Talk

Advanced search

Please help, am I in labour?

(31 Posts)
memoo Wed 26-Aug-09 22:37:19

Might sound like a daft question but have never gone into labour on my own before.

I am 35+5 but due to GD and a lot of fluid doc has said I have a high chance of early labour.

My bump has felt very tight and uncomfortable since about 3pm. Since about 7 I have been getting strong tightenings even 5 minutes or so. A little painful, on a scale of 1-10 about a 3.

Some of them are really making me quite breatless. Also have an ache in my back and this funny pressure feeling in my bottom.

Maybe I'm just going a bit loopy!?

luckylady74 Wed 26-Aug-09 22:39:19

I would say yes

FluffySaysTheDailyMailsShite Wed 26-Aug-09 22:40:30

That's labour.

Are the bottom pains frequent? Sometimes they are not strong enough to get things going or are infrequent so just cause pain.

Jenski Wed 26-Aug-09 22:40:49

Have you had braxton hicks? If so, does this feel different.

With my third I had lots of false starts, but when it actually kicked in I knew the difference IYKWIM.

MinkyBorage Wed 26-Aug-09 22:41:18

sounds a bit like it, but tbh this is how I felt for a week before ds was born

memoo Wed 26-Aug-09 22:41:20

shit! i am terrifed now

memoo Wed 26-Aug-09 22:42:16

the bottom pains are infrequent. I have had braxton hicks, but they have been painful or gone on for so long

liahgen Wed 26-Aug-09 22:42:19

jump into a warm bath, if it's labour it won't go away. If it's BH then the bath will likely stop it.

Do you have polyhydramnios? If so, are you aware what to do if your waters go?

memoo Wed 26-Aug-09 22:42:34

sorry, BH haven't been painful

skybright Wed 26-Aug-09 22:43:11

It sounds like it. I guess you can only wait till the pain gets more intense and quicker to know for sure. Good luck.x

memoo Wed 26-Aug-09 22:43:25

I do have polyhrdamnois liahgen, have just been told to phone if waters go

FluffySaysTheDailyMailsShite Wed 26-Aug-09 22:43:34

Don't be terrified, go with the flow. A bath will help. The fanjo pain is caused by the baby pressing on the cervix. smile

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 26-Aug-09 22:43:37

Message withdrawn

lilacpink Wed 26-Aug-09 22:43:40

If you can't speak through the contractions, they're prob genuine, time them! Hope you're not alone - if so call someone for support - I would suggest an ambulance if they're 5min apart or less.

memoo Wed 26-Aug-09 22:44:55

I can talk through most of them but the odd one makes me really breathless.

think i'll go and try the bath

liahgen Wed 26-Aug-09 22:45:21

If your waters go with a gush mee then get down on all 4's and call an ambulance. How far is baby in the pelvis?

Exciting. Is dh with you?

Intensity and length as important if not more so than how frequent, especially for a multip.

Which baby?

Jenski Wed 26-Aug-09 22:45:26

Don't be terrified.
Are you ready if it is the real deal?

I am excited for you if that helps grin

MumHadEnough Wed 26-Aug-09 22:46:09

Oooooooooo good luck! grin Can't give any advice I'm afraid as I didn't go on my own either and ended up with a c-section for failed induction.

But I do love a good live labour thread!

memoo Wed 26-Aug-09 22:49:53

Baby was breech at last scan.

She has been very quite tonight, have felt the odd little movement but nothing like usual.

This is my 3rd baby but had inductions with first 2 with a drip so never really had a slow, natural buildup.

DH is with me. I am all ready for this baby so don't know why I am so scared.

going to have a bath, will be back in a while.

Thanks everyone xx

FluffySaysTheDailyMailsShite Wed 26-Aug-09 22:51:17

smile

I really do hope it goes ok for you.

juneybean Wed 26-Aug-09 22:52:05

Oooo good luck memoo!! grin

HeadFairy Wed 26-Aug-09 22:52:21

How exciting... good luck. I'm up all night on a night shift, so I'll keep checking in!

lilacpink Wed 26-Aug-09 22:52:23

Good luck, really hope this is labour for you and over quickly and naturally

Jenski Wed 26-Aug-09 22:52:52

Best of luck smile

hairymelons Wed 26-Aug-09 22:55:18

Sounds like the start of labour, how exciting. Don't be scared, all will be fine!

Run a nice deep bath, they help relax you. I had about 50 baths when I was in labour! A bit of lavendar oil and a back rub at the same time can be nice if DP is any good at that kind of thing.

Also, start breathing in really slowly to a count of 20 as each contraction begins, then out again slowly. It helps to have something to focus on.

Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now