Talk

Advanced search

Give me the low down on sweeps, please!

(25 Posts)
usernametaken Wed 09-Sep-09 20:07:29

I have a 'stretch and sweep' booked for this weekend, I'll be 40+5 by then.

What are the chances of it working?
I take it that it is rather uncomfortable whilst the sweep is being done. How long does it take? How quick could it work? How does one feel afterwards?
Should I do anything after it to help things on their way, e.g a long walk, bouncing on ball, sex ( hmm )?

Many thanks!

JRocks Wed 09-Sep-09 20:12:16

I think it only works if you are 'favourable'... I had one this afternoon and it was uncomfortable to say the least. Have been having strong cramping and some Braxton Hicks (I think) but no doubt that will all settle overnight and dwindle to nothing hmm smile

I'm only 37+5 though so could be a winner for you. Good luck!

herbietea Wed 09-Sep-09 20:16:44

Message withdrawn

StayFrosty Wed 09-Sep-09 20:18:09

I had one booked when I was around 41 weeks with my dd. The MW couldn't do it because my cervix was still too hard and closed. I went into labour naturally a few days later though.

JRocks <waves> can I please be nosey and ask you why they did yours at 37 + 5? I am 38 + 1 and thinking of asking the MW at tomorrow's appt for one - an obstetrician I saw last month in conjunction with something else told me that they will do them at over 37 weeks if you are super mega uncomfortable, and I am on crutches with SPD and just at the end of my tether - but then other people have said tney will only do them if you're overdue.

Sorry for hijack username, and good luck with it all.

LittleHarrysMum Wed 09-Sep-09 20:24:27

I had one with DD. Had it at 2pm and was in labour by 5pm had DD at 23.41.

It was by no means a comfortable experience though! (the sweep not the labour!) and if you can go without I would. I have no idea if I would have gone into labour at that time anyway. Although saying that I think it also depends on the midwife performing it.

usernametaken Wed 09-Sep-09 20:25:33

No worries about the hijack...very interested to hear how others got them so early. I asked the MW for one today, but she said it was better to wait a little longer as there is more chance of it working.

Herbie- 20 mins labour, wow!

JRocks Wed 09-Sep-09 20:35:32

Hi StayFrosty! <waves back> My consultant (I think) took pity on me and wants to help things along, she's so lovely! I was incredibly uncomfortable at my last appt with her 2 weeks ago, and have been told am expecting a large baby. Today she's said I can be induced on Monday, or earlier if the signs of PET pick up more. So it must depend on your midwife or consultant really. Can't do any harm to ask though! I have fairly mild SPD and that can be excruciating enough so I'm in total sympathy for your agonies.

StayFrosty Wed 09-Sep-09 20:40:47

Ah, thanks JRocks, I guess I will ask then, can't hurt, might help and all that.

herbietea Wed 09-Sep-09 20:44:16

Message withdrawn

mummy2t Wed 09-Sep-09 20:45:13

ok i am defo asking for sweep 2moro i am 37 + 4 by midwife or 38 + 4 by mu dates. i never thought they would even consider it b4 40 weeks

StayFrosty Wed 09-Sep-09 20:46:32

Thanks herbie, did it work for you?

PacificDogwood Wed 09-Sep-09 20:48:19

username, I had 2 sweeps when expecting DS3 (was going for VBAC) at 41 and 41+5 weeks.
It can only be done if your cervix if soft, forward facing and open enough to allow at least one finger in wink. It tends to only work if your body is "ready" for labour.
I found first one not v uncomfortable at all, but equally nothing much happened. Second one was done by a very experienced doctor who with my encouragement (I was very keen to go into labour myself and to avoid CS) did a rather, ahem, "vigorous" sweep. Was uncomfortable, I was kind of scooting off the headend of the bed IYKWIM, but it did the trick: DS3 born 48 hrs later smile. It took about 36 hrs for labour to start afterwards and I had quick and good labour/delivery.
I would/will have it done again (currently 14 weeks..)
Good luck smile

Henrietta Wed 09-Sep-09 20:55:02

I had a sweep a week before due date last time and didn't find it uncomfortable at all, then it was my 3rd I'd been having contractions for a week and was 3cm dilated and effaced...had him 24 hrs later.

herbietea Wed 09-Sep-09 21:05:21

Message withdrawn

blinder Thu 10-Sep-09 10:04:32

I had a sweep yesterday (40+5 like you username) but nothing to show for it yet.

