Talk

Advanced search

How long in hospital?

(33 Posts)
amarantha Sat 29-Aug-09 10:29:11

Hi ladies, I'm 22 weeks and even though I've ages to go I'm worried about how long I'll have to stay in hospital. I've read somewhere that with your 1st its 2 days minimum. I can't imagine staying on a ward that long and don't want anyone visiting me whilst I'm there, is this flexible?
Thanks

LadyStealthPolarBear Sat 29-Aug-09 10:33:14

I'm in the UK and no-one I know who's had a fairly straightforward birth has been in that long. I gave birth at 5.30pm and was home the next afternoon - and that was delayed because it was Saturday. My friend had her baby in the morning and was home that day. No-one has to visit you if you don't want them to!

ShowOfHands Sat 29-Aug-09 10:33:39

I had an emergency caesarian section with my first and was discharged 12 hours later.

If you and the baby are both well, normal delivery and have been adequately checked over you can be out within 6hrs. They don't keep healthy babies and healthy Mums in against their wills.

LadyStealthPolarBear Sat 29-Aug-09 10:35:49

I've been told the only 'minimum' is 6 hours as they have to do the postnatal checks once the baby is 6 hours old. OTOH they can't physically keep you there if you really want to stay, but 6 hours will go very fast! By the time you've laid back and cuddled, fed, showered, cuddled some more, taken some photos, eaten somthing, your DH/DP has called lots of people...

LadyOfTheFlowers Sat 29-Aug-09 10:49:41

Normal vaginal delivery - 6 hours. That's how it is where I am anyway - Wiltshire.
I have not managed it so far though. Silly little complications each time kept me in, twice with the baby once with me.
Am hoping this time to get out quickly.
A problem I had getting out 3rd time was finding someone to come let me go!

poeia Sat 29-Aug-09 11:01:13

Well I delivered DD1 at 7pm and was discharged by 11pm...it took that long to get paperwork etc done and me to have a shower, but once all done we were free to leave!

Horton Sat 29-Aug-09 11:06:15

I delivered DD at 10pm and we could have gone home the next morning if she hadn't had a slight heart murmur which they wanted to check out. We left at about 5pm the following day (would have been sooner but they were shortstaffed and couldn't find anyone to sign me off).

mummy2t Sat 29-Aug-09 11:16:47

hi, my sil was home same day with her first.and a friend of mine went home after 1 day when she had a cs. i had to stay in for 2 days with first as he was born at 36 weeks. with my second he was born at 37 weeks and i was on my way home 3 hours after delivery. i am 36 weeks pregnant now and keeping fingers crossed i am out quick again.

CrazyPregnant Sat 29-Aug-09 11:19:10

I stayed in for 4 hours after DC1 and about 40mins after DC2- I was supposed to have a home birth but had to go into hosp due to a shortage of midwives so as soon as DC 2 was born I got me and baby dressed and went home!

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sat 29-Aug-09 11:23:59

I was in for 8 days due to DD being low birth weight.

Friend has just had her first baby, gave birth on Friday evening at 9pm ish and was 'allowed' to come home on Sunday mid morning. However, she was kept in for longer than they would have normally as her waters had broken for more than 24 hours so they wanted to keep an eye on her make sure no infection took hold. She was quite pleased as it gave her a day to work on breastfeeding with some support.

So I would say 2 days minimum is not true, unless there is a specific reason for keeping you in. But policy also might vary from hospital to hospital, so check if you are concerned.

However, if there is no complications or reason to be there medically, they cannot make you stay in. You are not a prisoner, you are free to leave when you feel ready to do so.

GirlsAreLoud Sat 29-Aug-09 11:26:45

I gave birth at 9PM and was out at about 12 noon the following day (after forceps and many, many stiches).

mejon Sat 29-Aug-09 12:57:09

I had DD at 7pm is on the Thursday and was discharged at around 10am on the Saturday. Under normal circumstances I would have been allowed home on the Friday but as my waters had broken 36 hours before giving birth we had to stay in for an extra night to rule out any infection.

girlsyearapart Sat 29-Aug-09 13:06:36

Hi dd1 born 4pm discharged follwing avo.
dd2 surgical removal of placenta followed by blood transfusion 5 day stay.
BIL's girlfriend gave birth to her dc1 at 8pm and was discharged 10pm!!!
Apparently they let her go cos it was obvious she had lots of family support.

I don't think it does you any harm to stay in a night esp if its your first. Get some help with bf etc it's not as easy as it looks and they can teach you.

beautifulgirls Sat 29-Aug-09 14:18:58

It is so variable depending how you are feeling, how baby is doing. Many ladies go home quickly but not everyone feels ready to go home that soon either even when everything has been straightforwards. When I had DD#1 they assumed I wanted to stay a second night but I really didn't. It was simply poor communication as no-one actually asked me and just ignored me. Once I told them what I wanted to do directly they arranged for DD to be signed off by the docs and off we went. I would have been happy if the postnatal ward had actually been of any support to me in the time I was there, but they were not, and I knew DH would be of more help at home than if I stayed. I do know other women who have had a good postnatal experience though with help with establishing breastfeeding and feeling comfortable in staying for a couple of days.

