Talk

Advanced search

Starting to panic that I won't know when or whether to phone ambulance/hospital/DH

(17 Posts)
MsBrandybuck Fri 25-Sep-09 06:01:41

Been getting some very irregular pain for hours now and have been sick. Stuck here on my own since DH went off to work at 3.30. He finishes 12.30pm and it takes 30-45 mins for him to get home. The hospital is one hour away in the opposite direction. With DS I didn't realise I was in proper labour until I was 7cm. DS was born 90 mins later.

This time I have been told to call an ambulance if I'm on my own. In fact I've been advised by one midwife to call one even if DH is here to avoid him having to deliver the baby in a lay-by.

So maybe I am better off just staying put anyway but then I'm getting really worried about pain relief [am a wimp]. Have a tens machine but will struggle to put it on myself and large supply of co-codamol prescribed for my SPD. Last time I was begging for an epidural but I was put on a Syntocin drip to ensure my contractions didn't tail off because they thought DS was in distress. So have no idea if I can handle 'normal' labour pain. Oh feckity feck sad

CarmenSanDiego Fri 25-Sep-09 06:36:13

I don't think you should be on your own if you've been sick and getting pains, as your previous baby arrived quickly. This could be quicker. Call him up. Really. He should get out of work and come and be with you.

Normally you should call the hospital when they're coming every 4-5 minutes, but if the hospital is a long way away and you have a history of quick births, it's better to go in sooner than later (assuming you're having a hospital birth).

But get someone with you. It's awful to labour alone.

LoveBeingAMummy Fri 25-Sep-09 06:40:04

I agree you need to call him. When I was in labour I came downstair and left DH in bed as he had work at 6am and fully intended for him to go to work AS A LORRY DRIVER due to all thecrap you get fed about labour lasting days and days etc, I got to hospital at 9cms 4 hours after my first pain.

There is no reason for you to worry about this please call him and then come back and tell us when you have. Is there anyone else you can call to come and be with you till he gets home?

LoveBeingAMummy Fri 25-Sep-09 06:40:53

Oh and I was sick just as we were leaving the house

foxinsocks Fri 25-Sep-09 06:51:39

oh I hope you have gone to the hosp

I also had quick labours and had this dilemma. Go asap that's all I can say (I was sick in my labours too but I think it's because they were so fast but it normally meant I was pretty close, like minutes, to giving birth by that stage)

NormaStanleyFletcher Fri 25-Sep-09 06:55:27

Call Him

smile

MsBrandybuck Fri 25-Sep-09 07:36:11

I've phoned my Mum - she's only a 5 min walk away but is due to take her other grandkids to school today. So I've asked if my Dad can do the school run instead. They have had DS to stay the last couple of nights just in case. Bit annoyed with DH tbh as he left for work after I'd been sick. But then he took a day off last week because I got as far as thinking I needed to put the Tens machine on and then of course nothing happened. I can't even phone him direct, I would have to ask his supervisor to send him home.

I'm going to attempt some breakfast so that I can take a painkiller and hopefully get a little sleep. The SPD makes it really painful to lie down for more than a couple of hours.

girlsyearapart Fri 25-Sep-09 07:42:16

Poor you.
How you feeling now? Hope this is it and you get to hosp in time x

shootfromthehip Fri 25-Sep-09 07:42:28

Good luck brandy, I had this problem with DC2 and he turned up 3hrs after my first real pain- fortunately I'd gone to the hopsital for a check up anyway and was there when things all kicked off but it worried me too as it was winter and our road very often gets closed due to bad weather. I think you should get your DH home.

Thinking about you xx

LoveBeingAMummy Fri 25-Sep-09 08:50:31

Glad your mum is coming, she'll be able to help you decide when to call DH. Maybe she should call his work and make him aware of th situation and it can be up to him to decide?

smallone Fri 25-Sep-09 09:17:55

Can you call out your MW to check you over? That might help you make a decision, and at worst she can deliver the baby if it goes really fast?

Agree with phoning your DH's work and put him on "alert" even if he's not going to come straight home.

Could anyone else take you to hosp and then your DH meet you there?

shootfromthehip Fri 25-Sep-09 16:48:02

Any news? Are you well?

ilovesprouts Fri 25-Sep-09 16:50:46

how are you, any good news to share x

MsBrandybuck Fri 25-Sep-09 17:26:00

Sorry no news yet. Managed to relax enough to get a few hours sleep this morning. Still getting irregular vague crampy feelings and when I was nearly asleep lots of tightenings. DH has just got back from a quick shopping trip so I'm going to attempt some serious bouncing on my ball. DH due to go to work at 3.30am so I'm really hoping to get things going before then. Thanks for all your support earlier smile

CarmenSanDiego Fri 25-Sep-09 22:47:18

Maybe a.. erm... 'romantic' evening might help things get going?

Good luck, MsBrandybuck - looking forward to hearing the happy news!

MsBrandybuck Sun 27-Sep-09 20:17:58

Thanks Carmen grin

Still here unfortunately. Have an appointment with consultant in the morning though to discuss "mode of delivery". Think I will be offered a sweep at least so should find out if the odd contractions I think I've been having have actually been doing anything I suppose.

MsBrandybuck Sun 27-Sep-09 20:22:16

Oh and DH is not due to go in to work until Friday now so that's one of my main worries sorted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now