Talk

Advanced search

was told by midwife yesterday that cos of swine flu..........

(21 Posts)
devonsmummy Fri 28-Aug-09 20:48:22

only allowed one birthing partner and no visitors and definately no children! sad

She didn't offer the info it just followed on from me asking a question about DS being at the birth.

rubyslippers Fri 28-Aug-09 20:49:07

really?

when are you due ... not been told this and i am due October

PureAsTheColdDrivenSnow Fri 28-Aug-09 20:49:33

Which PCT are you - might be worth asking them, or someone at your chosen hospital?

devonsmummy Fri 28-Aug-09 20:54:20

am due on 10th September.

was introduced as of 19th August so I'm told.

I expect it waries from hospital to hospital

(what does PCT mean?)

devonsmummy Fri 28-Aug-09 20:54:43

whoops - varies

DaisymooSteiner Fri 28-Aug-09 20:58:35

The trust I work at has said no children, and I expect it will also stop 'regular' visitors too, which is what happened when there was an outbreak of norovirus.

I know it's not very nice, but think how awful it would be if there was an outbreak of swine flu amongst newborn babies sad

devonsmummy Fri 28-Aug-09 21:04:15

daisymoosteiner - do you inform all your expectant mothers of this or just expect them to find out as they arrive in labour?

My mum lives abroad & is coming over for the birth and I'd set my heart on her, DH and DS being there for the birth.

tryingtobemarypoppins Fri 28-Aug-09 21:05:24

sounds good to me!

I hate those American programmes where half the town gather outside the labour room door!

PureAsTheColdDrivenSnow Fri 28-Aug-09 21:05:30

PCT - Primary Care Trust. They tend to be the people that dictate these kind of rules across their designated area, although not always.

FuckOffDailyMail Fri 28-Aug-09 21:08:41

Most hospitals don't allow children in the delivery suites, regardless of swine flu.

Have you thought about a homebirth?

devonsmummy Fri 28-Aug-09 21:10:53

think i may have left it a bit too late? only 13 days til due date.

Pandoraneedsbugs Fri 28-Aug-09 21:11:05

Tbh I wish the other mothers on my ward had only had 1 or 2 visitors (as I did) when mine were born - mostly they had a constant torrent of 6+ visitors

Im for the idea that visitors can wait till you get home - going against the crowd here I suspect!

I cannot imagine wanting a child present whilst I gave birth!
Would home birth be an option - my hospital were very relaxed about visitors but they wouldnt have allowed children present at the birth - swine flu or no

devonsmummy Fri 28-Aug-09 21:12:00

tthe midwife said that DS would have been allowed in delivery suite as long as DH was there too.

devonsmummy Fri 28-Aug-09 21:14:18

pandora - last labour was just 2hrs so have been preparing DS (3 in Nov) for the prospect of seeing me give birth in case I don't make it to hospital.

He's now taken with the idea that he wants to be there!

whomovedmychocolate Fri 28-Aug-09 21:15:24

Devonsmummy - You are not too late for a homebirth if that's what you want. If the not having your DS there is a dealbreaker for you say so. You have every right to be attended at home if you wish. Less chance of catching swine flu at home with only one midwife (or two) with you, than in a hospital I'd think!

devonsmummy Fri 28-Aug-09 21:19:21

whomoved.... now you've started me thinking, just said to DH and he said don't want that mess at home!
Hmmm gonna sleep on it I think

whomovedmychocolate Fri 28-Aug-09 21:24:14

Oh FGS - plastic sheet, a towel - how much mess is he expecting? Chances are your waters will go before you go into the hospital anyway so it's only blood, gore and shit he will have to deal with grin

StretchFucksTheMailDaily Fri 28-Aug-09 21:26:58

Noooo, the one common myth of home birth is the mess. It so isn't so!!

I have had 2 hbs, and each time, I went upstairs for my bath (my OWN bath!!) and came down and everything was back to normal.
Get a couple of dust sheets from wilkos, ask friends etc.. for old sheets, pillow cases etc.. and these will go on the floor under whatever the MW will give you to put down. I have got some of thoses pampers care mats as well.

The MWs take away most of the really bad stuff anyway!!

Sorry to have barged into the conversation anyway!! grin Good luck whatever you decide! I am due on 16th Sept!!

StretchFucksTheMailDaily Fri 28-Aug-09 21:29:05

If you are considering it, then you can make arrangements for a hb, straight away, and if you decided, even in labour that you want to go to hospital, then you just go!! grin

FuckOffDailyMail Fri 28-Aug-09 22:32:23

It's definitely not too late to arrange a homebirth. And as others say, don't worry about the mess as there really will be none remaining after the MWs clean up.

And just think of being able to snuggle up with your gorgeous baby in your own lovely bed straight afterwards

pasturesnew Fri 28-Aug-09 22:41:52

Our hospital has similar temporary restrictions, max. 2 visitors so that'll be DH as birthing partner and DB when he picks us up to drive us home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now