Unless my baby makes an appearance soon I'm booked in for an induction on Sunday afternoon with some gel initially (I think).
There was mention that waters would be broken a few hours afterwards, but could someone clarify whether I am obliged to have my waters broken should I go down the route of having the gel or pessary or whether I could have the gel/whatever and then see what happens naturally thereafter.
You are not obliged to have any sort of induction if you don't want it - you are quite within your rights to ask for monitoring of the baby to make sure all is well and wait for things to happen in their own time. You could say you will try gel and if nothing happens you prefer to wait and see what happens over another few days if that is what you prefer? Perhaps you can discuss this more with your midwife before you make a decision about what to do.
Is this your first baby? My obstetrician with my second baby seemed to think this was a very effective way of speeding a subsequent labour (implication was less so with no 1). But - as he said to me - "your body your baby" - so no you are not obliged to have anything! I didn't need it in the end and by the way, with my no 1 the gel was enough for me - hopefully you too.
i had the prostin gel and luckily it worked first time. when i got the delivery suite (i was at the pushing stage and beyond) the midwives did want to break my waters but i refused due to stuff i'd read whilst preparing my birth plan. luckily they didn't make an issue of my refusal and my daughter was born without any problems. the waters broke naturally shortly before she emerged.
the thing to remember as others have said is that you don't have to do what they suggest. good luck