Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Will I need a THIRD C-section if I get pregnant?

(12 Posts)
supermum3 Sat 22-Aug-09 18:01:26

Just wondering about my next step in life. WOuld love to have another child but am scared of having another c-section. I have had 2 already in the last 7 years owing to no labour contractions and baby stress.

Can I have a natural birth now or is c-section the only way for me?

zippy539 Sat 22-Aug-09 18:06:21

Supermum - I had two sections (one emergency, one 'elective' because of diabetes) and I do remember the consultant telling me after the second that I could try for VBAC if I had another in the future. I don't intend to but it's nice to know.

In terms of whether you will 'need' another CS I'm not sure - I think you can have two similar labours and then one that is spectacularly different (ie in which you won't need a section). But I'm sure others with more knowledge will be along in a minute.

Are you thinking about it?!!!

zippy539 Sat 22-Aug-09 18:07:59

Sorry - meant to ask, what is it that scares you about another CS in particular?

TheDMshouldbeRivened Sat 22-Aug-09 18:10:44

you can try for a vbac if you want. I had a vbac after 3 sections.

supermum3 Sat 22-Aug-09 18:11:39

Hi Zippy

Yes I am thinking about it. Last few weeks there have been so many births around me that I feel all clucky. I know the c-sections made work harder but my two healthy boys are 7 and nearly 5 now and I am dreaming about holding another baby in my arms!

I wanted to know whether I had to have 100% c -section or do the medics just allow the situation to proceed and see what happens? I want a natural birth, but not sure if the medics will allow this. Though from what you say, they obviously consider it an option.

BTW, whats VBAC? I've just come onto this site and I've seen it a lot. My brain is not functioning so I can't even work it out right now! Please advise!!

supermum3 Sat 22-Aug-09 18:14:08

Zippy - I'm scared about the pain. I still get twinges under my 2 scars. THey are still sensitive to touch, cannot get waxed there because it hurts so much - but only on waxing or suddeen movement in the morning when I get out of bed.

Just the fact that its major surgery and I have 2 little ones too! Hubby is around but abroad quite a lot.

zippy539 Sat 22-Aug-09 18:19:02

Ohh - go for it.

TBH as far as childbirth is concerned I've stared to take the 'whatever will be will be' stance. Plan for the best, anticipate the worse etc. BUT that isn't to say that you can't have a natural birth if everything goes your way. But if it isn't possible then you shouldn't let it put you off having another baby if that's what you feel is right.

As you know a C/S isn't ideal but your boys are big enough to understand the situation if you explain it - with a bit of luck they'll spoil you rotten if you have to another c/s. Your boys are the same age gap as mine and that certainly WASN'T the case when I had my second section and DS1 was only 20 months old. This time - if you need a c/s then - then things should be a good bit easier.

VBAC = Vaginal Birth After Caesarian(s).

zippy539 Sat 22-Aug-09 18:24:54

Okay -cross posted there. I understand about the pain, major surgery etc. It makes me mad when people go on about 'too posh to push' as if a c/s is an easy option - it flaming isn't!

Is there any other support you could set up locally? Though like I reckon your ds's would be up to helping out for the short term (and they'll be a bit older again by the time the baby comes).

The other thing is whether it is worth talking to someone about your options - doctor, a midwife, hospital. It sounds like your case was quite specific last time and someone with experience might be able to give you an assessment about whether a c/s a likely to be needed again. Someone with more info about how to get that advice might be along in a minute.

Either way - if you want a baby you WANT a baby....

supermum3 Sat 22-Aug-09 22:31:27

Thanks Zippy. I think I'll take your advice and go and see my GP and discuss the practicalities first just to make me feel at ease. It's a very good idea, thanks hun x

IlanaK Sat 22-Aug-09 22:34:42

TheDMshouldbeRivened - I am interested to hear about your VBAC after 3 sections as I have had 3 and want a fourth baby. I have fleeted with the idea of a VBAC, but would love more info from someone who has done it.

TheDMshouldbeRivened Sun 23-Aug-09 09:55:09

well, it was straight forward normal labour. 7 hours first stage then half an hour pushing. And no-one had told me it feels like baby is splitting your bottom open, not your fanjo!
BUT, I reckon its highly overrated. Ended up with stitches and 2nd degree tear. My elective CS (numbers 2 and 3) were a piece of cake in comparision and I wish I'd had another cs to be honest!
I'm not a lot of help am I grin

bloomingnora Sun 23-Aug-09 10:14:07

Hi, I am going through this at the moment. Had two C sections and am 20 weeks pregnant with my third. When i had my dating scan I was able to discuss the possibility of VBAC with the obstetrician (sp?) and she gave me some useful information - read the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists website. It is very wordy and full of stats but will at least give you some facts concerning risks. It has to be said that she was not 100% supportive about the idea but she freely admitted that she thinks this is at least partly because she deals with the bad side of things.
The midwives could not be more supportive and are really keen for me to give it a go. I am seeing the OB again at 36 weeks to let her know what we have decided. This is the standard procedure in our health authority but it is dependent on your reasons for the first two. Mine were failure to progress and undiagnosed breech. Laboured for hours both times.....
I am going for a VBAC but Riven has slightly put me off now......
Good luck whatever you decide.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: