Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

help please - postnatal incontinence

(6 Posts)
belindarose Tue 22-Sep-09 14:15:54

I'm really upset and worried about this, so hope someone can help! My baby is five weeks old. She was delivered by ventouse with an episiotomy and 2nd degree tear. Recovery of the area has taken a while!! I had some infections which didn't help. Anyway, I'd been noticing that I need to get to the loo quickly once I feel the need to go, but just now, horror of horrors, actually pooed myself as I couldn't get there quick enough. Was holding a sleeping baby and couldn't just drop her! Sounds funny, but it's not at all.
I have my postnatal check at GP next Friday - should I try to see someone before then? I've been doing pelvic floor exercises since the birth - about 6 times a day. Am I ever going to be able to leave the house again? Help!

EldonAve Tue 22-Sep-09 21:14:12

See your GP before then
Ask for referral to a women's health physio

ReneRusso Tue 22-Sep-09 22:32:47

This happened to me, many years ago with DD1. An episiotomy is horrible to get over, and I'm sorry to say for me the recovery took months rather than weeks. But what has happened to you is not normal and yes I would see the GP sooner if you can. Best wishes.

GibberingGinger Tue 22-Sep-09 22:39:48

I would go and see my GP this week about it if it is really upsetting you. Life with a new baby is hard enough without extra things to worry about. If there is a problem (they won't be able to do anything immediately, but at least you will have got things moving. If there isn't a major problem at least they will be able to set your mind at rest and refer you for some physio to make sure you are doing the pelvic floor exercises correctly.
You'll know yourself deep down if there is something not right so don't let the GP fob you off with "its normal, it takes time".

Reallytired Tue 22-Sep-09 23:11:32

I'm sorry to hear about your problems. I think that seeing a women's physio is the best answer.

Its a common problem. I saw a physio privately for help with urnary incontinance. Admitally I saw a general physio rather than a women's physio. It cost me £40.

belindarose Wed 23-Sep-09 09:50:47

Thanks everyone. I'll make an appointment to see a GP this week. I've got odd pains too - sometimes in vulva, sometimes where uterus probably is now. Bit hard to explain. I'd better see someone!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: