Talk

Advanced search

Home birth after 3rd degree tear?

(6 Posts)
MrsMerryHenry Thu 10-Sep-09 22:38:48

I laboured brilliantly on my own, got to hospital at 7 cm, then had a bit of a random bleed (I think most likely due to fibroids - it wasn't investigated afterwards, though) and so was whisked up onto the bed. Baby ended up 'in distress' (surprise surprise, look at my birthing position) and I had to push him out pretty fast so had 3rd degree tear.

Having done labour all by myself with essentially very little intervention and only the slightest glimmer of a puff of G&A I would like to try a homebirth this time around. Anyone have any informed information about the likelihood of being supported in this/ any possible risks?

lou4791 Fri 11-Sep-09 08:33:08

Hi. You would be maximising your chances of not tearing badly by planning a home birth, possibly in water, and breathing baby out slowly at the end, supported by a good midwife who can guide you through this bit. It seems as you know that any perceived problems with baby's heartbeat could well have been due to the position that you were in, and the tear due to having to push him out so quickly. Of course there are risks to home birth, but there are also risks to hospital births. Have a look at the home birth uk website, and the uk midwifery archives on third degree tears. I really don't know how supportive your caregivers will be, but if they are unsupportive I think that's quite unjustified. Of course there is always the chance of having a third degree tear again, although I think the risk is small, but it would obviously mean a transfer to hospital to be sutured. good luck. lou x

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Fri 11-Sep-09 20:51:02

I'm debating this (not pg yet). I pushed too quickly becaus I panicked which caused mine. Laboured at home and got to hospital at 8cm so I know I'd be comfortable at home, and am fairly confident I can avoid pushing too fast next time but am also worried about weakened perineum and what if it happens again. I would hate to have to go to hospital to be stitched after a HB TBH.

The doctor afterwards told me I should have a CS next time hmm but the consultant told me I was healing well and no reason why I shouldn't have a VB. Friends have suggested I have an epi to slow things down but I'm not keen on that ither.

MrsMerryHenry Sat 12-Sep-09 23:14:45

Thanks for suggested links, lou4791, I'll take a look at those. I am encouraged by both of your posts to know that my expectations are grounded in sound fact and not just wishful thinking!

How ridiculous that you were recommended a CS, kat - was this the doctor who was attending during the birth? Honestly, in their overcautiousness they sometimes do tend towards creating a more disadvantageous outcome for the mother.

I do have a friend who laboured in hosp after 3rd deg with DC1, she had a 2nd degree tear with DC2 but don't know what led to that.

I shall do some more investigation between now and the big day.

Rosiemw Sun 13-Sep-09 16:45:33

Hi. I don't post much but wanted to encourage you. I had a third degree tear with my first daughter (wrong birthing position plus worries over her heartbeat - unfounded as it turned out).
I saw two consultants when I said I wanted a home birth - the first said absolutely not because the community midwives wouldn't be able to support me correctly. Furious community midwives then demanded second opinion and the other consultant recommended it as a good option to reduce tearing (lack of stress etc). I was warned constantly that I may well have another third degree tear and need stitching in hospital however.

I had my second girl at home six weeks ago in an inflatable pool - it was much, much better and the midwives were fab. I tore again, but second degree this time, and was able to stay at home for stitching. Even if I had needed hospital transfer I would still reommend for the support and much better experience of birthing at home. I'd definitely encourage you to look into it

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Mon 14-Sep-09 10:40:15

I don't know who the doctor was - she just appeared on the ward afterwards to 'de-brief' me on the birth. It seemed a ridiculous suggestion at the time, especially as I had just blooming given birth and there would be plenty of time in the future to think about birth options for the next one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now