Talk

Advanced search

Can I just stand up and applaud the women on here who went through long labours please!!

(39 Posts)
Disenchanted3 Wed 26-Aug-09 13:31:55

I've read a thread in which someone is implying a 24 hour labour is not a bad one,

Well I've given birth 3 times and non of my labours went past 6 hours,

6 hours is a VERY short labour, especially for your first and i thought I was going to DIE.

I managed to do it each time without intervention / pain relief, but thats because I was so luckiy in thee length of them all.

But I am telling you now .. if I had hit 8, 10, 12 hours (still relativly short) I would have been hysterical and throttling the midwives!

So well done to anyone who suffered that long!

Disenchanted3 Wed 26-Aug-09 13:32:52

Sorry for typos keyboard got spilled on and keys are not working/sticking.

flowerybeanbag Wed 26-Aug-09 13:33:29

<<bows>>

24 hours sounds fab to me!

TheCrackFox Wed 26-Aug-09 13:41:15

Why thank you.

My contractions started at dinner time on the Wednesday and DS2 arrived dinner time on Saturday. And he needed forceps. He is still laid back 4 yrs later. grin

MrsHappy Wed 26-Aug-09 13:46:57

smile Thanks

Although pain is subjective, and individually your 6 hours of contractions may have been waaaay more painful than each of mine. They certainly sound more productive!!

mama2leah Wed 26-Aug-09 14:01:37

thank u...

contractions friday am, baby sunday pm!

AvonBarksdale Wed 26-Aug-09 14:03:33

Thanks for the thought! DD was a four day marathon: dc2 due TODAY and am hoping for a four hour jog!!!

Deeeja Wed 26-Aug-09 14:06:15

I had a 48 hour painful back labour with with my first, which I thought was the worst thing ever. My second I didn't feel any contractions, although midwife insisted I was having them, until last 3 or 4 hours. My 3rd I was induced, that was excruciating for 12 hours or so. My 4th, was long and slow but mostly ok, then the last half hour was very painful and very fast. Ds3 was the most difficult, but that was because he was hitting my hip bone with every contraction, ouch!
The first always seems the worst, because you don't know what to expect.

ShowOfHands Wed 26-Aug-09 14:07:47

Only two days here, but 6hrs of pushing (and no baby at the end of it, took the sunroof route in the end) so am applying for a special mention. Still, I am amazed at women who endure very, very quick labours and don't go into permanent shock.

Let's applaud every woman and man on here and have done with it.

Lizzylou Wed 26-Aug-09 14:12:22

48 hours, 4 pushing with DS1, then a ventouse anyway

16 hours and a ventouse with DS2.

FWIW my friends who had very short labours were traumatised too, their bodies were in shock. TBH my 1st didn't seem that bad, I'd sort of forgotten why I was there after a while grin, the less said about the second, <<shudder>>.

I applaud all mothers, however their little one got into the world

kitesarefun Wed 26-Aug-09 14:13:12

Ooo thanks

4 days here too. And then an emergency CS section after all my hard work.

BunnyLebowski Wed 26-Aug-09 14:13:25

Thanks Disenchanted! 23 hours here. No pain relief.

It was fecking shocking but worth it in the end.

HecatesTwopenceworth Wed 26-Aug-09 14:17:20

Why thank you. grin ds1 they started me off on the Wednesday and ds was born on the saturday at about 7pm!!

with ds2 they, erm, started me off on the Wednesday grin and he was born at 1145 on the saturday night!!

Mine just do not want to be born, it seems grin

shootfromthehip Wed 26-Aug-09 14:20:31

4 1/2 days with DD, 3 1/2 hrs pushing (even though I found the pain miserable at least it had time to build up gradually) and then an EMCS.

On the otherhand DS was a 3hr labour from start to finish and it was literally the scariest and most painful 3 hrs of my life. Horrible, horrible agony (no pain relief- I wasn't brave, there just wasn't time).

So, it may be odd but the length of the labour with DD made it exhausting and hideous (back to back labour) but the rapidity of the labour with DS made it terrifying. You can't win wink

EssieW Wed 26-Aug-09 14:26:45

I thank you. 44 and a half hours in active labour for DS - only realised the full time when my midwife wrote on my notes for No 2 (due Oct).

And somewhere around 8 hours for 2nd stage which horrified consultant when I eventually transferred into hospital for a bit of help (forceps).

Hoping that No 2 is quicker. I'd be happy with anything around 12 hours!

HecatesTwopenceworth Wed 26-Aug-09 14:29:04

Essie - hi grin like your username. Is it your real name?

EyeballsintheSky Wed 26-Aug-09 14:36:57

Four hour labour here (first dc)

<<hands out flowers and chocs to long labourers >>

PinkTulips Wed 26-Aug-09 14:40:18

i had one 18 hour established but with 3 days of one off, one 18 hour and one 6 hour.

the 6 hour was by far the most intensely painful and hardest to maintain calm for grin

long labours tend to start slow and the contractions are often less strong and far easier to cope with. with shorter labours you're really thrown in at the deep end pain wise, my first contraction with ds2 was of the same pain leval as my transition contractions with dd and ds1.

so personally i think shorter isn't always easier

PinkTulips Wed 26-Aug-09 14:42:16

one off? on/off was what i meant grin

donteatthat Wed 26-Aug-09 14:46:08

43 hours of contractions and an hour of pushing until they made me stop because the baby just wasn't budging. And after all that they made me have an emergency c-section and pumped me so full of drugs the only bit of me i could move was my face. my arms didn't work so i couldn't even hold him when he was born. sad

mind you, having said all that, he was 10 days overdue and weighed 10lb 2oz when he was born (and I am quite little) so maybe it's not all bad that he didn't take the natural route..! wink

ShowOfHands Wed 26-Aug-09 14:47:00

My contractions were the same intensity from the outset as at the very end. I've always wondered if it was because my waters had already broken and there was no cushioning. They were also 2.5 minutes long from the very beginning with no peak to them, just 2.5 minutes of unremitting agony, a 30 second break and then the same again. For two fecking days.

mumsiebumsie Wed 26-Aug-09 16:50:14

Showofhands Wish there was a clapping emoticon, you seriously deserve it! Same as all you other ladies.

If it's true that fearing the birth can delay your labour then this thread has made that happen for me

MrsMattie Wed 26-Aug-09 16:54:26

3 weeks overdue, 5 days of being induced with pessaries and lots of intense pain - resulted in 2 centimetres dilation and baby wasn't even engaged. Fucking fuck.

An emergency section was a blessed relief, I tell you.

DoomBar Wed 26-Aug-09 18:37:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FourArms Wed 26-Aug-09 18:46:35

DS1 - contractions started (mildly) after a sweep on Tuesday afternoon. Increased in intensity, with MWs visiting at home to check bp etc (mild-PE), went to hosp in agony on Sat at 7am, labour augmented at 10am and ARM, born at 7:50pm by C/S.

DS2 - waters broke Sun night. Contractions each night for about 10 hours. Went back to v.mild contractions during the day. Went for induction on Thu pm. Induction started Fri 7am, contractions by midday, DS2 born Saturday 10:10pm! Nearly a week after SROM!

Feel fairly sorry for myself with both labours, but they both bf easily which makes up for it a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now