Talk

Advanced search

I you were 32 weeks pg and your waters were leaking???

(13 Posts)
Xena Fri 03-Jun-05 21:20:26

Would the hospital let you home without doing anything?

My Sister has been to the hospital and she is 32wks pg (although she says she is 35 the hospital disagree).
She told us that the hospital say that her waters are leaking, but they have done nothing and sent her home. Is this normal?

expatinscotland Fri 03-Jun-05 21:21:30

I wouldn't think so. Mears, where are you?

starlover Fri 03-Jun-05 21:24:10

hmmm, i think that it CAN be normal, if her waters haven't broken completely.

as i understand it, waters will renew themselves... so leaking does not mean imminent labour or anything.

did they say anything else? is she having midwife appts regularly?

sure someone else with a little more knowledge will come along soon!

Xena Fri 03-Jun-05 21:27:55

Yes I was told that they could reseal themselves when it happened in my first pg but they kept me in hospital overnight to monitor me and gave me steriods to mature the babies lungs.
Something about her story doesn't ring true to me she was only at the hospital for about 1.5 hrs.
But if she is telling the truth then the hospital is being neglagent IMO

starlover Fri 03-Jun-05 21:36:44

it may depend how much leaking she has had.
perhaps if it was just a tiny bit they weren't too worried?

also different hospitals will have diff policies... slightly different, but I know that if your waters go completely (when you're due) and you don't go into labour, some places will only leave you 24hrs before inducing, some will leave you 72!

she is reasonably far along, and I think if the hospital were worried they would have kept her in

Xena Fri 03-Jun-05 21:47:20

The hospital she is under has been in the news and local papers recently for the high rate of neonatal death, the whole thing worries me.

Xena Fri 03-Jun-05 21:50:05

I mean if she is lyin why?? Also the hospitals reputation

starlover Sat 04-Jun-05 10:52:44

she may not be lying... but it may not be THAT bad....

if she is worried then she should speak to her midwife, and seek a second opinion.

tammybear Sat 04-Jun-05 10:59:21

i was a month before my due date when my waters broke. hospital sent me home cos i wasnt contracting. and when i first went in, i was only there for just under 2hours. they monitored dd's heartbeat, did an internal, told me my waters broke, monitored dd again, then sent me home

starshaker Sat 04-Jun-05 10:59:36

i think if ur waters are leaking it depends on which part fore waters or hind waters if its 1 of them (cant remember which) then its not really a problem as it will seal itself again. might be wrong but think thats what the doc said to me when i went in when i thought mine had gone

natts Sat 04-Jun-05 11:05:57

yes they can, they usally do a scan to see if there is plenty of liquor in side, they would decide based on how much is left. if it is a trickle then the liquor coming out will be replace by new liquor, so as long as the amount coming out get replenished they don't worry to much

mears Sat 04-Jun-05 11:20:23

If this correct then I would be concerned. In my unit, someone admitted with waters leaking ar 32 weeks would have had a swab taken, would have probably been given steroids and would have been started on erythromycin which is an antibiotic that has been associated with improving outcomes when membranes have ruptured prematurely. She would be kept in hospital to observe the loss and also to observe for signs of labour.

Xena Sat 04-Jun-05 11:58:01

Thanks mears. Her first baby was born early due to what they think was an infection. She is being very flippent about it IYKWIM Which is why I can't make up my mind if she is lying or if she should be more concerned.
The baby had a high infection rate when she was born

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now