Talk

Advanced search

CSection Recovery Tips

(30 Posts)
macleody Wed 26-Aug-09 19:45:04

A couple of weeks a go I found a really good thread with tips from other mums about recovering from a csection and things to think about. I'm sure it was on mumsnet, I should've bookmarked it but I didn't and now I can't find it - any suggestions or advice, I'm having a planned section beg October?

Chynah Wed 26-Aug-09 20:56:45

take it easy afterwards even if you feel fine don't try and lift things too soon. And big knickers!!

fishflange Wed 26-Aug-09 21:07:46

Make sure you keep a close eye on your wound. Get a practice nurse to take a look if it is at all oozy when you get home

Lie down and let the air get to it as much as possible

My midwife told my husband that I he HAD to go out and buy Baddebas bath stuff for me as it was the best thing for healing. I think it was a major fib, she just thought I should have some nice bath stuff that wouldn't irritate it!

ShowOfHands Wed 26-Aug-09 21:10:19

Take some arnica.

Get up and move about as soon as possible.

Don't worry, it might not be as bad as you think.

Big knickers.

fishflange Wed 26-Aug-09 21:10:36

oh and make lots of freezer meals that can be microwaved. Write instructions on so OH can do it.
Make sure everyone is aware that you can't even lift the kettle!
And absolutely no washing, ironing, hoovering etc etc. The most you should be doing is caring for you and the baby. Period.

jeanjeannie Wed 26-Aug-09 21:19:51

My top tips for straight afterwards are:

*Arnica tablets (for bruising)
*BIG knickers - up to the neck preferably!
*Take in a squash so you can drink lots (I mean loads) of water for the first 12 hours. Helps with the catheter and makes the first stumble to the loo easier! Squash makes the water nicer!

Once home
*take it easy - bring stuff downstairs so you don't have to keep going up to bedrooms to get things
*don't put strong smellies in the bath/shower.
*keep a check on the scar - I got an infection first time and it wasn't pretty.
* if you feel in pain take paracetemol - don't be a marytr as it won't make it feel better!

Just don't be in a rush, I do know of woman who have pushed it too far in the first 3 weeks and it's not worth it. You probably will feel a lot better than you think you will and it's easy to get carried away smile HTH

PinkyRed Wed 26-Aug-09 21:23:03

Big knickers

Peppermint tea for trapped wind.

Did I mention big knickers?

Amapoleon Wed 26-Aug-09 21:28:03

Don't over do it, take help where offered, make sure you are properly dry after a shower.

On the other hand, you needn't be bed ridden either.

I ended up with split stitches and an infection. I still have a small hole nearly 3 years on.

Good luck! smile

donteatthat Wed 26-Aug-09 21:31:10

definitely big knickers, i got a pack of them from primark - you're never going to wear them again so not worth spending a load of money on.

the one thing i can't emphasise too strongly is not to overdo it. I was told that too but after a few weeks I felt fine and carried the pram downstairs and took baby for a walk. I was in agony afterwards so seriously just don't go for any long walks or lift anything heavy. Baby should be the heaviest thing you lift.

as yours is planned you can plan ahead and get help in. i had my MIL pop over most days and make me lunch and my mum came and stayed for a few days and made meals.

Freezer meals are an excellent idea, get as much done now as possible to make things easier later (meals, baby clothes and room unpacked and washed ready)

Also a good idea for OH to bring a cushion when you go home from hospital to put under seatbelt over wound. Loose trousers for wearing afterwards as it will be a bit sore if you wear things that rub on the wound/scar

Very important - make sure anyone examining your wound washes their hands with antibacterial wash first as this should avoid any infections.

Wishing you the best of luck!

HeadFairy Wed 26-Aug-09 21:36:22

Start taking arnica a few days before your cs to help with bruising.

If you can manage it, have two baths a day. My mw recommended this to me and I'm sure that's why I breezed through my post cs recovery. If you can get some lavender oil and tea tree oil drops to put in the bath all the better.

Do take it easy, even if you feel fine. Your stomach muscles will feel like you've done the work out of your life! Don't stride off down the road as though nothing's happened three days after your cs as I did. Only to stagger to a halt after 2 minutes, clutching your abdomen feeling like you've done a 1000 stomach crunches!

MrsHappy Wed 26-Aug-09 22:00:14

Once your scar has started to heal, massage it to break down the scar tissue and make it look nicer.

Big knickers!

I took vitamin C and ate a lot of antioxidants to help with healing.

Get up - slowly - as soon as you start to feel up to it after the op. But don't overdo it. Lots of breaks and don't walk to the shops for more nappies on day 3!

And I agree - do not worry. It will be ok.

hophophippidtyhop Sat 29-Aug-09 09:52:02

I found a v shape pillow excellent support when going to sleep for the first week. It meant I wasn't totally flat which made it easier to get up from bed. Had my head on the pointy bit and the long bits down the sides.

heron22 Sat 29-Aug-09 20:09:05

once ur wound is closed and healed, dont forget to apply bio oil everyday.

i apply it everyday on mine and it is healing so much better than my first section.

Rosesinautumn Sun 30-Aug-09 14:33:19

Big pants and loose clothes can't be stressed enough.

Straightening up from sitting is difficult in the first few days so make sure you have a chair by a wall or something else that can give you support after you get up.

