Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

anyone had a natural or home birth after a c section?

(3 Posts)
scottishmumto1 Mon 30-May-05 13:09:25

i really wanted to give birth naturally to dd 9 months ago, but because i didnt progress well in first stages of labour, my cervix coming back down and dd in distress i had to have an emergency c section.
next time i ould love to have a natural birth or even a home birth, but i dont know if this is advisable, what with having a c section and living an hour and half away from hospital.
would love to hear your stories or opinions on this matter
thanks very much

franke Mon 30-May-05 13:36:22

I planned a home birth for my first but ended up in hospital with emergency cs. Had a very uneventful vbac (in hospital) last year and having done both would recommend a vbac. I think the key for me was to go into it with an open mind - I wanted to try for a normal birth but was prepared for it to end in another cs so felt quite relaxed.

I'm not sure about the homebirth option for you -I guess it would be something to discuss with your midwife once you are pregnant and know how it's going.

There's quite a lot of helpful stuff on here about vbac and people's experiences - have a look in the childbirth section. hth

piggyinthemiddle Mon 30-May-05 18:43:29

People do have home births after cs (also known as 'hbac'). The main reason that it has traditionally been discouraged is because of the risk of uterine rupture and you may like to have a look at the statistics for this on the NICE website in making your decision.

Having said that, living an hour and a half away from the hospital is an awfully long way to be transferred if you have any difficulties during labour or delivery.

Please let us know how you get on.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: