Talk

Advanced search

Bandl's ring: anyone enlighten me??

(3 Posts)
Diege Mon 24-Aug-09 14:03:35

Had ds in June by emergency section (having had my 3 dds by normal delivery). There was some talk when I met with the consultant to talk through my notes (at my request) of baby being too big for my pelvis, resulting in an obstructed labour, and eventually c-section. I'm finally starting to accept that this was the case and putting a line under it all, but had letter this morning summarising chat, and saying that, to quote, 'at caesarian section there was something called a bandl's ring in the uterus which would explain very possibly why you had an obstructed labour...this baby weighing 4.4kg (9Ib 8oz)'.
Any mumsnetters know what this bandl's ring is? Am pretty convinced ds is my last baby anyway, but never say never shock, and just a tenny bit curious as to how this might effect a future delivery??!! (would prefer VBAC)

MrsFlyingKebab Mon 24-Aug-09 15:27:15

Found this from babyworld FAQ.
Hooray for google! (I had no clue what it was either and wondered)

During normal birth, what is known as a 'retraction ring' forms in the uterus. This is a ridge that forms between the upper and lower part of the uterus as a result of contractions. Usually, when a muscle contracts, what happens is that the muscle fibres get shorter while it's contracting, and then go back to their normal length afterwards. When the uterus contracts in labour, though, the muscle fibres retract, which means that they hold part of the contraction and don't go back to their normal length afterwards, so that they become progressively shorter with each contraction. In labour, it's mainly the upper part (segment) of the uterus that contracts and retracts. This pulls on the bottom part (the lower segment), especially on the area of the cervix, causing it to thin out. (Incidentally, if you have a caesarean, it's the lower segment that is opened to perform the operation, hence the initials LSCS - for lower segment caesarean section.) The retraction ring is the ridge that gradually forms between the shortened, thickened muscles of the upper segment of the uterus, and the thin, stretched lower segment. A Bandl's ring is an exaggerated pathological form of this retraction ring. It forms when, for some reason or another, labour becomes obstructed. This may happen when there is cephalopelvic disproportion (the baby won't fit through the pelvis), or it may be associated with the baby being in an unfavourable position. The ring actually becomes visible through the abdomen above the symphysis pubis (the pubic joint), and, as you rightly, say means the baby can't be pushed out vaginally. If left untreated, the uterus would eventually rupture. This is why a caesarean is performed.

Diege Mon 24-Aug-09 16:42:16

Many thanks MRSFLYINGKEBAB smile. That makes sense in terms of what consultant said regarding being 20 mins away from uterine rupture shock Wonder what implications are for next labour?? <entirely theoretical of course> wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now