Talk

Advanced search

MW cant support HB due to staff shortages. Cant afford a private mw. What are my other options.

(3 Posts)
whocaresaboutyourintellect Tue 18-Aug-09 13:20:01

Pregnant with number 4 and expecting a fairly quick and easy labour. (she says hopefully)

I have moved to a new area about an hour from my family. I do not know a soul locally.

I wanted a HB so that I could go into labour, leave kids in bed, phone family and if they make it they do, if they dont they dont.

Just been warned that this is very unlikely due to MW shortages.

So my options would be to go in labour, phone family and hope I dont give birth on way to hospital.

No-one is in a position to stay with me for the few weeks so this is my only option.

Either that or leave DH at home with kids and get taxi, take everyone to hospital with us or give birth at home solo.

bumpybecky Tue 18-Aug-09 13:39:10

Well in theory their staff shortages are not really your problem. The recommended plan is to call when in labour and tell them you need a midwife. I don't think a laouring woman intending a homebirth has been refused, although they will put pressure on you to go in.

It depends how stroppy you are really and whether the risk of not having a midwife is going to cause you stress (expect so!).

I had threats with my 3rd and 4th babies that they'd not have anyone qualified in home water birth. For #3 I made it abundantly clear (while in labour!) that I was getting in the pool and they had better find someone. They did

For #4 again they had problems finding water birth experienced midwives. They sent two out who would have insisted I'd got out to deliver (ha! that would not have worked) but they arrived after the baby. They later told DH that he had more experience of water births than they did, having watched 2 dd's being born and having caught ds on the 3rd birth...

Have you contacted AIMS?

http://www.aims.org.uk/

blinder Sat 22-Aug-09 02:52:35

my recent thread was very helpful. it sounds like you are in the same position I was in. But now I am booked for a home-birth and have the midwifery box in my living room to prove it. Have a read and good luck!

www.mumsnet.com/Talk?topicid=pregnancy&threadid=804703-Too-short-staffed-to-support-a-home-birth-WWY D

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now