Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

OMG Csection bought forward to thursday; what should i be doing (37+2)

(9 Posts)
forevermore Tue 25-Aug-09 14:58:18

I have just come back from seeing consultant (gesational diabetes/majopr placenta previa/low fluids). having weekly scans. all ok except fluids very low. ( was hospitalised with possible delivery at 31 weeks for same reason but miraculously waters increased and i was given a reprieve. Now I am 37 weeks today. Never thought I would get here. had a show (i think) at weekend and today showed normal dopplers but for third week in a row waters reducing (AFI - 5.5 normal should be >7.5).

I am now officially in shock. been told to go home and prepare for hospitalisation tommorow and cesction on Thursday. I have DD1 who is aged 4. DH is at work. What should i be doing. All of a sudden i have noticed that I need a wax, hair done and loads of vain rubbishy things, but now completely forgotten how to prepare for a baby / childcare etc. never had a csection before so didn't 'know' when baby when coming last time.

sorry for rambling but this has knocked me for six. I am so scared of operation and baby now being okay although I know 37 weeks isn;t too early (is ithmm)

TheDMshouldbeRivened Tue 25-Aug-09 15:24:17

sleeping! You wont get any afterwards for a bit!
my ds1 was born by elective at 37 weeks. He was fine

Hangingbellyofbabylon Tue 25-Aug-09 15:25:13

ok.. first things first. Baby will be ok at 37 weeks and they wouldn't be doing the section if they didn't feel the baby will be 'better out than in'. I would take the time preparing dd1 that mummmy will be out of action for a bit. It can be hard when an older child wants you to lift them or have them on your lap for cuddles and you really can't. Also make sure you have childcare for dd1 sorted and friends / relatives on hand to help out too. Double check your hospital bag - loads of pants and maternity pads! From what I've heard here planned sections seem to be very calm experiences.

I had an emergency section at 35 weeks and literally had nothing with me - went in for monitoring with just my notes and handbag and ended up having a section! I found relying on my dh to get stuff together really annoying so anything you can do for yourself now will help! Imagine you could be in for several days so maybe make a pile of clothes and stuff you will need beyond that initial first day or a very good list for dh!

The operation itself isn't as weird as people make out - I kept reading about it feeling like someone doing washing up in your tummy! tbh I was so focused on the baby I didn't get a chance to think about the op. As yours is not an emergency I should think you are well within your rights to ask for things like the screen to be lowered at delivery if you want and things like skin-to-skin if the baby is well. Recovery for me wasn't fun but take any drugs they offer you! If you're in for a few days you might find yourself getting really hungry as the hopsital food doesn't seem to cater for ravenous post-natal appetites so getting friends to bring you in little snacks can help as well!

Best of luck, you can do this and just think, in a couple of days you will be holding your beautiful baby in your arms - what an incredible reward for looking after him/her all these months smile. I'm 37 weeks today and hoping my little one won't be too long now as well smile

EyeballsintheSky Tue 25-Aug-09 15:26:27

37 weeks is fine, they don't even class that as early do they? Erm, what should you be doing?

Panicking
Counting out half a dozen baby gros and vests, packet of nappies and wipes or whatever you use.
Write list of other things for DH/Mum/MIL whoever to get in when you're in hosp
Arrange childcare for dd if needed
You don't need hair done as fecthing green cap will cover your head

Erm, sorry for useless post. Have never had c sec so am guessing but I'm panicking for you

Good luck!

kitstwins Tue 25-Aug-09 15:48:06

37 weeks is considered 'full term' in terms of development. The last three weeks are really just about your baby fattening up inside you so at 37 weeks you're baby will be absolutely fine, just possibly slightly skinnier than he or she might otherwise have been at 40 weeks term.

As for what you should do:
- Sort out childcare for your toddler. The great thing about a scheduled section is that you know when it's happening and can sort out childcare accordingly.
- Get a food delivery in and make sure your house is stocked with lots of stuff so you don't need to bother with any of this when you come out of hospital. Some meals for the freezer (soups, lasagnes, shepherds pies, cakes, etc.) would be good as is loo roll, industrial amounts of washing powder and softener, etc.
- Get a present for your toddler from the new baby as this can make them happier about the new arrival and the (understandable) shift in attention from them to the newborn.
- Sort out your hospital bag. Pack babygrows, vests, hat, scratch mits, muslin cloths, nappies, cotton wool for the baby. Pack stuff for yourself and include some big knickers (paper ones are great to start with but also some giant M&S cotton ones in a multipack) and some of those moist Andrex loo roll wipes. These are great for post-birth loo trips and dealing with the lochia when you're tired an in pain from the section.
- Go to Boots and get any outstanding toiltries for yourself and the baby. Immac your legs and bikini line if you don't have time to get a wax done. Buy a face pack and slap that on in the bath tonight and relax. Get some arnica and start taking it as it can help with bruising. Preen yourself a bit. Your new baby nor the midwives/surgeon/anaethetist will give a crap about how you look but it can be faintly cheering to know you look nice. I'd spent hours blowdrying my hair the evening before my emergency section and it's a consolation to me that although I look like sh!t in the post-section photographs my hair looks AMAZING!!! I am incredibly shallow!

Hope it goes really well. Planned sections are a world apart from emergencies so it's really good you've got a scheduled date.
K

elmofan Tue 25-Aug-09 15:51:45

at 37 weeks baby should be fine smile i have had two c-sections & all went well so calm down , you wont feel a thing & they usually play music in theatre & talk to you while they deliver the baby smile , on my last c-section the doctor started a bet on weather baby would be a boy /girl , , i was right grin
( sending hugs & best wishes )

forevermore Tue 25-Aug-09 16:48:59

I am feeling a lttle calmer. I have sorted childcare now just need to sort my head out!

EleanoraBuntingCupcake Tue 25-Aug-09 16:51:43

honestly - go to bed and let your dh take care of everything.

good luck and enjoy your baby.

Hangingbellyofbabylon Wed 26-Aug-09 23:31:23

Good luck forever more - tomorrow is the big day! will look out for your news. xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now