Talk

Advanced search

what expect at 40 week midwife appointment?

(18 Posts)
mrswee Mon 21-Sep-09 13:12:25

hi

I'm 39 weeks with my first. I don't have my next appointment for another week.
It has just dawned on me that this app maybe different from the usual measure and urine test ect.

Do you think I will get an internal exam? Be offered a sweep or anything else?

just curious really, I like to be mentally prepared!!

thanks!

comewalktheplankwithme Mon 21-Sep-09 13:15:18

You may be offered a sweep I know I was and my friend had one on her due date too.
Good luck.

norktasticninja Mon 21-Sep-09 13:18:15

You may never know what happens at a 40 week appointment grin <fingers crossed>

mrswee Mon 21-Sep-09 13:43:11

Yes hopefully norktasticnija!! I have just eaten a whole pineapple between my original post and now.

Trying everything from early on but not sure if it'll just be a waste of time if I'm not ready to go anyway!

norktasticninja Mon 21-Sep-09 13:44:56

The core is the important bit, did you eat that too?

mrswee Mon 21-Sep-09 14:05:47

no! but thanks for letting me know, it's still on the chopping board!

I would have kept cutting that bit out other wise.

Do know if juicing the whole thing still works?

ILikeToQuickstepItTangoIt Mon 21-Sep-09 14:07:36

I doubt the appt will be any different. I don't think MW's tend to offer sweeps until 41 weeks.

arolf Mon 21-Sep-09 14:27:32

I've got my 40 week appt on wednesday (when will be 40+3) and midwife has said she'll do an exam/sweep if I want. I'm REALLY hoping I don't make it to wednesday, but think I probably will.

LionstarBigPants Mon 21-Sep-09 14:31:27

I had a 39 week appointment yesterday and don't have another one scheduled until 8th October, which I guess is my ultimate D-Day. Yesterdays appointment was much like all the others. The midwives are simply expecting me to labour 'sometime' this week - I can call for a sweep sometime from the end of the week onwards (homebirth).

norktasticninja Mon 21-Sep-09 14:56:08

AFAIK the core is the only bit that contains the necessary substance in any reasonable concentration. I think you need to eat about 18 pineapples to have any chance of an effect...

Juicing shouldn't be a problem smile

mrswee Mon 21-Sep-09 15:42:21

I've not had a midwife appointment since 36 weeks, but did see the doctor for a quick AN check at 38 weeks. Think this is standard in Scotland or at least my area.

Maybe I can persaude her to give me a sweep as I have SPD and can't do much now. I'll be able to make it to the surgery just hopefully! Thats about as far as I can go now and the app is another week away. Crutches and buses are a bit of a nightmare!

18 pinapples... think of the fibre!!

Toppy Mon 21-Sep-09 18:24:46

I went for mine last Thursday - all she did was the usual fundal measurement, a urine test and then BOOKED ME IN for another MW appointment this Thursday when I will be 41 weeks. sad

I was really really disappointed as DS1 came early so I have been on standby forever. No mention of sweeps or induction booking - she was the MW I have liked seeing least. Nice enough but doesn't listen. Just said 'baby comes when baby is ready' (which actually is so true) and 'you could have two whole weeks to go before you need to worry about induction' (I REALLY don't want one)

So my experience of 40 week MW appointment was a massive anticlimax. I so hope you don't get that far. Good luck

mrswee Mon 21-Sep-09 21:28:07

Thanks toppy,

'Nice enough but doesn't listen' describes my midwife exactly!

I'll keep eating the pineapple and curries and drinking the RL tea then!

I'm not very hopeful as babies are traditionally late in my family!

Pingpong Mon 21-Sep-09 22:20:00

Not much happened at my 40w appt - made another for 41w.
At 41w I asked about sweep and MW suggested it was more comfortable at home rather than at the surgery so was arranged for the following day. Waters broke spontaneously 8 days over.
In my experience nipple stimulation and ankle rubs made more difference than curry or pineapple!

Georgimama Mon 21-Sep-09 22:21:28

My MW wasn't prepared to offer me a sweep until 41 weeks. My appointments were on Tuesdays. Didn't get to 41 weeks - I was in hospital having delivered DS in early hours of the previous day. I even phoned her to cancel my appointment!

mrswee Mon 21-Sep-09 23:26:11

Smac interesting you say ankle rubs, I spoke to a reflexologist recently and she said there were lots of points for induction/birth stimulation on the ankles.

Pingpong Tue 22-Sep-09 08:30:02

Yes I don't know an awful lot about it but a nurse friend told me that in pregnancy they avoid these areas as you don't want to be stimulated too early but when you are ready to go then rubbing around the ankle bone and achilles tendon can help. It is also quite relaxing and pleasant which in my mind makes it even more worth while.

mrswee Tue 22-Sep-09 12:57:03

Smac, that is basically the same thing the reflexologist said to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now