Talk

Advanced search

Waters broken - but no contractions. What now?

(13 Posts)
AliBean Sun 06-Sep-09 00:56:24

My waters went at 11.45, waking me up. Have rung midwife and she reccomended to try and go back to sleep but too excited at the moment!
Haven't had a contraction yet so am wondering if anyone else has experienced labour like this and can give any advice?

Thanks

TheWolf Sun 06-Sep-09 01:06:47

I had a couple of hours between waters going and contractions starting.

Your mw is right - get some rest!

Good luck

nooka Sun 06-Sep-09 05:35:34

My waters broke early both times and contractions never really started at all! We waited three days the second time (I had to use ds's cloth nappies!). So something might happen very soon, or not for a long time, or not at all.. Good luck anyway, I hope that you have a good birth.

AliBean Sun 06-Sep-09 05:43:42

Am now having erratic contractions since about 2.30.
Some are really strong and hurt ALOT, others are sharp and short, more like trapped wind than the others. I have had 4 of the "proper" type and lots of the others. Is this normal?

AliBean Sun 06-Sep-09 05:53:21

Anyone there at this ungodly hour?

barbiebigpants Sun 06-Sep-09 05:55:26

pregnant with first so dont know much but just wanted to say good luck and congratulations smile

AliBean Sun 06-Sep-09 05:59:37

Thanks barbie, Congrats to you too! Why are you up so late (early)??

mammyto1 Sun 06-Sep-09 07:18:24

Ali I was induced so can't comment. Just want to say good luck and hope all goes well for you.

barbiebigpants Sun 06-Sep-09 07:24:30

ali i have been up hours! mind you dubai is three hours ahead of uk wink

Besom Sun 06-Sep-09 07:25:01

Alibean - I was similar to you in that my waters broke at midnight and then contractions started a couple of hours later. They weren't regular or strong enough for us to go to hospital until about midday. I think there is a lot of variation so what is happening with you is, I'm sure, entirely normal. Just hang in there and time them when they start getting regular and don't worry about phoning the midwives if you're unsure about anything.

Good luck and best wishes!

moonbird Mon 07-Sep-09 11:12:02

After my waters broke, my contractions started about 18 hours later. I think you just never really know.
Good luck!!

mummysleepy Mon 07-Sep-09 12:07:57

I am in same boat as you Alibean!
waters went at 7am today, getting odd contractions here and there not esp sore though. also my bowels have had a good clear out! waiting now to see what happens. I am thinking if nothing happening within 24 hours I will go for induction. have been offered induction tomorrow morning ie 24 hours or friday which is 96 hours but I would have thought if things are going to get going they would do it within 24 hrs!
are you progressing now?
anyone waited beyond the 24hours and gone into labour themselves??

WowOoo Mon 07-Sep-09 12:11:08

MIne started about 5 hours after waters breaking. It was early too so i got myself to hospital in time.
Hope you're lovely baby has arrived safely by now/ soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now