Talk

Advanced search

36 weeks by midwifes dates but ............

(17 Posts)
mummy2t Mon 31-Aug-09 11:19:41

Posted this in pregnancy but think i should have posted here. i am 36 weeks today by midwife dates - based on 28 day cycle. my cycle is 22 days so i think that makes me 37 weeks tommorow. why dont they allow for people with diff cycles?? even on 20 wwek scan i was 20 6 days putting me closer to my dates. which would you go by, reason i ask is ds1 was born at 36 weeks and ds2 was born at 37 weeks. plus i am geeting to stage were every date counts - fed up of been pregnant now!

rubyslippers Mon 31-Aug-09 11:22:19

IIRC, they only adjust your dates (via scan) if you are massively out (ie more than a week or 2 as this takes into account shorter cycles)

i think at this stage you may or may not be heading towards an earlier labour and birth so the best and only thing you can do is prepare yourself for that

breakingnews Mon 31-Aug-09 14:10:18

IMHO I don't think that getting the due date is an exact science at all.... According to my scan and my midwife I was due yesterday... however I know exactly when I conceived and that would make me 39 weeks.... I can't remember when my last period actually was but have quite a long cycle...

either way baby will arrive when baby is ready... just be prepared and all will be well I am sure...

mummy2t Mon 31-Aug-09 20:26:15

thanks for messages. i know when i conceived too and it falls in with dates i have for my short cycle. think i am just trying to wish away the weeks i have left. other 2 were born at 36 and 37 weeks so that due date window is well and truly open for me now and it just has you on tender hooks. u never know i might even be late! god i hope not!

PacificDogwood Mon 31-Aug-09 20:31:28

Only 5% of babies are born on the calculated due dates, LOL! Awkward little blighters from the start, arent't they??
I have a 28 day cylce and my 2 "normal" pregnancies (I am not counting emCS due to placenta preavia at 31 weeks) went to 42 weeks. Sorry, not what you want to hear, I know.

I know it is an annoying clichee but your baby will come when he/she is ready wink. Stay active if you can and who knows?
Good luck smile

MerlinsBeard Mon 31-Aug-09 20:33:33

They calculate a 28 day cycle because that is the average. babies are "on time" if they are born between 37 and 42 weeks i think.

mummy2t Mon 31-Aug-09 20:33:52

i have a feeling this is going to be a lonnnnnggggg 4 weeks!!!!!!!

madwomanintheattic Mon 31-Aug-09 20:37:53

or 6 weeks.
lol.

seriously, you might pop tomorrow. try not to fixate too much on it, it will happen some time between now and, ooo, mid october?
grin

mummy2t Mon 31-Aug-09 20:39:52

your suppose to be making me feel better!! lol smile

PacificDogwood Mon 31-Aug-09 20:42:35

I loved my overdue weeks: on Mat leave, large as a whale, daytime TV, being waited on hand and foot, oh bliss!
It all went pearshaped after baby arrived wink.
Enjoy!! smile

mummy2t Mon 31-Aug-09 20:50:03

my remaining weeks are going to be spent looking after my 17month old and my 5 year old!!! hmm oh dear, going to be rough!! do feel slightly better as head is 2/5 engaged and i seem to be able to breathe easier or not get so out of puff as much. i will try and enjoy these last few weeks

PacificDogwood Mon 31-Aug-09 20:54:49

Well, this is why Cbeebies is your friend... wink
I do not think my 2 watched more TV than in those final weeks grin.
AND you need lots of chocolate/other treats for them and for you wink.

mummy2t Mon 31-Aug-09 21:25:15

now your talking!!!

RenderedSpeechless Mon 31-Aug-09 21:35:08

OMG, I think you are me! I am 37 weeks by scan dates and 36 my mw dates. I CANNOT WAIT!I have spend these last 10 days 'entertaining' my 23 month and 5 year olds, who were born at 37 and 38 weeks. I have placenta previa and appointment tomorrow morning will hopefully give me a cs date. Scared of going into labour early though.

Good luck to both of us!

mummy2t Mon 31-Aug-09 21:39:50

you have rendered me speechless!! we are one!! i cannot wait either, every little niggle i think this is it, ITS DOING MY HEAD IN!!! if you know u have to have a cs for definate get to hosiptal as soon as u start. I went very quick with my second.
good luck!!!!!!!! keep in touch

RenderedSpeechless Tue 01-Sep-09 10:41:41

Hi MT2, Just a quick post to say that im being admitted until CS on 14th. All the best to you. Hope all goes well and that our similarities have come to an end now. LOL. xx

mummy2t Tue 01-Sep-09 11:51:45

oh, good luck to you. hope all goes well for you, keep me updated as and when u can.
take care xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now