Talk

Advanced search

VBAC after emergency c-section.... or a planned c-section

(6 Posts)
Rtuff Tue 18-Aug-09 17:24:48

Hi everyone,

I'm currently pregnant with DC2 and although i don't have to make this decision just yet i just thought i'd get some of your opinions, so....

I had DS1 in July '06 and had a really bad experience, my waters broke and an hour and a half later a was fully dilated but ds was footling breech. When i first went into t heart m labour midwife checked my stomach and said everything was fine and he was in the right position etc... she then put heart moniter on stomach and baby's heart rate was all over the place, i then asked for epidural which meant internal examination at which point i had 3 different midwives all trying to work out what was coming out first... which turned out to be a foot sooo i had to have emergency c-section under GA. Once i woke up i the spent 7 days in hospital and 2 blood tranfusions after passing out in the shower....

I now don't know whether to go for a planned c-section so i feel more in control or a VBAC, i didn't mind the recovery time after a c-section it was the more the fact i had to had blood transfusions and still felt light headed and away with the fairies for weeks after....

Anyway, enough of my rambling.... Has anyone experienced this before, and what did you choose???

robino Tue 18-Aug-09 17:45:14

I had fairly similar first birth to you (waters broke first, into labour ward, sent home, back 14hrs later, wasn't until 11 hrs after going in for the second time on 3rd midwife and 3rd internal examination when mw spotted that a) DD was breech and b) I was fully dilated) - ended up with em cs.

DD2 - had a VBAC. Was fab. Loved it (in a weird, ouchy kind of way hmm).

SmallScrewCap Tue 18-Aug-09 17:46:46

Hello, I'm right in the eye of the storm of this! I'm 39 weeks and have swung between VBAC and ELCS section (to avoid EMCS or induction) many times during this pregnancy (and twice in the last week due to some last minute health problems that I hadn't envisaged, which are now settling thank goodness). I am currently back at VBAC but if my health changes, I am prepared to think again (again!)

The best advice I can give you is to swot up on all options, try not to set your heart on any specific outcome, and don't be afraid to ask loads and loads of questions of your HCPs.

It may also help to know that, provided you are in reasonable health (and not actually crowning or in surgery!) there doesn't appear to be a cut-off point at which you cannot change your mind. This may only be true for my hospital, though, so ask your midwife early on how changing pictures are dealt with locally.

Also, start to think about induction and how you and your HCPs feel about this. You will be under a consultant at some point due to your previous c-section - use this opportunity to ask what they intend to do if you opt for VBAC but don't go into labour naturally, or fail to progress.

Good luck and congratulations!

Deemented Tue 18-Aug-09 17:46:58

I had a EMCS with my twin boys, born at 28 weeks and both breech.

I couldn't help but feel somehow cheated and decided on a vbac when having dd. I really had to fight for it - consultant was dead against it and kept saying as dd was going to be big then i'd be better going for a planned CS.

Anyways, i managed to get my vbac. It didn't go as planned and i can't honestly say it was the best experience of my life, but i am glad i stuck to my guns. I ended up with a 3rd degree tear, but that was more down to the fact that they monitored me constantly and wouldn't let me move around.

This time round, i'm hoping for a home water vbac, which hasn't gone down very well - but we'll see.

All in all, i'd say only you can make this decision, and whatever you decide will be right for you.

BriocheDoree Tue 18-Aug-09 17:50:54

Had a EMCS with DD (not great experience, long labour, fully dilated and she just wouldn't come out!)
Had a VBAC with DS. Was lucky to have fantastically supportive hospital as DS was big (was predicted 4.5 kg but ended up 4.13 kg) and I'm overweight so not "ideal" conditions.
However, also had a mobile epidural with DS so felt much more in control of the whole thing. Pain was at a manageable level and it was much easier!

robino Tue 18-Aug-09 17:53:49

Second the "ask lots of questions, be informed" advice. And would add "be prepared to stand your ground". You might not need to but I did.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now