Talk

Advanced search

what pants to wear straight after a c section? + bleeding question

(19 Posts)
sleepysox Fri 11-Sep-09 09:34:53

I was planning on a homebirth and so had bought some of those nasty paper knickers for the first few days. But now due to medical issues concerning the baby I need to have a c section.

Can I still wear those sexy paper pants or will I need the even more gorgeous Primark giant apple catcher knickers?

Also, how much will I bleed? I bled lots after my first (vaginal) birth- I used to soak through 3 pads stuck together in about 2 hours in the 1st 3 days. Will the blood loss be significantly less?

Hope someone can help,

Sleepy

moodlumthehoodlum Fri 11-Sep-09 09:39:24

Hi sleepy - I saw your other thread, and I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time.

When I had sections I bled quite a lot both times, as with vaginal birth. I went to tesco and bought some super sexy massivo massivo cheapo cotton pants so a)they were massive enough to go gently over my scar, and b)they were cheap enough to not care that they would get a bit stained and c)nice and comfy unlike horrible paper pants which are too awful.

aquababe Fri 11-Sep-09 09:39:57

Hmm i bled more on my c section than on my natural birth.

Any pants that won't cut in where your section line is are good. I bought cheap tesco bucket pants

Rosesinautumn Fri 11-Sep-09 09:50:35

Will be having my third c-section in Jan and I will definatly go for the apple catchers again. My first c-section was an emergancy, so had only got those paper knickers. Horrid, horrid, horrid. Uncomfortable and didn't keep towel in place. Big pants give you some tummy support and as blood loss is comparable to a vaginal birth you'll still need plenty of pads, someone told me a trick of putting one or two night time pads overlapping first and then put a maternity pad on top of them to guard against leakage. hth.

MamaG Fri 11-Sep-09 10:01:59

Hi sleepy - I bled about the same afer my CS as I did after 2 VBs. I had taken "normal" knickers in to hospital and they were so uncomfortable as the elastic sat just on the CS opening - my friend had to go to Asda for me for biiig cotton knickers that came up to my waist grin

They were cheap so I didn't care that they were thrown away afterwards and they were SO comfy! Don't even consider the paper pants

stubbyfingers Fri 11-Sep-09 10:08:25

Another vote here for cheapo granny pants that you can just throw away. Also, once you're feeling a bit better and the stitches are out, I recommend the 'seamless' type knickers that you can get in primark/tesco etc. They're very soft with a wide band of soft material rather than elastic in cotton IYSWIM so even if they sit on your scar, they don't irritate it.

Good luck with it all smile

sleepysox Fri 11-Sep-09 10:30:47

Thanks for your replies- apple catchers it is then.

Thanks for your kind words moodlum.

Can anyone tell me where the scar will be? How high up your tummy? I really have no idea about c sections.

When I find the time I will do some research. blush

stubbyfingers Fri 11-Sep-09 11:03:47

My scar runs just along the knicker elastic line - sort of under where your bump is now - and about 6ish inches long.

Chynah Fri 11-Sep-09 18:05:24

My scar runs just along the top of my bikini line (so sits slightly below even normal skimpy knickers!) and is about 5 inches. For after the Op I bought a cheapo pack of Primark big pants in a size up and they were great.

meakin Fri 11-Sep-09 18:14:49

I was given some odd mesh knickers by the hospital so that scar would keep cool. No idea where you could get them from but they worked.

wonderingwondering Fri 11-Sep-09 18:20:32

Another vote for the biggest pants you can find - mine came up to my belly button. As well as being comfy, I think they support your stomach muscles quite well - they can be a bit tender and inflamed after a CS. And they hold the mat pads in place quite well.

But be warned, they are addictive - DS is five and I still have several pairs in my drawer!

bamboobutton Fri 11-Sep-09 18:21:10

my scar is quite far down into my pubey area(tmigrin)

i only used the hospital pads when i had my cs, the midwives mocked my always night-time and said to used the mattresses pads they supplied. by the time i got home the bleeding was down enough for night-time pads to cope without leaking.

sleepysox Fri 11-Sep-09 20:19:45

Brilliant info- thanks everyone.

SingingBear Fri 11-Sep-09 20:22:48

Message withdrawn

dilemmadilemma Fri 11-Sep-09 20:25:23

I have a very low down pubey scar as well.

I used the tena pants when in hospital as it did ant and pad in one also elasticated so very supportive. Granny knickers when at home

SingingBear Fri 11-Sep-09 20:26:42

Message withdrawn

quirkychick Fri 11-Sep-09 21:05:05

I had paper pants in hospital, as hadn't been planning on c-section and then sent dp for big, cotton pants when I got home.

Also, any under bump maternity stuff such as trousers etc. you have is very uncomfortable post c-section. You need waistbands that are really on your waist.

SingingBear I had been looking at those in the catalogue as pg with dc2 and will possibly have elective c-section. Will bear in mind closer to the time!

LilMissPerimenopause Sat 12-Sep-09 01:15:01

In hospital I was given some of the mesh knicker thingies but when I got back home
I wore big granny style pants.

The scar was right down just above my pubey-type area too, so my granny pants fitting on my waist were great.

sleepysox Sat 12-Sep-09 06:40:45

Those hosital pants look a bit strange, but look weirdly comfy. I've seen them in JoJoMaman Bebe I think, so I'll add those to the list.

I'm glad the scar is so low down, so I should be able to wear my maternity trousers/ PJs afterwards as they come right over my bump.

I wish the surgeons would do a tummy tuck and lipo at the same time grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now