Talk

Advanced search

Labour snacks if you have gestational diabetes?

(5 Posts)
NorthernMoose Fri 18-Sep-09 12:52:41

Hi everyone
Just been diagnosed with GD and have been monitoring my sugar levels for the last week. All seem pretty low so far so I'm hopeful that I might still be allowed to deliver at the local MLU which is attached to a hospital so consultants etc on hand should they be needed.
I'm not sure what sort of snacks I could have whilst in labour though - obviously the usual sweet stuff is out, but I packed energy drinks and choc biscuits for quick energy boosts on my first 2, so these probably aren't suitable this time round, although I don't want my levels to drop during labour either.
Any suggestions??

BlueBumedFly Fri 18-Sep-09 14:30:06

I struggled to keep out of the GD arena, its not fun.

I found a cereal bar with under 10gsm of sugar per 100 which is the max the diabetes website recommends (10 is still high though, 2 is better!) I think they were called Carmens?

I also packed marmite sandwiches with the crusts cut off (don't ask me why, comfort food I think!) and cheese and bananas.

Good luck!

NorthernMoose Fri 18-Sep-09 15:09:24

Ah yes, bananas, should have thought of that! I'll have a look at those bars too, thanks so much.

lemontop Fri 18-Sep-09 17:23:50

Hi northernmoose I was wondering this myself. Was thinking of fruit and maybe some pitta bread / sandwiches. There's a few of us with GD on this thread by the way.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/815355-Gestational-Diabetes#16858649

BlueBumedFly Fri 18-Sep-09 19:36:49

Here are the bars I was talking about, they are LOW GI so they give long energy release. I lived on them running up to birth, literally, then I had a few in labour too. When I got home I saw them and thought I would have a munch and dry heaved.... I guess some things change when you are no longer pregnant!!

They are nice though, I think I just overdosed! I got mine in Sainsburys:

www.carmansfinefoods.com.au/original_fruit_free_muesli.php

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now