Talk

Advanced search

Never too late for 'thankyou' note etc; WWYD?

(8 Posts)
llandb Tue 15-Sep-09 20:35:39

So, after the lurverly people - midwives, ECS team, recovery room folk, ward staff - were so very nice and helpful to me mid-last year, I fully intended a big thankyou note plus flowers or choccy to each team.

But what with one thing and another out of the blue (mostly visitor-related, y'know how it is hmm), or just foolishly not anticipated by me, well, it all got put on the back burner. In fact, it didn't happen.

So I thought, well, I'll do it for Christmas.
And when that didn't happen - well, for DD's first birthday.

Now I had better just take myself by the scruff and do it. The optimum moment will probably be pretty soon, when I anticipate that a friend will provide me with an opportunity to go back there in person and visit a baby

I suppose it will be a matter of going to the lovely staff at the desk and saying 'here are some notes etc for the blah blah blah teams'.

But WWYD? Just big thankyou notes? Flowers? Choccies? How does it work in hospitals? Would the people it applies to even get to see the flowers/eat the choccies? (I can only remember about three names out of many blush)

TIA for all your suggestions (and humble acceptance of any well-deserved chastisement)

claricebeansmum Tue 15-Sep-09 20:38:59

I would just write a letter, naming specific people. They'll be absolutely chuffed.

KEAWYED Tue 15-Sep-09 20:40:33

I done my straight away with DS3 because after all the good intentions I had with DS1&2 I never got round to it.

I was going to buy flowers but I ended up buying a tray of the huge muffins from costco and danishes.

My husband dropped them off for me and he said the midwives looked chuffed to bits and were helping themselves before he had even left.

If you cant remember names just put your babies name and date on a thank-you card and thanking everyone for their help.

GirlsAreLOud Tue 15-Sep-09 20:41:11

I just sent a card thanking everyone and specifically XXX our midwife and "the doctor who performed our forceps delivery".

blush

Chuffed at the idea they might have been chuffed though.

KEAWYED Tue 15-Sep-09 20:43:17

We don't use the word chuffed enough in the english language grin

PinkTulips Tue 15-Sep-09 20:55:13

DS2 was in scbu in february and a thank you card is still on my to do list blush

llandb Wed 16-Sep-09 12:12:33

Thanks everyone, some great ideas there, and lots of flexiblity. Will go away and think about it, but am leaning towards letter/card with name and date and having to apologise for not naming names as there were so many (a good opt-out!)

As it will probably be just me 'n' DD and we'll be taking the bus and she'll be walking and/or in the sling, unfortunately I can't see myself toting in any muffins, although it's quite understandable that they would be popular! Maybe one of those huge tins of Cadbury choccies would be in order, if I wanted to do anything more than 'the note'?

Sorry to fly back in and add to the question, but what are people's opinions about attaching a photo of the child they delivered, one year on? Is it a silly thing to do? And I know that a lot of hospitals have specific policies about photographs of children.

And I'm relieved - if not exactly chuffed - to learn that I'm not the only one who doesn't get around to this blush

So, to any midwives or other delivery/recovery people reading this, take note - we all intend to thank you, even if we don't!

trafficwarden Wed 16-Sep-09 13:45:56

Ah, that's lovely! As Midwives, we appreciate any gesture people make to say thank you. I love the cards and notes, no matter how long after the birth. I have one particular favourite with a smudged footprint from the baby.
And photos at any point in time are great too (helps if Mum and Dad are in the photo to push start the old memory but Mums often look so different with their clothes and make up on!! )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now