changing c - section date(7 Posts)
Am 22 weeks pregnant due on 29 of Jan 2010.
Yesterday had a meeting with my consultant in the hospital for deciding my birth plans.
I am now booked for a c section on the 38 week . However i want to reconsider my date and want to postponed to 39 weeks. Was wondering how do i go about or whom do I speak to .
I also know that their diary is not yet full ... wasn't to sure how to put it across.
can anybody help!!!
Erm, speak to your consultant? Is that too obvious? Am I missing something?
As I understand it current advice is to book it at 39+ weeks now, rather than 38 as it used to be, so if yours is booked earlier is there perhaps a particular reason for that?
You have also been given a date very early on, most people I know who have had elective sections had dates booked in at their 32 week appt. I've just had mine booked in for 39+3 weeks, in just under 6 weeks time.
I think in your position I'd ring the midwife, explain that you are concerned and want to delay the date slightly, and take it from there.
I was given a date at my first consultant appt, which is only 2 days before my due date. I questioned it as dd was also an ELCS but delivered at 38 weeks (she was breech). I was told that sections are now planned for 39+ weeks.
Will be discussing at my 34 week consultant appointment the likelihood of my going into labour before then, and the plan of action should that occur.
Missing detail: my first baby was normal , but I had a third degree tear, after lot of follow ups for recovery ..wait for another baby for atleast 2 yrs and the subsequent birth should be c- section .
When I went for this consultant meeting , think I was met by some Jr. Doctor who tried to convince me to opt for Normal delivery . So i dont think she would not be helpful .
Mentally I was not prepared to get a date so soon,had assumed it would be around 34 weeks .
now am in a bit of panic... would prefer at 39 weeks.
I don't think you need to panic! Just speak to your midwife, perhaps ask for another consultant appointment if necessary, and find out a) whether there was a reason it's been booked in earlier than 'normal' and b) if it's possible to delay it.
I assume you have another consultant appointment later on anyway? You could always leave it til then, and discuss both delaying the date and also contingency for if you go into labour.
I had that discussion this week - because there's no medical need for my section the decision I made after discussing it with the doctor was that if I present in labour prior to the date, they will examine me and if I'm quite a way along, I'll probably opt for a vaginal birth. But it will be my decision - if I still want my section they will do it there and then.
If it's really important that you have a section for medical reasons, perhaps that's why they've booked it for 38 weeks, but you need to discuss that with your consultant and understand the reasoning. I'm sure you could insist on moving the booked date later if you want to, and that is current advice anyway, but you will need to also have a very clear discussion about what happens if you go into labour.
thanks a lot for you advice . It was the hospital midwife who booked me in for c section immediately after my consultants appointment . They did discuss my contingency plan .
I didn't query them about booking me early at 38 weeks .
Its just that for this pregnancy am having such a hard time with NHS for appointments .I just don't think I can get anything worked out the I would like .
Hence wanted to get some advice on how to go about . It may sound silly and simple, but these petty things not going as planned.
Join the discussion
Please login first.