Talk

Advanced search

Home water births and bathroom upstairs..........

(11 Posts)
sammysam Mon 21-Sep-09 09:36:05

How did you manage? When I had dd I went to the toilet sooo much, i'm not looking forward to having to drag myself upstairs-especially if i've just got out the pool!

Is there anything you did to make it easier?

Reallytired Mon 21-Sep-09 09:37:20

Why don't you hire a commode from the red cross? I am not sure I would recommend sitting on the toilet. My daughter narrowly missed being born down the toilet.

norktasticninja Mon 21-Sep-09 09:40:11

I had the pool upstairs but failing that a commode sounds like a good plan.

lou4791 Mon 21-Sep-09 10:54:56

I'm planning a home water birth for any day now with pool downstairs and toilet upstairs. I haven't really given it much thought, but I suppose i'm just going to have to manage, or wee in the pool if I have to!
Lou x

LionstarBigPants Mon 21-Sep-09 10:57:08

My midwife has requested a bucket be available - one of the reasons being emergency toilet needs!!

I did this and it wasn't really a problem. DH helped me up and down the stairs. It might be an idea to have a commode available for use.

Yorky Mon 21-Sep-09 11:17:31

When I had DS I went to the loo so much, with DD hardly at all. You may not need it, my NCT teacher said that going up and down stairs sideways makes your hips wiggle which can help baby's head to come down, and the bucket is always a option.

ThingOne Mon 21-Sep-09 11:37:58

I treated myself to a nice new 99p orange bucket from B&Q and bought some pipe lagging to put around the edge. I never used it.

marjean Mon 21-Sep-09 14:07:55

My home water birth labour was so short I didn't need the loo. But in the event, I had the pool upstairs next to the bathroom.

ILikeToQuickstepItTangoIt Mon 21-Sep-09 14:10:05

I second a bucket.

I only needed the loo in early labour so it wasn't a problem getting to the toilet.

A spare bucket is also good if anything needs to be <ahem> sieved from the pool.

sammysam Tue 22-Sep-09 10:25:33

Thanks everyone! I'm due in 5days so not sure trying to hire a commode is a good idea as it's bound to be too late! But a bucket sounds like a very good idea if it all becomes too much! Don't think our floors upstairs would take the weight of the pool-plus mw told us not to (think for that reason!)

I hope the birth is short so it isn't too much of an issue grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now