Talk

Advanced search

Royal Berks Hospital - thoughts?

(4 Posts)
mrspink Wed 26-Aug-09 12:41:32

I had my first baby at RBH, just want to hear what other Mums thought of the maternity care there. Not a great experience as had to wait 5 hours for a delivery room, and finally after a long labour had to have emergency c-section due to baby being in distress.
also found the registrar very impatient and my 2nd mid-wife during my "shift" provided very little encouragement.

Is this a theme of most hospitals at stretching point in maternity units or should I be thinking of other hospitals - Frimley or Basingstoke are my next options.

LargeGlassofRed Wed 26-Aug-09 22:19:34

I had my first there too,
and hated it, so much so, I went for home births for the next 2.
Though I do think with most hospitals its alot down to luck on the day,
If you get a good midwife who you gel with it can make all the difference.
Had my last 2 (twins) in hospital 8 weeks ago, and although I had a good birth, the midwife was dreadful!

zephyrcat Wed 26-Aug-09 22:24:23

Hi, I had my first in RBH and found it pretty awful. I also ended up with an emergency CS after being told 'your baby has low oxygen levels, you can either hold on for another 12 hours labour or go for a cs now' Hmmm...let me think about that!?!

I had various trainee midwives etc popping in and out to practice their skills for inducing me.

My DD was born on xmas day too so my aftercare was pretty much non-existant as the staff were in reception eating xmas pies. Nice.

apsie Wed 26-Aug-09 22:35:42

I had my ds at RBH and my midwife was fab, despite my ending up with an epidural, episiotomy and forceps birth (I was induced 48 hours after my waters broke). They were very busy when I was there and I was in for more than 24 hours before ds finally arrived, I was assigned a midwife on each shift one to one care was pretty good and I found all the staff I came into contact with to be great. This was early 2008, not sure if it was worse before this or since.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now