Talk

Advanced search

Bit of a gross question re. lochia

(12 Posts)
McSnail Tue 08-Sep-09 12:01:28

Hi - I was wondering, does lochia have a smell? I had an emergency c-section a couple of weeks ago and there's recently been a distinct odour of rotting cabbage lingering around my nethers. Is this normal? I had some stitches up there due to a 'nick' during the failed forceps delivery preceding the c-section and I'm wondering if something horrid might be going on. Bleeding is very light now and nothing hurts, but the weird smell is bothering me. Maybe it's the pads I'm using, I dunno...

slyandgobbo Tue 08-Sep-09 12:03:05

Any smell / concern you should mention to your midwife. May be nothing but why take a chance?

McSnail Tue 08-Sep-09 13:29:26

You're right. I assume it's not normal then?

KnickersandVests Tue 08-Sep-09 13:33:24

Does your fanjo normally smell like rotting cabbage? My guess is no. Ring the midwife before it gets any worse.

McSnail Tue 08-Sep-09 13:38:58

Er no - I just wondered if it was the old blood...

cheerfulvicky Tue 08-Sep-09 15:06:18

Blood doesn't really smell much, even old blood. On the other hand, infections usually smell rotten. So I'd definitely ring your midwife asap, just to be sure.

McSnail Tue 08-Sep-09 15:12:31

Will do. Thanks all.

morningpaper Tue 08-Sep-09 15:13:41

I do think lochia has a certain smell of death but yes, any worries then ask your midwife

Chaotica Tue 08-Sep-09 15:22:12

Don't necessarily trust your midwife - ask your GP too! (I had two infections missed by my midwife although she was lovely in other ways...)

McSnail Wed 09-Sep-09 09:26:52

Just an update (I bet you're all thrilled!) grin

I think it was the pads - I used a different type from the ones I'd been using since hospital, and guess what? No rotting cabbage!
So - note to self. Do NOT buy Asda 'Freestyle Ultrasilk' towels ever again...

Was convinced my fanjita was rotting.

KnickersandVests Wed 09-Sep-09 09:47:32

Thrilled for and your fanjita.

Anyone for cabbage?

McSnail Wed 09-Sep-09 10:18:24

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now