Talk

Advanced search

Help with homebirth and living in a rented house?

(7 Posts)
ThingumyandBob Fri 18-Sep-09 15:47:22

I might be over thinking and over worrying, however I am pregnant so I?ll blame it on my hormones!

I am planning a homebirth, but between now and the birth we will be moving house and we will be renting a property, has anyone had a homebirth in a rented house?

I?m worried the neighbours may not like any ?small squeals? that I may make during the birth and will complain to the landlord and I?m worried the landlord just won?t like that sort of thing going on in his/her house.

I?m on baby number 2 so I?m fairly relaxed about everything else regarding the homebirth?.

smallwhitecat Fri 18-Sep-09 15:50:12

Message withdrawn

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Fri 18-Sep-09 15:52:42

We are renting and if it wasn't for the fact that I'm not allowed a homebirth I would have considered it. The fact that we're renting wouldn't even have crossed my mind tbh.

You would have neighbours anyway even if you owned the house, so thats a separate consideration.

As for the landlord, as long as you make sure anything he owns is well protected then he has no grounds for complaint.

You should be fine smile

BunnyLebowski Fri 18-Sep-09 15:56:10

I had dd last October in the living room of our rented terraced house. We just didn't tell our landlady - didn't see any reason to tbh.

No problems whatsoever. My neighbour next door was listening through the wall and cheering me on while her (somewhat old fashioned) husband hid somewhere!

It was an amazing experience and I would do exactly the same again.

Go for it and good luck!!

Reallytired Fri 18-Sep-09 16:05:09

Homebirths aren't that messy if you prepare well. Get some thick plastic sheeting to protect the carpet. I would also get a waterproof matress protector to protect the bed.

The worst senario is that the carpet would have to shampooed. However this may well happen if you choose to have a hospital birth.

We never had tenants asking for a home birth. If a tenant did want a homebirth I wouldn't care.

TheProvincialLady Fri 18-Sep-09 16:11:32

It is HOME birth not MORTGAGE birthgrin You don't need permission and don't worry about the neighbours either. The loud bit is not that long really - I think I mooed for about half an hour (they must have enjoyed that whilst eating their cornflakes!) and didn't even wake up DS1 who was aslee upstairs in my very un-soundproof house. As for mess, my birth pool in a box came with a tarpaulin, which did not get a speck on it so DH tells me, and we now use it for painting and decorating work. Go for it, I have no regrets whatsoever, it was the best decision I ever madesmile

ThingumyandBob Fri 18-Sep-09 16:18:53

All sounds positive, thank you!!! Smllwhtcat, yes, I guess the agents will know the risks as the bump is getting hard to hide….

Another thing I can cross off my worry list!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now