Talk

Advanced search

What to wear for a waterbirth?

(14 Posts)
TrixieVix Thu 17-Sep-09 12:44:59

Sorry if this is a daft question, but I'm 40+3 and am fast loosing the plot!!

What do you wear for a hospital waterbirth? I'm not comfortable with the idea of being totally starkers (had a normal birth with DS and never felt the urge to strip off) so just wondering?

Do I wear a bikini and if so, just the top? Do I wear bikini bottoms until it's time to deliver?? I just don't know!

All suggestions welcome - thanks in advance smile

MyCatIsABiggerBastardThanYours Thu 17-Sep-09 12:47:07

I wore a big baggy old vest top (a mans one). When you get in don't wear any bottoms (when your about to deliver the very last thing you want to be thinking about is getting your knickers off) - you wont care once your in the water, the midwives have seen it all before and DH/DP will have his mind on other things (if he's there).

Good luck and I hope all goes well for you.

BunnyLebowski Thu 17-Sep-09 12:49:56

Absolutely nothing!

I thought I would wear a vest top but it just bogged the hell out of me as it went all heavy when it got wet.

Threw it off and padded about like a big wet naked fresian blush

I had dd at home though so probably felt more comfortable.

foxytocin Thu 17-Sep-09 12:52:23

a tankini?

I had a hwb and planned to use a vest top but things were fast and furious and i was naked. DD arrived before the midwives did. grin

MrsBadger Thu 17-Sep-09 12:59:08

hmm - unlike you I couldn't bear more clothes than I had too during labour, even before I got in the pool

the mws were even a bit hmm I had taken off my knickers when I chnaged into my nightshirt thing on admission, but they seemed monstrously uncomfortable to be contracting in

the minute I saw the pool I stripped the nightie off and leapt towards it like a woman demented
oh it was bliss

KAEKAE Thu 17-Sep-09 13:05:02

I am planning on wearing a tankini...oh and going to get a spray tan done too...hmm

pasturesnew Thu 17-Sep-09 13:08:22

Nothing but I suppose the most comfortable alternative would be a tankini top. T-shirt would get wet and heavy and bikini would prob itch under your boobs.

Waterbirth room feels darker, warmer and more private than the normal hospital rooms (no windows, dimmer lighting etc.) so you might actually feel like stripping off after all.

SassJ Thu 17-Sep-09 13:08:48

I'm hoping for a WB with mine, and as my once DD's have exploded in comedy-boob H cups I will be keeping my bra on!! It's either that or I know I'll be more irritated with them flopping about than with the contractions!
I'm also going to take a t-shirt with me just in case I feel that total strangers just keep appearing uninvited, and my comfort levels are low. However, to be honest I'm thinking I just won't care about modesty at a certain stage!
This is my first, so nothing to compare it to.

gingerbunny Thu 17-Sep-09 13:24:25

i wore the top half of the tankini, i did take a big baggy tshirt too, but dh ended up wearing it, as it was so hot in the room!!!

TrixieVix Thu 17-Sep-09 14:12:38

SassJ - that's exactly the problem I've got...I'm a J cup and don't want my 'huge milk filled swingers' (as DH amusingly referred to them the other day) dangling about! I'm conscious enough of them at the best of times...letalone when mooing like a cow!

That's what made me question what to wear - surely a bra isn't going to be comfortable once wet? Therefore a bikini would be a better idea? Would go for a tankini to cover dreaded stretch marks too, but not forking out for a maternity tankini just to labour in!

Thank you all for your (mostly) really helpful contributions...maybe once I get in there I'll just whip everything off after all grin

happyjules Thu 17-Sep-09 21:41:16

Nothing but a smile grin. Once in the water it was bliss (both times). Good luck.

BertieBotts Thu 17-Sep-09 21:44:52

I forgot my "labour top" when I went into hospital, so they offered me a hospital gown. Lasted about 5 seconds as it annoyed me being wet and making me cold, and swishing about too much. I was happier naked - but then I usually am as long as nobody else is embarrassed grin

So whatever you pick make it close-fitting and preferably quick-drying, like a bikini/tankini top.

notnowbernard Thu 17-Sep-09 21:46:59

I've had hospital waterbirths and didn't wear anything

I think wearing clothing would have made it a bit uncomfortable, like bathing with clothes on

Karam Thu 17-Sep-09 22:06:24

I wore a strappy vest top. It was quite comfortable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now