LackingNicknameInspiration Sat 29-Aug-09 14:45:08

Have only had the one so far - she was born at 10.20am, very straightforward delivery, just a few stitches, and I was told I could go home that day if I wanted. Chose to stay in overnight just in case I had any questions and, more to the point, so that DH could go and get a full night's sleep as it struck me that one of us would need to (we'd skipped the night before).

I was on a very quiet ward and the girl opposite was having her 2nd night in - no complications, she was just having problems BF so they told her she could stay if she wanted to make the most of the available help.

From what I've seen, they're keen to get you out asap if they're busy, so they have the bed.

Congratulations, by the way, and good luck!

cheezcurl Sat 29-Aug-09 14:54:02

DD born at 9.00am on the dot, not sure what time I left but I know I was home by 1pm

poeia Sat 29-Aug-09 16:30:06

I definitely agree with beautifulgirls...it is very variable and personal. I was determined to get home to be looked after by dp and my mum, the hospital staff had seen me successfully feeding dd and so I was 'free' to go!!
I say don't necessarily have a fixed idea about how long you'd like to stay in for, as things can happen to affect it, but I certainly had an idea once my baby had arrived!

SheWillBeLoved Sat 29-Aug-09 18:54:54

I gave birth a 9.15am, and didn't go home until around 4pm the next day. No complications, apparently just routine to keep first time mums in overnight. All went very fast though. Enjoy the rest and one on one time with your new baby whilst you can! I wouldn't have gone home even if they offered grin I had 15 shock visitors (siblings/partners/kids) in total at visiting hour on the day I gave birth, so it set the tone for how it was going to be at home and I really was in no rush for that!

sweetnitanitro Sat 29-Aug-09 19:12:36

DD was born just before 11am and I was home in time for dinner in the evening (after having more stitches than the Bayeux tapestry).
DD was straight on the boob and had no problems feeding so they had no reason to keep us. I think it depends on the hospital though.

Have you put in your birth plan that you'd like to go home as soon as possible?

l39 Sat 29-Aug-09 20:52:30

So jealous! envy
My own fault for giving birth in the dark ages of 1992, I suppose, but I had to stay in 5 whole days with my eldest after a straightforward vaginal delivery! And they took her away from me at night 'so she didn't disturb the other mothers'! It's a wonder I managed to establish breastfeeding, but I did.

My mum was in for 10 days back in the 70s!

Will be leaving at the first possible moment with the next one!

pushmepullyou Sat 29-Aug-09 21:05:55

I was horrified about the prospect of having to stay in for more than a few hours. When it came to it I couldn't have cared less! I didn't have many visitors either and just enjoyed being on my own with my new baby. It was a really magical time and gave me some much needed breathing space to adjust to being a mum before the rest of the world started intruding!

Even though you're worried about it now you might well find you don't care when/if it happens smile

PacificDogwood Sat 29-Aug-09 21:13:18

I stayed in 48 with DS1 and DS3, both normal vaginal deliveries.
Stayed 1 week after emCS for DS2, mainly because he was poorly, I was trying to encourage lactation and I was always able to see him.

IME, discharge 6 hours after normal delivery is routinely possible, if you want to go home that early.
It may be helpful to stay a bit longer if you want/need help with breast feeding or feel particularly exhausted after delivery. I did quite like having my meals prepared for me blush (I am not a picky eater blushblush)...
If you'd rather not have visitors, just let the ward staff know and they will protect your privacy fiercly.

Good luck with your delivery, whatever happenssmile.

YanknCock Sat 29-Aug-09 23:35:16

emCS on Monday at 11:16, home by Wednesday afternoon! For the first twelve hours I was having morphine so time alternately seemed to be going very slow and very fast. I didn't have visitors bedsides my husband, and honestly, you'll probably be so fascinated by your baby that you don't even notice where you are.

Before the birth I'd been hoping I'd be one of those people out after six hours, but I'm actually glad I stayed longer and got the help with breastfeeding. Midwives were absolutely lovely and very helpful.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sat 29-Aug-09 23:44:25

yank <waves> congratulations on your bundle! Hope you are eating well now wink

Northernlurker Sat 29-Aug-09 23:46:13

I stayed for about 36 hours with my first, 4 with my 2nd and 12 with my third - would have been 3 but as I'd bled a bit they wanted to hang on to me to make sure I wasn't going to pass out on my doorstep. It will vary from place to place a bit - some units are under a lot more pressure than others. The important thing is that you go only when you feel well and ready to do so - don't be pushed out but also don't be afraid to say you want to go home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now