Talk

Advanced search

Baby weights and health at 36 weeks- all experiences welcome!

(13 Posts)
JumpingJellyfish Wed 16-Sep-09 12:31:39

Due to a complicated pregnancy history (emcs at 30wks due to severe PE, emcs at 36wks due to PE) even if everything goes smoothly this time round (am 28wks with DC3, all well so far- touch wood) my consultant would like to plan for a c-section at 36 weeks. DD was born at this gestation, weighed 5lb 8oz, and needed a week in SCBU in spite of having had steroids prior to birth, but her breathing probs could have been partly due to her then undiagnosed cystic fibrosis.

I'd love to hear experiences of others having babies at 36 weeks (we know this LO doesn't have CF) as I would just so love to avoid SCBU this time so a bit of hope needed! My consultant may be persuaded to delay cs to 37 wks if BP behaves...but feels that is unlikely given my history!

Thanks!

CMOTdibbler Wed 16-Sep-09 12:36:17

My DS was born at 35+0, no steroids, weighed 6lb 5oz. He went straight to SCBU as he was grunty, had probs with body temperature, blood glucose and jaundice. He was tube fed and had an IV in for antibiotics for a few days, but was discharged fully bf at 6 days old and never looked back

paranoid2 Wed 16-Sep-09 12:36:55

My Dt's wre born at 36 weeks at only 4lbs each. I had steroids before the birth as it was a planned c section . No scbu. They were with me 20 mins after birth. They were in an incubator beside me for a day or so just to keep them warm. Was home within a week with both boys. probably kept in a bit longer than usual because of twins and a c section. They had no breathing problems. Good luck. Hope all goes well

cory Wed 16-Sep-09 14:01:03

Ds was born at week 36, following induction because of UGR, then emergency caesarian when his heartbeat went down. He weighed 5 lbs, I think (2500 grammes). He was in one of those incubator things in my room but did not have to go to SCBU. He was in fine shape, only very thin, breastfed, sent home within the week (and they were actually only keeping us in for my sake, because I had been unwell). He was stronger and fitter, though slightly smaller, than his sister who was born at 37+.

slushy06 Wed 16-Sep-09 17:53:34

MY sister was born at 36 weeks induced due to high blood pressure ended in emcs no steroids given she weighed 5 lbs 5 oz and needed no special care of any kind bf fine straight away. Hope it all goes well for you and your pressure stays low as long as possible.

mrswill Wed 16-Sep-09 19:31:15

My twin had a section for medical reasons at 35 weeks, her dd was born weighing 6lb 7oz, with no breathing difficulties, but had feeding problems,and ended up being tube fed for a while.
If there are no problems in this pregnancy, maybe get a second opinion from another consultant, as a few weeks make all the difference, although i can understand their reasoning for the 36 weeks.

Balamorybaby Wed 16-Sep-09 23:58:51

My twins were born earlier this year at 36 weeks. I'd had the steroid injections.

Twin 1: was 5lb 8oz, Twin 2: was 6lb 6oz. No special care required for either, they came home the next day smile

Good luck.

lilysam Thu 17-Sep-09 06:52:46

DS born at 36 weeks - went into labour before my planned section date. He was 6lb 7oz and spent 11 days in SCBU due to chest infection, breathing then feeding problems. He looked huge in SCBU smile Never got the steriod injection so that may be why (they thought i'd not have time for it to work). Once he came out i bf for 4 months.

Hope all goes well

goandshowdaddy Thu 17-Sep-09 18:52:40

My DS was born at 36 weeks. No problems, nice speedy labour, 5lb 10oz, bf straight away and went home the next day. Slight jaundice but no treatment needed.

Funnily enough, both my twin sister's DC were born at 36 weeks and they were both fine too. Maybe it runs in the family! She's pregnant again, with twins, so who knows what'll happen this time?!

Good luck

Bleatblurt Thu 17-Sep-09 18:56:48

My DS3 was born at 36 weeks (or more likely a few days off of 36 weeks) and weighed 7lb 9.5oz - quite chubby for that gestation! grin

He started off fine and had an apgar of 9 at birth but then had some trouble breathing so was taken to scbu - was RDS. Poor wee man then developed a pneumothorax (sp?) and had to have a drain inserted into his chest to let the air out so his lung could inflate. He did heal very quickly and was home at 10 days old.

mummy2t Thu 17-Sep-09 20:37:45

ds1 born 36 weeks, 6lb 2oz, no special care, 2 days on normal ward with me just to keep an eye on temp.
ds2 born at 37 weeks 6lb 8oz and we went home about 3 hours after birth
good luck xxx

JumpingJellyfish Fri 18-Sep-09 10:33:43

Thank you all so much Sounds like a mix of experiences, some needing SCBU some not, but glad all were ok in the end and it wasn't too long in hospital.

I saw my consultant yesterday and she's pleased that my BP etc. is behaving so far and has now said if all stays behaved she would let me have a planned c-section at 38 weeks!! Can't quite imagine getting that far, or having a "normal" sized baby who shouldn't need SCBU, but she's given me much needed hope. And if things do follow the same pattern with DD at least I'm prepared for what it may entail, which isn't too scary!

cpanda Mon 21-Sep-09 14:00:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now