Talk

Advanced search

Priming on saturday 29 and induction on Sunday 30 - what happens?

(8 Posts)
Chrysanthamum Mon 24-Aug-09 21:09:46

Hi I'm 5 days late with my 3rd baby. My first 2 were induced with the drip after waters breaking early. This time I've been told to come in for priming on Sat and induction on Sun. We have problems with childcare so it will be difficult for my husband to be there all the time. Does anyone know how long it might take? I'd like my husband there as much as possible but we cant use up all our childcare favours at once.
Advice anyone?

AngryWasp Mon 24-Aug-09 21:11:33

just 5 days late? You're not even late. Why are they inducing? Are you in the UK?

Chrysanthamum Tue 25-Aug-09 12:14:34

Yes i'm in Scotland. By Sunday I'll be 10 days late. They usually induce you at ten days in my council.

juuule Tue 25-Aug-09 13:21:59

Well you've still got nearly a week to go and things can happen in that time. I gave birth to one of mine 5 hours before I was due to book in for induction.

Maybe give yourself until 14 day o/d before agreeing to induction. (I was never happy to go more than 14days overdue).

Hope something happens for you soon.

GibberingGinger Tue 25-Aug-09 13:50:04

I think by priming they probably mean a pessary. I was taken in on Sunday night at 6pm and they examined me, decided my cervix was still pretty far back and it was worth giving me a pessary to start off, to ripen me. I was left with the pessary overnight. So DH didn't really need to be there, he went off to watch ice hockey and then went home. HOwever he was warned by the nurse that the pessary was to ripen the cervix, but if it was really successful it would trigger contractions/labour too.
Anyway at 6 am Monday they examined me and the pessary had shortened and softened the cervix but as there was no contractions they would have to break my waters, and this required a labour suite. I was then put in the queue for the labour ward, but emergencies kept coming in so I had to wait 18 hours. But this was supposedly unusual - they were just really busy. DH waited with me all day, I wasn't in any pain, but was emotionally drained so his support was needed. I eventually got to a labour suite at midnight monday, had waters broken, and was put on the oxytocin (syntocin maybe - can't remember) drip. You probably know what to expect after that since you've been there twice. My DD was born at noon on Tuesday.

So after this longwinded story, it can be really difficult to predict how long it will take! Doesn't help arranging childcare I know. I hope it all goes well for you.

Chrysanthamum Tue 25-Aug-09 16:17:13

Thanks for the advice.
Well I'm just tucking into another pineapple so maybe i'll be lucky and things'll start naturally before Sat. I remember with my 2nd induction it was a busy day so they didn't get me started until 4pm as opposed to 10 am. Luckily we live 20 mins from hospital and we've managed to get back up childcare just in case.
Gibb.ging - your wait must have been really exhausting!
i suppose we'll just have to see what they say on Saturday and play it by ear.
Was the pessary thing uncomfortable? I'm a bit of a squeamish wimp when it comes to these things.

juuule Tue 25-Aug-09 16:28:33

Pessary or gel insertion didn't hurt at all for me.

GibberingGinger Tue 25-Aug-09 20:53:55

Pessary didn't hurt at all. Its certainly much smaller than a tampon. Mine even had a little string to pull it out (sorry if TMI). I think they only give it to you if your cervix is closed. If its open enough they might just go straight for breaking your waters.

Waiting for the labour suite was very frustrating. Didn't help that they kept of saying Not Long Now! You'll Be Next. I was climbing the walls by the end of it. I practically ran into the labour suite! But what can you do - they couldn't really turn away people in active labour just cause I was getting bored waiting!

Hope things start on their own before Saturday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now