But it does depend how stretchy and soft your cervix already is. When the MW is doing it, ask her to describe how advanced your dilation already is. If, like me, you are only 1cm dilated to start with it will be a bit more uncomfortable (like a smear IME) and less effective. If you are lucky enough to be more advanced than this it could be effective within the day or even hours!

Hope it goes well!

usernametaken Thu 10-Sep-09 10:50:34

So, in general- a sweep will only work if your cervix is ready, so the further on your are, the better. Labour can start within a few hours of having a sweep...or it just wont work! Fingers crossed this works!

Roll on Sunday!

loulou77 Thu 10-Sep-09 15:37:09

Just to add my two penno'th worth...I had one this am (39+5)...I was "favourable" apparently (cervix forward and softening, 1-2cm dilated but this is DC3 so that's not significant) and I think it has started things off...albeit very early stages. It was more than uncomfortable but ovr with pretty quickly and it is def not as bad as I expected! Good luck for the weekend.

StayFrosty Thu 10-Sep-09 15:45:26

Well I asked..... she tried..... but my cervix is back behind the baby's head, so nothing doing. I'm not too concerned, like I said upthread, same thing happened with my dd and she was out 4 days later in any case. Good luck to you ladies with more favourable cervixes than mine, looking forward to reading some birth announcements soon.

VickyHart Thu 10-Sep-09 16:50:25

I hope your sweep went well USername. I had one on Tuesday, I thought it was absolutely fine and I had an evening of what I think were contractions- much more than Braxton Hicks. Consultant said to go for a walk which I did but sadly everything has faded and now I feel normal again.

I have another consultant appointment next Tuesday when I'll be 41+1 and I'm sure they'll try again. Just wondering if anyone has asked for another sweep? I'm considering trying to get an appointment tomorrow.

MrsFrin Thu 10-Sep-09 18:17:48

I had one Tuesday morning, was told I was 2cm and she'd given it her best shot, have had on off mild contractions since but sadly nothing's established. Asked for another one tomorrow morning but was told it's too soon to try and so am booked for one Monday morning. Am 41 weeks and pretty ready to try anything...

VickyHart Thu 10-Sep-09 18:58:36

Ah MrsFrin we sound like we're in a similar situation. I imagine they'll tell me the same thing then. Another weekend of walking etc! Good luck

PacificDogwood Thu 10-Sep-09 20:42:14

After my 2nd sweep I was told to go home and scrub some floors on my hands and knees grin: not bloody likely! Apparently the bum-in-the-air position in combination with physical exertion is likely to help things along..
I think that what worked was pushing DS2 who was just learning to cycle without stabilisers wink!
Good luck to all you fed up overdue ladies smile

Caro1302 Thu 10-Sep-09 21:26:59

I had 5 sweeps in the space of a week and each one gave me a couple of hours of braxton hicks then nothing. Each time I was slightly more advanced though and by the time they broke my waters I was 5-6cm dilated and only had a 4h 20m labour so the sweeps did something after all.

nicm Thu 10-Sep-09 21:41:24

i had one with ds. was done on the wed at the clinic by the doctor and wasn't that uncomfortable. i had another booked for the sunday with the midwife-but i never got it as i went into labour on the saturday evening! after the sweep had a few bh's but nothing again until the saturday. good luck
x

franfoxy2003 Sun 20-Sep-09 17:50:22

i had a sweep, was booked in for an induction 2 days before my due date...GD. Had a sweep on the thursday morning, didnt find it that uncomfortable just strange. Started having period pains that afternoon around 4 hours after sweep, next day (friday) was having contractions every 10 mins...saturday it all stopped, was woken at 5:45am sunday morning with contractions every 2-3mins. went to hospital at 8:30am after phoning my mum at 7:45am. DD was born 2:16pm.

I believe the sweep worked for me because DD was nice and comfy until i had it. apparently my cervix was favourable 1cm long 1-2cm dialated.

so i would say they work!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now