you want but please make sure you know all the risks associated with both types of birth so are making an informed decision tailored to your own circumstances.

Nahla Wed 30-Sep-09 11:33:17

Thanks sitdownpleasegeorge. I was kinda of hoping someone would say what you did smile

I know neither option is risk free but I think with my history it's more likely that I'll have (long-term) problems with a VB than a CS iykwim.

The funny thing is if it wasn't for these problems I would be down the MW led unit with my aromatherapy candles, massage socks and hypnobirth CD like a shot! Oh and a request for extra-strength gas and air grin

FabBakerGirlIsSURVIVED Wed 30-Sep-09 19:09:03

I meant more about desensitising the area but I know nothing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now