Talk

Advanced search

Episiotomy or not?

(14 Posts)
biggernow Fri 25-Sep-09 08:17:25

Hey all- due in 8 weeks with number 3 and with DS had a 3rd degree tear so they have granted it doesn't mean I HAVE to have a CS but they recommend an episiotomy...

Can anyone tell me their experiences?? There were a number of reasons why the tear occurred so not assuming it will happen in same way again....so wondering what I should decide.

thanks

Bucharest Fri 25-Sep-09 08:28:43

I had one. (in Italy, where they are standard, docs like to get the little buggers out asap sad)

Anyway, had had epidural so didn't feel anything till a few days later, when the stitches started to tighten (or whatever stitches do) Have to admit, was extremely sore for weeks, tea tree oil and lavender in a bidet helped, but going to the toilet was not nice for a long time....I think it has made me a bit icky about oral sex as well, thinking about it, still not sure what it looks like down there, and dp hasn't been invited for a look see either....

It was a means to an end...as I said, I didn't have any choice, would maybe have said no if asked. Would try and not have another one.

biggernow Fri 25-Sep-09 08:32:13

i recovered well from my 3rd degree tear and I am quite a believer in letting nature takes it's course with this...and they do say tears heal better too....wondering whether I would be mad to just see how it goes....

Thanks for your input bucharest.

cheerfulvicky Fri 25-Sep-09 08:40:01

I have no experience of tearing, but I had an episiotomy. It hurt to sit down for a few days, but I didn't have any painkillers. Was alright. But I think the accepted wisdom is it MATTERS A LOT who does the sewing up. Get a doctor/consultant to do it, not a midwife. Its your fanjo! grin Mine healed well and I think that was down to the lady who repaired it. She was giving a lesson to someone else apparently (I didn't even hear as I was gazing at DS) and telling them stuff like: Do it like this, not like this or they'll only come back in 3 months complaining of pain etc.
Must go, toddler yelling..

EccentricaGallumbits Fri 25-Sep-09 08:44:16

not mad to see what happens. just make very sure that whoever is looking afte you in lavour knws you d not want an episiotomy routinely.

also look at good positions to avoid tearing etc.

l39 Fri 25-Sep-09 09:29:18

I had one in 1992. Current midwife says that it might not have been necessary, they were still doing them routinely then .
However I refused to let the trainee do the sewing. It is really very unlike me to refuse someone in authority! But I said no twice as I'd read that sometimes episiotomies were repaired by people who'd had no experience with sewing even on arms or legs where it doesn't really matter!
In the end the experienced midwife did the sewing while the trainee watched. I had no trouble or pain from it later and had two births afterwards without tearing or any more episiotomies.

onemoretimetoday Fri 25-Sep-09 11:23:26

I would second what cheerfulvicky said about getting someone senior to do the sewing. I have had 2 episiotomies, the first was sewn up by a registrar and I had no problems with it. The second was sewn by a midwife and 3.5 years later it still causes me problems. The stitches came apart within days and I had an infection. Even now I can feel it and it causes itchiness and discomfort. I'm pregnant again and for various reasons I'm having a private delivery and one of the main reasons is so that I can guarantee a consultant will stitch me up and hopefully make a better job of it than the hatchet job last time round.

cory Fri 25-Sep-09 15:39:41

I got the best of both worlds: I tore and needed an episiotomy. Midwife sat down to stitch it and then said "No, I don't think I can deal with this one, I'll go and get the doctor". Registrar arrived and completely botched it. Was in pain for ages and can still feel a twinge in cold weather, but couldn't tell you which caused the problem: the tear or the cut.

biggernow Fri 25-Sep-09 19:33:22

thanks to you all and hope all your bits get much better every day that passes!!!!

I had an excellent 'seamstress' for my tear 2 years ago so believe it is the best advice and I will have on my birth plan that the person to stitch MUST be very experienced or I shall kick up a stink........that'll scare em.......

thanks y'all.

cleanandclothed Fri 25-Sep-09 19:49:15

Hmmm - was told very firmly after my 3rd degree tear that there was no need for an elective episiotomy as statistics show (blah blah) no better outcome. So wait and see sounds like a good plan.

FanjolinaJolie Sat 26-Sep-09 08:16:26

I had a tear and a diagonal Episiotomy too with DD1. Train-wreck fanjo.

Had 'just' a tear with DD2 along the same line as the last tear.

Both times I was sewn up by a consultant and was so very careful to rest and keep it all sparkly clean for the first 10 days afterwards. The best advice I ever got from the Dr was to rest/do not leave the house for 10 days with stitches he said in very choppy german accent 'If you care about your future sex life you will do this'

I did do it and have had no problems at all.

I don't know if they advise it here but in the hospital in Germany they give you a very large plastic pitcher and you fill with with warm water and start to pour down on yourself just before you wee. I always did this everytime at at home to for the next week. After a few days i put one drop tea tree oil into the water. I honestly believe this did help.

Plus keep doing those pelvic floors as soon as you feel able, on day two or three you should start again. This draws blood to the injured tissues and aids healing.

LittleSilver Sun 27-Sep-09 19:29:25

Huh? I had a 3rd degree tear and was told they did NOT recommend an episiotomy! (incidetally went onto have 1st degree tear that didn't need sutures then just labial grazes.

And I will NEVER let a student suture me again - it needed redoin under a GA 3 months later.

alana39 Mon 28-Sep-09 18:54:48

Yes as others have said who stitches you up is more important than whether you have episiotomy or tear.

Doesn't matter whether it's doctor or midwife, it matters that they are experienced - I'd far rather have an experienced midwife than and SHO do this, and happy as I am to have medical or midwife students around for the birth they are not actually touching me! I know that's harsh but I have been one, and I wouldn't have let the 21 year old me near me either grin

biggernow Mon 28-Sep-09 19:49:12

thanks all- really interesting feedback. The more I think about it, the more I think I will opt to see how it goes.....more fool me if I end up with a front to back....but hey........hopefully they will manage the delivery MUCH better this time.

Thank you all and wishing all those poor fanjos speedy recoveries!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now