Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Labour snacks if you have gestational diabetes?

(5 Posts)
NorthernMoose Fri 18-Sep-09 12:52:41

Hi everyone
Just been diagnosed with GD and have been monitoring my sugar levels for the last week. All seem pretty low so far so I'm hopeful that I might still be allowed to deliver at the local MLU which is attached to a hospital so consultants etc on hand should they be needed.
I'm not sure what sort of snacks I could have whilst in labour though - obviously the usual sweet stuff is out, but I packed energy drinks and choc biscuits for quick energy boosts on my first 2, so these probably aren't suitable this time round, although I don't want my levels to drop during labour either.
Any suggestions??

BlueBumedFly Fri 18-Sep-09 14:30:06

I struggled to keep out of the GD arena, its not fun.

I found a cereal bar with under 10gsm of sugar per 100 which is the max the diabetes website recommends (10 is still high though, 2 is better!) I think they were called Carmens?

I also packed marmite sandwiches with the crusts cut off (don't ask me why, comfort food I think!) and cheese and bananas.

Good luck!

NorthernMoose Fri 18-Sep-09 15:09:24

Ah yes, bananas, should have thought of that! I'll have a look at those bars too, thanks so much.

lemontop Fri 18-Sep-09 17:23:50

Hi northernmoose I was wondering this myself. Was thinking of fruit and maybe some pitta bread / sandwiches. There's a few of us with GD on this thread by the way.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/815355-Gestational-Diabetes#16858649

BlueBumedFly Fri 18-Sep-09 19:36:49

Here are the bars I was talking about, they are LOW GI so they give long energy release. I lived on them running up to birth, literally, then I had a few in labour too. When I got home I saw them and thought I would have a munch and dry heaved.... I guess some things change when you are no longer pregnant!!

They are nice though, I think I just overdosed! I got mine in Sainsburys:

www.carmansfinefoods.com.au/original_fruit_free_muesli.php

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: