Talk

Advanced search

Will PGP/SPD affect labour?

(8 Posts)
Supercherry Tue 18-Aug-09 13:26:28

Those who have suffered from Pelvic Girdle Pain or SPD, how did it affect childbirth for you?

I'm 29 weeks pregnant and this morning after changing DS's nappy on the floor it took me about 5 minutes to get back up due to the pain in my buttock. Also, got stuck last night after leaning over DS's cot to soothe him.

Realistically, how am I going to open my legs to push?

If I have an epidural surley this will block the pain but then I could cause damage to my pelvis?

Would really appreciate your experiences.

Supercherry Tue 18-Aug-09 13:27:06

Surely.

danthe4th Tue 18-Aug-09 13:34:48

I was really bad with pain with dd2 but when labour came I didn't really have a problem I was advised not to open my legs too wide and gave birth on all fours which was fine, no problems.

Supercherry Tue 18-Aug-09 15:11:32

Thank you for replying Danthe4th.

Kyte Tue 18-Aug-09 15:24:46

I decided to stay off the painkillers - just did gas and air. I felt that this way I knew when my legs were too far apart.

This became very important when I had to be transferred into hospital (from a home water birth) after ds got stuck. I ended up with an instrumental delivery in the delivery suite followed by stitching up in theatre. It meant that I could tell them how far I could spread my legs and I was able to tell them that they had to lift my legs at the same time.

Obviously labour does hurt, but if you can get past transition, then you get so focused on pushing that the pain becomes less important, like a different part of your mind. Statistically, you're also less likely to need intervention if you can keep away from epidurals etc, which means less risk of damaging your hips.

Also, kneeling (esp using a birth ball) is a good position to be in for SPD/PGP because you control how far your legs are apart. Water births can also help.

Kyte Tue 18-Aug-09 15:25:53

Oh and I found that having PGP and SPD really helped to prepare me for coping with the pain of labour anyway.

Supercherry Tue 18-Aug-09 15:39:04

Thanks Kyte, I suppose the pain of labour far exceeds that of PGP, well, it will if my first was anything to go by!

Just wondering if it made things more difficult though.

skybright Tue 18-Aug-09 15:41:52

I had SPD and had a water birth with gas and air,his shoulders did get stuck but i don't think that was anything to do with the SPD. It was not that much different than my other two births without suffering from SPD.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now