Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Private Health Insurance - covers "failure to progress in labour" - what does that mean in reality?

(8 Posts)
IlanaK Sat 22-Aug-09 20:34:27

Just some background - I have had 3 sections. Am considering getting pregnant with dc4. In the post today got the renewal pack for health insurance with PPP that we get through DH work. There was a letter saying that due to changes in the sex discrimination act, they now cover certain conditions in pregnancy (they never covered anyting to do with pg before).

One of the things listed was "failure to progress in labour". But how would this work in reality? You would have to start your labour on an NHS ward, so how would you transfer to private care if things did not progress? I am asking as I have considered trying for a VBAC for the next child so failure to progress would be a real possibility as I have never really laboured.

Anyway, I just don't understand how it would work.

MamaKaty Sat 22-Aug-09 20:39:12

Private care and NHS Care can be provided in the same places and often by the same staff! It may mean you are entitled to a private room, etc afterwards.
If you're considering trying for another child after 3 sections you should speak to a community midwife or obs/gynae for a lot more advice.

LuluMaman Sat 22-Aug-09 20:40:25

you need to speak to your health care provider.. they might say as you hvae had 3 sections that it is pre exisitng and therefore not a covered condition.

IlanaK Sat 22-Aug-09 20:42:33

Our health insurance covers all pre existing conditions. And I know there is a lot to consider about a VBAC or not (I haven't actually decided). I am just interested to know how this would work if it came up.

IlanaK Sat 22-Aug-09 21:23:37

Anyone else have any ideas how it works?

squiby2004 Sun 23-Aug-09 22:17:42

I had my DD on on the Lindo Wing (private) and because of complications (pre eclampsia) had an emergency section at 34 weeks. My PP paid my hospital stay, the delivery cost of my consultants total charges and my theatre costs e.g spinal. However I was paying anyway so at no stage was I in the NHS system. In reality if you are all they would pay is the private room charge of a NHS hospital (so basically a side room on an NHS ward) which is about £80 a night. You cannot transfer from NHS to private during delivery as the only private options in the UK are all based in London and you need to be booked in with a consultant that offers private care in one of these places from 12 weeks ish into pregnancy.

In your case you need to have a valid medical reason for a section (not the fact you have had a previous ones as they are not covered) and you need to be aware that you would still have a bill of several thousand pounds on top of what your insurance company would pay in the event of a claim.

HTH

Anne-Marie

IlanaK Wed 26-Aug-09 21:04:56

Yes, I think you are right. St Mary's in my local hospital by the way - I had ds2 there. And I would not be able to have a private room anyway (in the NHS wards) as they won't let you have one after a c-section.

My last baby was breech. I wonder if that counts as a reason for the section that would be covered?

squiby2004 Wed 26-Aug-09 22:26:11

No there are 5 reasons that I am aware of and that isnt one of them.

They dont want to pay out so they are very very strict with the criteria!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now