Talk

Advanced search

Just had a sweep, how successful are they?

(9 Posts)
loganberry12 Tue 01-Sep-09 14:50:49

im 40+3 weeks pregnant had a sweep this morning about 11.45 the midwife said my cervix was soft and stretchy and she could feel the babys head. I bled a little and have had a bit of backache and period pains since but thats about it. Was wondering how successful sweep are? have you had one and how long after did labour begin?

GooseyLoosey Tue 01-Sep-09 14:55:07

Worked for me. Went into labour the next day. Had it at 40 wks and 1 day.

Tidey Tue 01-Sep-09 14:56:07

I had one when DD was overdue, but it didn't work for me. I had the sweep on the Monday, nothing happened for the next few days and was induced on the Friday. Going by what your MW said though, it sounds like your body is more ready for labour than mine was when I had sweep. Good luck and best wishes.

slushy06 Tue 01-Sep-09 15:04:18

I had a sweep on dd2 and backache and bloody mucas for two days then the mucas started coming with cc I had her 3 days after sweep but I am sure that was down to the sweep as it started happening straight after.

loganberry12 Tue 01-Sep-09 15:05:36

oh good hopefully be holding my baby soon then

pooka Tue 01-Sep-09 15:07:48

SOunds pretty good to me.

I had one with ds, or rather didn't because my cervix was so unfavourable and tightly closed that was impossible. Had show later that day and him about 3 days later.

With dd, had a sweep while in early labour. Really got things going v. quickly. But she was my first, and I'm sure I read somewhere that they tend to be more successful first time round.

ButtercupWafflehead Tue 01-Sep-09 15:08:32

Good luck LB12!

Bettymum Tue 01-Sep-09 15:08:46

I had one on a Wednesday morning and contractions started Wednesday evening...then stopped Thursday morning. Then started again Thursday evening...think I had another sweep late Thursday night/Friday morning. May have had another one after that, it gets a bit hazy...DD was born Sunday morning grin.
She had gone back to back and had her head at a funny angle which is why it took so long, but the sweeps did seem to kick-start things a bit.

flowerpotwoman Tue 01-Sep-09 15:09:46

Worked within a few hours for me. I was 11 days overdue and desperate for a home birth, so was very relieved when the contractions kicked in.

Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now