Make sure anything you would need that is high up has been taken down to a reachable level, even if that means cluttering up work surfaces for a little while.

Avoid loads of carbs and meat a couple of days before op, try and pack in as many fruit and veg as you can stomach as the first bowel movement can be 'interesting' as your stomach muscles won't work so the less pushing you have to do the better. And still on the toilet theme, at home, get a little footstool/plinth and then bend forward when you need a no.2 to ease the stress on your scar.

Last one - the bath with tea tree and lavender is great but if your wound is a little damp or sticky you could also add a bit of salt to dry it out. Good luck.

lizzytee Sun 30-Aug-09 20:16:21

Take. It. Easy.

ie stay in bed as much as humanly possible. You have had major abdominal surgery and need to give yourself time and rest to heal.

Big knickers, elasticated waistbands.
No lifting and try not to be tempted to do anything much.
Take your pain meds.
Oh, and lactulose - don't be a martyr to constipation.

HelenHighwater Sun 30-Aug-09 20:22:04

Big knickers

A pillow for travelling in the car around your waist

Pain meds. If you feel you need them, take them. No point in suffering.

I think someone told me not to haunch over to try and stretch the muscles. I found that easier said than done though.

WidowWadman Sun 30-Aug-09 20:26:30

I found taking pain killers in regular intervals instead of waiting for the pain to start very helpful, also taping a maternity pat over the scar helped stopping the rim of (very big) knickers digging in.

Other than that I was very active with short walks from the beginning and I think that helped my recovery. In the first 3-4 days not further than the corner shop, but then a mile into town, coffee break and a mile back.

My midwife found me a bit unusual, though

scottishmummy Sun 30-Aug-09 20:33:53

>no excessive bed rest,in fact regular >mobilising is good and encourages circulation and recovery
>big over the scar granny pants
>gradually build up stamina going for brief walks
>no heavy lifting or carrying
>soft pyjamas or joggers
>pillow to rest baby on for feeding,reduce pressure

MIAonline Sun 30-Aug-09 20:35:44

Like WidowWadman I took my pain medication regularly and walked around quite a bit and was back on my feet and moving quite quickly after it. My midwife was also surprised to see me moving around so well, it is probably luck more anything, but I think getting gentle exercise helped.

scottishmummy Sun 30-Aug-09 20:38:28

yes,keep mobilising increasing it gradually and light non impact exercise.swimming is VG

poorbuthappy Sun 30-Aug-09 20:39:45

Dont worry so much...I had an em section with the twins and was worried sick about how to cope with recovery...and I know I was probably lucky...but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be...

Oh, learn to sneeze with your mouth closed...

Salleroo Sun 30-Aug-09 21:00:12

Arnica - 200mg not 30. Take one as close to op as you can, one after, then every 6 hours for 3 days then 3 times a day for 3 weeks, not at same time you plan brushing teeth.

Nettle and peppermint tea - take it to hosp and have it hot/cold whatever way you like, just drink lots of it. Its cleansing and will help with the wind.

Enjoy the farting, there is noting you can do about it so just let rip grin

Walk tall, dont stoop.

Take all the pain meds they give you till they are gone.

Get yourself some good iron supps, if you need it the stuff you'll get in hosp with constipate you.

Take piriton, you may get seriously itchy from the morphine and thats what they are going to give you anyway and waiting for a midwife for 2 hours will drive you crazy.

Dont strip the bed and clean the kitchen cupboards when you get home. In fact do as little as possible, accept all help. I had a deal with DH that I would reach into the overhead cupboards but he would do below counter, load/unload dishwasher/washing machine, no hoovering, no brushing the floor. If you love cleaning like I do it will be a tough couple of weeks. If you dont then luxuriate in the dirt grin

Dont sit on the bed and turn sideways to change the baby.

In the night when the baby snuffles, cries try to remember to get up slowly before you use your abs to leap out of bed.

Big knickers but make a promise to yourself that you will bin them after 6 weeks so just buy ugly ones so its an easy plan to stick to.

Dry the scar well after a shower, a good pat with the towel will do.

Elective CSs are fab!

WidowWadman Sun 30-Aug-09 21:13:57

I thought that lots of peppermint tea hinders lactation? I wouldn't risk it.

pop1973 Sun 30-Aug-09 21:23:40

Get up as soon as the midwifes let you in hospital. You won't feel like it but once you get up and get showered you will feel better, light headed but better.

Drink plenty off water.
Eat the food that they give you in hospital.

Don't lift the baby out of the awful cradles they have in hospital as it is a strain in the middle of the night and can cause pain. Buzz all the time for the staff to come in and get the baby out and back in. Even if you feel you can do this yourself don't as it causes pain.

Take a cushion home for you in the car, as this caused me terrible back pain on home journey.

Good luck

JimJammum Sun 30-Aug-09 21:59:37

Has anyone mentioned big knickers....and loose trousers. And a v shaped cushion or two to prop you up in bed....I slept half propped up for a few weeks as it was easier that sitting up for every feed and then laying down again.

Don't lift ANYTHING (except baby), but do keep active with gentle strolls etc. Someone else will have to hoover.

Don't even think about getting back into low cut jeans with a zip fly for years!!!! It stays numb for a suprisingly long time. And, if you're slim, you'll have a bump where your scar is that never gets flat again.

Having said all that, it's not that bad!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now