Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Another live labour thread

(25 Posts)
Whitetara Tue 08-Sep-09 01:09:54

Hello

Had a sweep today and she could get me to about 3cm. bishops score 7.

Had some on off twinges this afternoon. Then 9pm started having some more regular ones about every 10/15 minutes or so. Since 10pm they have been about every 3, 4, 5 minutes and varying between those numbers. Lasting for about half a minute.

Second baby, on the tens, taken cocodamol (on triage advice) but not sure at what point to go in. Triage said wait til 3mins apart and lasting for 1 minute. Now just past one, so been going for about 4 hours now...any ideas when I should go. They said if I'm not managing at home with pain.. feel like managing but then can't compare my pain threshold with someone else iykwim....

skybright Tue 08-Sep-09 01:14:37

Hello Whitetara...how long was your last labour?....love these threads smile

I must be unusual i always head to hospital once they become regular.

Whitetara Tue 08-Sep-09 01:16:55

Also, if I'm using tens and keep leaving it on boost without realsing it do I have to turn it up even more.....

Whitetara Tue 08-Sep-09 01:19:15

last labour was about 17hr 50....I kind of want to go in but really can't face being sent back home - we're an hour round trip away...

Whitetara Tue 08-Sep-09 01:22:10

Are mine regular??? Last time I started off with a home birth, so there was no issue of when to go to hosptial so I have really no idea....

skybright Tue 08-Sep-09 01:22:55

Don't know about the tens...at my hospital if you are 3cm or over they keep you in as you are classed as active labour.

Shocking really isn't it that we have to fear being sent away..if your instincts are that you want to go in,phone them and tell them that your contractions are regular and painful.

skybright Tue 08-Sep-09 01:25:58

Yeah they sound pretty regular,i would class irregular as one every twenty mins or so...in all honesty it is the dilating that matters anyway. I had gradual build up of contractions with first,full on on top of each other with my second and very sporadic without much regularity with my third but i was dilating.

Whitetara Tue 08-Sep-09 01:30:01

Just called the hospital again. Was told that they need to be within the 3 min mark and not wandering into 4, 5 etc and last for at least one minute....seems quite strict....

skybright Tue 08-Sep-09 01:33:52

Bloody hell,with my third they were never like that the whole way through. Anyway are you feeling alright?

I notice you are in Scotland..in case you are going to Simpsons...tell them you want a water birth(even if you don't) best room in the whole hospitel.smile.

WantedToBeABoy Tue 08-Sep-09 01:37:43

Hurrah, there is someone else up and enjoying fun with regular bouts of pain....

I am not even in proper labour, but I've been unlucky with timings - I was kept awake all last night with contractions every 10 mins (just painful enough to prevent any attempt at sleeping), then they stopped completely between 10am and 6pm, then started again and have been every 10 mins like clockwork since then - no sign whatsoever that they mean business, except for giving me a second consecutive sleepless night.

Feeling a bit cheesed off now.

Whitetara Tue 08-Sep-09 01:40:11

Hi Wanted... how frustrating for you. Hope they kick in soon.

Mine definitely feel productive, not completely unpleasant, nor pleasant either kind of weird...

Skybright - I'm going to Ninewells in Dundee actually, but ended up having my daughter at Simpsons almost 2 years ago. You in scotland too?

WantedToBeABoy Tue 08-Sep-09 01:52:15

Thanks - I'd settle for just getting a bit of kip - baby can hang on for a week if it wants to, so long as it leaves me in peace tonight! Going to try to sneak into bed in case I can at least doze between cramps, but I don't want to disturb DP cos he has to go to work tomorrow.

I called the hosp just to see if the midwives could offer any suggestions of whether the contractions are likely to either do something or go away. I knew perfectly well they wouldn't be able to tell me, but it helps a bit to just tell someone what's going on at 2 in the morning!

Of all the things I'd been worried about about going into labour, persistent but completely useless sleep deprivation wasn't one of them.

Whitetara Tue 08-Sep-09 01:58:25

Wanted, totally hear you. I've been waking up almost every day at 4:30 ish...I think my hormones are letting me know I'm going to be doing that for a while, so I'd better get used to it.

try and get a little bit of rest if you can - youll be needing your strength very soon. My dh is in bed (fully clothed) trying to get a bit of shut eye before we inevitably head off. I'm not even going to attempt it right now.

skybright Tue 08-Sep-09 02:04:01

Hope you get some kip wantedtobeaboy.Good luck.

Whitetara,yes i had all of mine in Simpsons,first two in the old Simpsons and the last one 19 months ago in the new one.

All the midwifes kept telling me to do with my third was walk,i was bloody knackered but it did bring them on a bit.

Whitetara Tue 08-Sep-09 02:12:07

Trying to keep upright on ball or walking. last time I coudn't bear to be upright at all, it was so weird.

are you a nurse, skybright?

skybright Tue 08-Sep-09 02:16:35

Yes, but mental health so completely useless when it comes to general or midwifery stuff smile.

What are your timings like now?

Whitetara Tue 08-Sep-09 02:24:20

Same as before really....seems to create one if I move about or change position, is that usual? Feeling a bit sick probabyl cos I"ve not eaten since lunch and really can't rface making mysefls something or getting a snack from downstairs...

skybright Tue 08-Sep-09 02:31:01

I think a lot of women are sick in labour,yeah moving about presses the babies head on your cervix i think so makes the contractions come on a bit.

You sound pretty calm but if you really feel that you want to go to the hospital i would just go,i can't imagine they would send you home now.

I bet your OH is lying waiting for you to shout ,right lets go lol.

skybright Tue 08-Sep-09 02:38:39

I need to go to bed Whitetara,loads and loads of luck..i am quite jealous that no doubt by tomorrow you will be holding your gorgeous newborn.x

Whitetara Tue 08-Sep-09 02:40:42

Aw thanks skybright. Have a good night and thanks for holding my hand for this last wee while. Fingers crossed it won't be too long now.

Good night!

skybright Tue 08-Sep-09 12:47:38

Wondering how you got on? Hope you are well.

Whitetara Thu 10-Sep-09 10:04:13

Hi Skybright

Went in to hospital and arrived 5am and was 5cms so got admitted. Baby was born at 4:05 that afternoon, so another long labour for me - 19 or so hours....all is well though. Thank you so much for your replies to my thread while I was going through it.

cathcat Thu 10-Sep-09 18:59:26

Congratulations Whitetara, welcome to your new baby.

How did you find Ninewells out of interest?

Whitetara Thu 10-Sep-09 21:10:20

hi cathcat

they were wonderful. have nothing but praise for them. are you having a baby there?

cathcat Fri 11-Sep-09 00:03:53

hehe no, but I did a while ago. I think you had a thread asking about what is was like, a few weeks ago?
Congratulations again, I am terribly broody about newborns just now....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now