Talk

Advanced search

heatpad on lower back in labour?

(5 Posts)
Hangingbellyofbabylon Sun 23-Aug-09 12:12:30

I'm not in labour yet but with dd1 the lower back pain was awful and last night I had really sore back again and it made me wonder. I have these great disposable heat pads that you stick onto your lower back and they are just amazing. No ibuprofen or any drugs just literally a bit of heat. Do you reckon it would ok in labour? I can't see it would any different that the heat generated from a good back rub.

I went for a long walk last night and when we got back my back was sore and I over night I had funny tummy and now feel sick. I'm hoping things are starting to move. I'm only 36+5 but dd1 was 39 weeks and dd2 35 weeks so not impossible. (or more likely wishful thinking.. blush. 'Get this alien out of me before it busts out of my belly'.

Lib76 Sun 23-Aug-09 14:01:27

Hi! i was given a hot pack by my midwife when i was in labour as i had terrible back pain due to back to back presentation, it worked ok. Can't see any problems with heat pads, but i think the ones you pop in microwave are much better. xx

slushy06 Sun 23-Aug-09 14:49:18

I used a hot water bottle on both my back to back and found it better than gas and air.

PrammyMammy Sun 23-Aug-09 15:35:15

hi, when i was in labour with ds, i only felt contractions in my back. When they were coming thick and fast i called the midwife and they suggested a heat pack, saying back pain and no broken waters wasn't labour.
My dad, having none of it, took me to the hospital (30 mins drive away) and we got there just in time for ds arrival so no time for pain relief. But i think the hot towels(didn't have a heat pack) must have made a difference because i believed the midwife when she said i wasn't in labour and protested with my dad bout taking me in.

Mummygoesohh Mon 24-Aug-09 23:53:38

I had one of those wheaty bags (the ones you pop in the microwave) which i used for backache in late preg. The hopsital let me use one in early labour, and it helped with the earlu twinges when i was induced... and was comforting to snuggle up to as well.
Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now