Talk

Advanced search

NHS VBAC in water - any success stories?

(5 Posts)
wasabipeanut Thu 17-Sep-09 14:21:29

Ok, I have been looking around the VBAC threads but haven't managed to find an answer to this one yet.

Assuming I actually manage to achieve spontaneous labour this time, what are the chances of me being able to persuade my consultant to let me labour in water?

I have my first consultant app next week - will only be 21 weeks so plenty of time to discuss.

Background is failed induction leading to em cs just over 2 years ago.

Anyone got any tips?

asuwere Thu 17-Sep-09 18:12:18

just to give you hope - I used the pool when attempting VBAC with DS3 - it was the MW who suggested it. She was very pro-VBAC though so not sure if that helped and I was just lucky. In fact, she also said that I didn't need CFM - the consultant didn't look too happy about it but as the MW had already agreed, he couldn't do anything about it!

Remember, doesn't really matter what the consultant says - it's the MW's on duty when you go into labour that can make the decisions!

MrsHappy Thu 17-Sep-09 20:47:55

Hi Wasabi

I'm hoping for a VBAC in water too. All things being ok I am hoping to book into the MLU at the hospital and the midwives have certainly not suggested that the pool will be out of bounds, so fingers crossed. So far my consultant's view is that she would like me to be on the CLU, have monitoring etc, but that I can do what I want. I have a consultant meeting next week so will let you know if anything changes, but I have now convinced myself that I am going in that pool so I would like to see them try and stop me...! Am 35 weeks BTW, so we should find out whether it is doable soon!

asuwere Fri 18-Sep-09 10:28:09

Meant to say, you also have to remember that the pool might not be available when you go into labour so it might not be an option anyway. (not trying to sound negative, just so you are prepared just in case!)

wasabipeanut Fri 18-Sep-09 13:40:00

Thanks for this everyone. I am prepared for the fact that the pool might not be available but I'd like the chance to even use a bath for early pain relief if the pool isn't available. Not ideal but better than nowt.

Your comment that its down to the midwives is interesting - I assumed that consultants were in charge! Am quite happy to see that isn't the case.

Best of luck Mrshappy - I'll be looking out for your birth announcement!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now