Talk

Advanced search

THIRD BIRTHS!!!! Please come and tell me about yours .........................

(24 Posts)
mosschops30 Fri 18-Sep-09 11:01:09

Am getting to that phase now where am slightly nervous about giving birth again. Part of me thinks 'oh 3rd baby piece of piss' and another part thinks 'you could have 10 births and theyd all be completely different so anything goes'.

I had dd 13 years ago, spontaneous labour, 4 days late, 25 hours long, but easy birth at the end, she was 6lbs 11.
I had ds 4 years ago, induced as he was 15 days late, 6.5 hour labour, again easy delivery, no stitches. He was 7lbs7.5.

I dont remember one labour being any more panful than the other. Both times just had gas & air and pethidine.

Please share your experiences of 3rd births with me, whether it was longer/shorter more/less painful, bigger/smaller baby {smile] TIA

alwayslookingforanswers Fri 18-Sep-09 11:04:46

3rd birth - amazing, amazing, amazing. Much shorter (although the only time I'd gone into spontaneous labour, had a induced VBAC and a CS before), probably just as painful as DS2's birth, all my babies were similar sizes.

Scorps Fri 18-Sep-09 11:07:42

3rd birth at home at 41 weeks. At 4.30pm my back started aching, DH home at 5.15pm and i had a bath. MW at 5.45, baby at 7.20.

I had gas and air for about the last 45 minutes of labour. She was 8lb 9oz, and i'm normally a size 6/8 and i felt every oz of that grin. No tears or anything. At 9.30pm we were tucked up on sofa with champers and chinese grin

lou031205 Fri 18-Sep-09 11:13:44

1st - Induced 39+6, not sure how long labour was, because I was suddenly in pain, and then ready to push, but they think around 4 hours, judging from CTG tracings. Gas & air for last 1.5 hours. 2nd degree tear, stitches.

2nd - Induced 35+3, waters broken 5.30pm, gas & air & pethidine, had her at 01.00. No tears, just a graze.

3rd - Induced 38+5, waters broken at 09.30, pottered in hospital grounds until 11 with contractions 3 mins apart - TENS on. Gas & air from 11-12.50pm when DD3 born. No tears or grazes. so 3 hrs 20 mins.

mosschops30 Fri 18-Sep-09 11:21:32

Now these are the kind of 3rd birth stories Im after grin, my MW has said 3rd births can go either way, either super fast or longer than first shock
Scorps, your birth sounds perfect

rolledhedgehog Fri 18-Sep-09 11:27:01

1st birth - epic pre-labour, augmented, epidural, all day and evening, special care but fine, tiny tear, no stiches 8lbs 1oz

2nd birth - 4.5 hours, completely natural, got to hospital 10 mins before birth accidently, lovely! 8lbs 1oz again!

3rd birth - waters started to leak on due date, planned a home birth so they let me wait a week with regular monitoring but nothing happened. Went in for induction and given one dose of pessary. Hours and hours later went into labour although not sure if this was pessary or natural. Labour 1.5 hours! Very painful and baby in distress as cord around neck so stressful. 8lbs 2 oz.

EasyEggs Fri 18-Sep-09 13:27:32

1st - 6days late, woke with contractions, had pethadine and gas & air, 10hrs from 1st contraction, ds born 7lb 6oz, no tears etc.

2nd - 6days late, woke with contractions, no pain relief, 5hrs from 1st contraction, ds2 born 7lb 13oz, no tears etc.

3rd - 8days late, woke with contractions, no pain relief, 3hrs from 1st contraction, dd born 9lb 4oz, no tears etc, delivered in bathroom at home by dp as mw didn't arrive in time for planned hb grin She just flew out lol

EasyEggs Fri 18-Sep-09 13:28:46

Obviously I mean the baby flew out, not the mw, now that would have been odd hmm grin

sweetkitty Fri 18-Sep-09 13:34:57

My third - 5 days overdue 8lbs 5ozs, 1 hour 35 mins from "DP my waters have just gone" to baby out in arms. G&A for last 45 mins, didn't even push her out my body expelled her head in one contraction her body with the other. Had no stiches but lost a fair bit of blood which made me anaemic for a bit.

One thing I would say is get good pain relief for the afterpains, I think my body didn't realise the baby was out and I was still having contractions, nice hot shower and some cocodamol later we were both tucked up in bed.

weegiemum Fri 18-Sep-09 13:35:33

1st - 4 days early. Woke with contractions at 5am, went to hospital at noon as back excrucuating, told I was 1cm! Back to back labour which needed a drip for a couple of hours, all sorts of pain relief except epidural, finally born 37 hours later by ventouse, she was 9lb12oz!

