Talk

Advanced search

Local Hospital in 'Special Measures' - what would you do?

(10 Posts)
MummyToucan Tue 25-Aug-09 12:29:58

Hi All,

I'm 12 weeks pg with no 2 - ds was born in another trust as we have since moved.

So I'm booked into have this one in the local hospital. It's in 'Special Measures' due to some 'incidents' in 2007 and staffing etc have all been cited as reasons its been struggling.

So far I've found things were better in the last trust - nothing major just niggly things - wrong name on letters, booking me into wrong hosp for scans and have been given no info really - but that might just be because this is the second time for me?

Trying not to have a big stress and feel too negative about new hospital, but am thinking I might asked to be transferred back to adjacent trust where we had our last baby.

Does anyone know whether this is easy - possible? The only midwife I've seen told me that once I've started care in one trust I can't change but I'm pretty sure this can't be true.

I'm planning to have a talk with the midwife at my scan about the issues at the unit and whether I can change but just wondered if anyone has any experiences/advice.

Thanks ladies.

MrsPuddleduck Tue 25-Aug-09 12:37:58

Is it Stafford?

MummyToucan Tue 25-Aug-09 15:10:54

No - it's Gwent.

MrsPuddleduck Tue 25-Aug-09 18:39:09

Sorry, I can't help with that one. I am about to have my third c-section at Stafford which has been on the news recently for being so bad. I had both of my other babies there during the height of the problems. I can only say that on balance I have decided to go there again becuase it is considerably closer to our house (10 mins away as opposed to 45 mins for Stoke) and it will make things easier, especially with having two other children to think about.

Hopefully someone may come along who has just delivered there and can let you know what its like.

moondog Tue 25-Aug-09 18:41:33

If it's in Special Measures, it means people will be running around like blue arsed flies trying to sort it, so perversely, you could get better care.

ilovemydogandmrobama Tue 25-Aug-09 18:49:52

My Welsh geography is appalling and only know a few places in North Wales and Cardiff, but wasn't there recently news about a maternity hospital in Cardiff gearing up as the showpiece?

Is this close to you?

beautifulgirls Wed 26-Aug-09 09:45:50

It's up to you where you choose and you certainly have the right to change your mind and ask to be transferred to care elsewhere. I agree with Moondog though, it may well be better for delivery if they are being monitored. Why not ask if you can take a tour around and get a feel for the delivery side a bit more before you make up your mind?

kathyis6incheshigh Wed 26-Aug-09 09:50:32

I disagree, I think if they can't get the paperwork right the odds of them getting something important wrong are higher.

I was initially booked into Leicester for my first birth (until I moved in with dh 3 weeks before the birth) and they were the same, booked me at the wrong hospital, sent me for appointments to which I turned up and was told 'I don't know why they've sent you', etc etc. Surprisingly enough Leic hospitals do in fact have higher than normal rates of stillbirth too. Of course there may be other factors, but I think sometimes you get all-round crapness.

In theory they would be running round trying to improve but it doesn't always work that way with schools (they often get put in special measures or given notice to improve twice) so why would it be different with hospitals?

Kick up a fuss and demand to be moved back to the one you feel confident with.

TotalChaos Wed 26-Aug-09 09:53:12

I also disagree with Moondog, I wouldn't want to gamble that in 6 months time they will be well on the way to a massive improvement. Particularly given you already aren't that happy with them, I would try and change. If it was just one admin glitch then yes, noone is infallible, but it sounds like a series of people getting things wrong with the admin.

bumpsoon Wed 26-Aug-09 12:22:45

just a thought but how about a homebirth ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now