Talk

Advanced search

C section staples or stitches - I have been given the choice - and I have no clue

(23 Posts)
timmette Mon 14-Sep-09 14:19:51

Have just had a doctors appointment and since I will be having a c section, I mentioned that with ds I had stitches and was it the same here -no longer in the UK sad. And she said here it is standard practice to use staples - but if I would be more relaxed with stitches she could do that. Is there actually any difference, is one better than the other? Does anyone know anythign or have some advice - it would be really appreciated. Thanks

AstronomyDomine Mon 14-Sep-09 14:23:29

I had the single stitch - just one long thread in a loop. The MW who took it out pressed down on on end, started pulling and then let go; it all came out very easily and I didn't feel a thing (but MW felt a little queazy grin)... however the poor lady in the bed opposite me was practically on the ceiling with her lots of single stitches when they were removed, so it's different for everybody I suppose.
My son had staples when he had his appendix taken out - I know it's not the same thing - and the removal was amazingly easy. A little contraption a bit like scissors just squeezes the middle of each stable and lifts the sides of each staple up so it can just be lifted off - and trust me, he's a complete wimp when it comes to pain.

smallorange Mon 14-Sep-09 14:26:56

i've had three c-sections and had disolving stitches each time. no need to remove, they just seem to dissolve

timmette Mon 14-Sep-09 15:49:34

Thanks for the replies - yes I also had stitches for ds and they were fine - I was just thinking is there any advantage to staples - I am assuming if she is using staples on a daily basis she may do a better job with them - trying to be logical - lol.

beautifulgirls Mon 14-Sep-09 16:24:09

Staples are much quicker for the surgeon to put in, so it speeds up the procedure time, hopefully allowing you out of there all that bit quicker.

lazylion Mon 14-Sep-09 16:25:46

My consultant thinks that staples leave you with a neater scar. This worked for me; my first cs I had the single stitch thing with beads on the end, the scar was a nasty mess. Next two cs have been staples and much better scars.

timmette Mon 14-Sep-09 16:43:00

lazylion can I just ask did it hurt to have the staples out - I am a wimp smile.

MissisBoot Mon 14-Sep-09 16:45:45

I had staples with an emcs. No problem to take out - midwife just snipped them and pulled them out probably on day 5 or 6. No pain involved!

The staples were mildly uncomfortable when I had them in - more of a pulling sensation when I was going from sitting to standing but I think that was more of how my scar was - as it was emcs they had to get in there quick!

Bleatblurt Mon 14-Sep-09 16:45:48

I couldn't have stapes. The image of a giant stapler squishing my bits of skin back together makes me shudder. I'm sure that's now at all how it's done but the image is in my head now. blush

I've had the long single stitch wire thingy 3 times and had no problems with that. Having it removed was very quick and painless. And my scars are very neat too (I have 2).

lilysam Mon 14-Sep-09 16:46:38

Have had 2 and both dissolvable stiches, in 2 different hospitals. No problems

LeonieSoSleepy Mon 14-Sep-09 16:59:47

Message withdrawn

JemL Mon 14-Sep-09 17:14:41

My mum had staples with both my sisters and had an infection in the scar each time - she was told there was a greater risk of infection with them. THis was years ago though!

Claire2009 Mon 14-Sep-09 17:24:08

I've had 2 c sections in France. Both with staples, didn't hurt at all when they were taken out a week later. Scar barely visible 2yrs on.

MissMoopy Mon 14-Sep-09 18:08:15

Dissolvable stitches.

lazylion Mon 14-Sep-09 19:02:23

staple removal did hurt a bit but more like a quick sting than anything worse. i am a wimp too and it was fine. butterball i did feel the staples going in and it did feel like you imagine it - sounded like a staple gun teachers use.

sheepgomeep Mon 14-Sep-09 22:44:00

I had staples with dd2, my scar burst wide open 2 days after delivery due to an infection and huge bloodclots behind it. It didn't heal for 2 months and the district nurses had to come in every day to change the dressings

I am not a fan of staples

EightiesChick Mon 14-Sep-09 22:49:29

I had dissolving stitches with my CS and my scar is brilliant, really neat and no problems. With other surgeries I have had staples and still have little white marks down either side of the scar where the staples were. Plus I had a student taking them out once and while I appreciate that everyone has to learnt, it hurt each time she snapped one. So I'd definitely say stitches. I have to suspect that staples are easier for the clinicians (and possibly cheaper) but stitches would suit you, the patient, better.

flaminhell Mon 14-Sep-09 23:06:24

First one I had staples second one stiches, the staples for me were soooo much better, so I say staples.

timmette Tue 15-Sep-09 07:52:17

wow so it really is down to the individual - hmm - what to do. My scar from ds is also almost invisible with stitches - on the other hand I do trust my doctor to do a good job with staples.

LeonieSoSleepy Tue 15-Sep-09 07:55:22

Message withdrawn

SchnitzelVonKrumm Wed 16-Sep-09 19:43:13

I was asked this, dr said as an afterthought "you're not allergic to nickel, are you?". i am, horribly shock - no staples for me.

eastendmummy Wed 16-Sep-09 20:45:47

I had dissolving stitches which were fab as my scar healed really well and there was no need for anyone to remove my stitches - I think I would have been a wreck if they'd come anywhere near me with the idea of doing that!

jo1rich Tue 22-Sep-09 11:28:58

Had staples first time and they bloomin hurt being taken out. Had the single stitch with the beady thing 2nd time - much nicer. Never know I might have nice dissolving stitches this time - hopefully.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now