2nd - 10 days early. Waters broke 10pm, went to hospital at midnight (lived in remote area). Night of tens/no sleep, ds born at 8 am no bother at all, save a couple of wee stitches.

3rd - induced at 37 weeks as I was ill. One dose of gel was all it took. Gel at 6am, couple more hours kip, walked around till 5pm, she was born at 6pm. After the first couple of hours it was just like normal labour, though the prostin pains to begin with were pretty sharp!

weegiemum Fri 18-Sep-09 13:36:14

Oh and my 3rd was "only" 7lb15 - goodness knows what she would have been if I had gone to due date!

castille Fri 18-Sep-09 13:40:41

My 3rd was induced at just under 39 weeks but once labour started it was much the same as the previous two. Only I was better prepared and felt more in control so it was the best of the 3 in that respect.

And the shortest - it was all over in a couple of hours.

gingertoo Fri 18-Sep-09 13:44:46

3rd birth was lovely, lovely, lovely

10lb baby - 5 hour labour - no pain relief wonderful midwife.

Ditto Sweetkitty - afterpains awful (they lasted a good couple of weeks and were terrible when I was bfing) so stock up on the pain killers!

mummy2t Fri 18-Sep-09 13:54:02

oh you are all making me feel soooooooooo much better, due anytime really with my third and was hearing all sorts of horror stories, i feel back to relaxed now !!!!!!!!!!

SpawnChorus Fri 18-Sep-09 14:46:47

Best thread I've read in a long time grin

mosschops30 Fri 18-Sep-09 17:44:49

Oh thank you all so much, what a fab collection of 'good' 3rd births, am feeling much better now too grin

marjean Fri 18-Sep-09 21:08:42

Wish I'd read this before my third - was dreading it because of all the reasons in the op. For the record, it was great. It had the best elements of both previous births. I worried that my 'luck had run out' but it was lovely lovely lovely. At home, in water, baby large (nearly twice the size of baby no 1!) but no tears or problems.

Celery Fri 18-Sep-09 21:19:01

My third birth was my hardest birth. Same length of time as my second one, no major problems as such, but just much harder work, more tiring, more painful. There you go. Every birth is different and anything goes, there is no set pattern.

Poledra Fri 18-Sep-09 21:22:28

Third birth best of the three - induced with syntocinon at 40+1 for medical reasons, couldn't have gel (VBAC). Epidural throughout, snoozed through the contractions (for about 4 hours), pushed her out in 29 minutes. On (exceptionally fantastic) mw's instructions, caught DD3 under her arms myself, and pulled her up onto my chest <weeps a little>.

One small tear which was the scar tissue from the epic tear with DD2. 8lb 11oz. Wonderful birth, beautiful baby. Spent 5 days in SCBU, but that was due to the condition for which I was being induced.

neolara Fri 18-Sep-09 21:22:57

DC 1 was 4 1/2 hours from first twinge to being born. Was bloody painful though as back to back.

DC 2 was about 4 hours but really not that sore at all. I had a bit of gas and air towards the end.

DC 3 was 30 mins from start to finish. Basically one 25 min contraction with the odd 30 seconds off. DH delivered in the kitchen and ambulance and midwife turned up a few mins later. Sore, but exhilarating. Everything was fine and now I think it's great that it was DIY! Makes it even more special.

ThePrettiestStar Fri 18-Sep-09 22:33:21

1st: spotaneous labour at 37+ 2, 29 hour labour 6.55 lb. Gas + air, pethidine and epidural

2nd: induction at 41 wks, 12 hour labour. 10.75 lb. Gas + air, pethidine and epidural

3rd: induction at 38 wks, 12 hour labour. Gas + air, epidural at 8cm dilation.

The last one I felt so much more in control and could nearly have gone the full way without the epidural ( I say this in the safety that I haven't crowned without epidural before!)

ThePrettiestStar Fri 18-Sep-09 22:35:23

Oops 3rd's weight was 7.13lb

GaribaldiGirl Sat 19-Sep-09 12:43:05

50 minutes. faster by hours than the 2 before and 2 subsequent ones.

PinkTulips Sat 19-Sep-09 12:59:41

really quick... my older two were 18+ hours each of slow stop start irritating labour but really quick at the end.

ds2 i woke up at 6am with a huge fuck off contraction and had him just before midday.... would have been sooner i think but i was doing everything in my power to slow labour down as my mother still hadn't arrived by gone 9 and we're an hour from the hospital! once i got there he flew out so fast the mw almost missed the birth.

was a brilliant birth and we were all clear to come right home but the silly bugger got a face full of blood on the way out and ended up with pneumonia and was in SCBU for 5 days sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now