Talk

Advanced search

Feel silly having to ask as a 2nd timer but.....

(19 Posts)
LittleCheese Mon 31-Aug-09 20:35:09

Im 39+2 today and for about 5/6 days have had 2 hours or so of regular braxton hicks between 10pm and midnight.

Obviously this has been getting my hopes up and i've been expecting to havbe my baby pretty soon.

Tonight I started having braxton hicks/contractions around 5pm they started regular every 10-12 mins then faded off for a while and are now back regular every 6-7 mins and are more intense. I can talk through them though.

I'll get to the point now I plan on using a tens machine for this labour and have read it should be used from the very beginning or wont be effective. My question is how do I know if this is labour or not and weather to use it?

EffiePerine Mon 31-Aug-09 20:36:55

You can always take it off again if things calm down, so I would bung it on. Good luck

rubyslippers Mon 31-Aug-09 20:37:04

you will know if it is labour if the contractions do not stop if you change position etc

you can use it now if you want or try a warm bath - if the contractions stop you know they are BH ...

nigglewiggle Mon 31-Aug-09 20:38:49

Don't feel silly, I was exactly the same with DD2. I actually had the tens machine on at one point and then everything stopped. My MW said that you feel BH much stronger second tim.

I found that if I moved around the tightenings would stop and that's how I knew it wasn't true contractions.

Eventually I had a show a few days later and that night waters went when I was asleep, so no doubts then.

Good luck smile

LittleCheese Mon 31-Aug-09 20:47:02

thanks for reply's ladies feel better now, i didnt realise i could use the tens if not in labour without it causing problems so that is reassuring.

the last couple of the nights its been going for a wee that has stoppe dthem so just been to the toilet so we will see if i have another or not and if i do i'll pop tens on

nigglewiggle Mon 31-Aug-09 21:46:55

Any change LittleCheese?

norktasticninja Mon 31-Aug-09 21:50:03

Lol don't feel silly! I posted asking if I should just take 2 paracetamol and go back to be 2 2/4 hours before DS (DC2) was born hmm

Good luck grin

LittleCheese Mon 31-Aug-09 21:55:21

been to the loo twice now and they are still coming every 6 minutes so different from the rest of this week. I have the tens on now and it feels nice and relaxing whilst not having contractions im quite confused by all the settings on it though lol

nigglewiggle Tue 01-Sep-09 12:27:46

Sounds promising. Any arrivals?

LittleCheese Tue 01-Sep-09 14:05:02

niggle unfortunately not

contractions continued to be 6 mins till about midnight then reduced to 4 mins and we were about to call hospital at 2am when they stopped and i've had nothing since.

I feel rather miserable

norktasticninja Tue 01-Sep-09 14:15:35

Awww, that's tough. Here's hoping things get moving soon. My midwife always said the more of this sort of thing you have in advance the shorter the labour will be in the end.

I had a similar episode a few days before DS was born and ended up with a super easy 2 1/2 hour labour!

One way or another you'll meet your little one very soon smile

nigglewiggle Tue 01-Sep-09 16:53:32

Yeah Norks, I had a lot of this and DD2 was only 4.5 hours, so it could be a good sign, frustrating though it is.

LittleCheese Wed 02-Sep-09 09:53:59

hi ladies thanks for the support. fingers crossed that the other night wasnt a complete waste of time then and i will seer the benefits when bubs finally decides to make an appearance.

im sat here bouncing on my gym ball as i type lol

nigglewiggle Wed 02-Sep-09 09:57:35

Keep us posted smile

LittleCheese Mon 07-Sep-09 02:06:57

hi not sure if any of you ladies are still watching this thread, but sat bouncing on my gym ball with tens on contractions every 3 mins for last hour going to call hospital soon quite reluctant after suddenly stopping last week

nigglewiggle Mon 07-Sep-09 16:04:30

I wasn't watching at 2am, but I am now grin. I'm thinking baby cheese might have arrived by now. Hope you are doing ok.

LittleCheese Mon 07-Sep-09 22:00:11

Niggle Baby Cheese Aka Eleanor Rose was born at 6.38 this morning weighing 8lb 9.5 Thanks for your support

nigglewiggle Mon 07-Sep-09 22:09:43

Oh wonderful news and a lovely name (nearly as good as Baby Cheese grin). Looks like you had that fast labour that we promised! Enjoy getting to know your new addition. smile

eightisseventoomany Thu 10-Sep-09 11:59:08

Well done littlecheese xxxx

Congratulations on baby cheese...xxxx

a fab little nickname should she want one haha

sounds like a great birth x grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now