Talk

Advanced search

Epi-No?

(6 Posts)
Kingsroadie Fri 21-Aug-09 11:23:35

Hi all

Am not due for another 3 months but just wondering about the Epi-No. Has anyone used it/knows someone who has used it/intends to use it and if so was it any good?

First baby and biggest fear is tearing badly (although my mother was really fine with both of us and I may - fingers crossed - take after her as preg has been v similar etc) so would like to try and do whatever I can to try and prevent it. Obv perineal massage is something I can also do but I wondered whether the Epi-No might be easier/make me want to do it more by structuring it a bit more? and get me used to the sensation of crowing a bit. Or is it just a massive gimmick (which it could well be) ?!

Thanks in advance!

varmit Tue 25-Aug-09 09:57:10

Hi there
I bought an Epi-No after our NCT group leader swore by it, I think the whole group bought one! The results we had were very variable, two of us ended up with EMCS, so obviously all that stretching was a painful waste of time! Two others had pretty good VB's with minimal tearing, and one had a terrible time with third degree tears. I really don't know if it's worth it or not, I'm sure there are lots of women who would say it saved them from tearing, but I suspect alot of it is down to the birth, babies head size, speed of delivery etc....
It might make you feel better to be doing something proactive, and you can always use them for pelvic floor exercises too, handy in years to come!
Good luck.

Kingsroadie Tue 25-Aug-09 12:00:41

Thanks varmit - good to hear about it from someone who has used one - I think you might be right about the whole "making me feel better for being proactive" thing! I tend to like to plan, and obv this isn't something I can plan I can at least do everything possible to help...

Obviously, as you say, I am sure a lot of it would be down to speed of birth, size of baby, and I think, a bit of genetics - some people are more stretchy than others.

Thank you!

sasza321 Sat 19-Sep-09 15:33:00

Hello,

I used epi-no from 37 weeks (although not every day, sometimes I just could not be bothered grin)
Gave birth to a big baby boy last week,perineum intact, little tear inside that did not require any stiches.
Obviously I can not guarantee it was only down to using epi-no, but the training definitely gave me confidence and prepared me for the final stage of pushing, when the head is coming out.
Would definitely recommend it.

Kingsroadie Tue 29-Sep-09 12:00:56

Thanks sasza321 - very good to hear. Have bought one actually so will see how it goes!

LilyRosesMummy Tue 10-Nov-09 21:53:24

I definately recommend the epi-no. I was absolutely terrified of being badly damaged during the birth of my daughter and used it at least once a day and sometimes twice a day from 36 weeks onwards -it was unpleasant and awkward but ultimately gave me the result i wanted; i had no tears at all when my daughter was born and the pushing stage was only about 35 mins despite the fact that it was my first birth and i am relatively small. It is ridiculously expensive for what it is but as its the only one of its kind then its definately worth forking out for in the long term . All pregnant women should get one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now