Talk

Advanced search

What gift would YOU like after the birth?

(24 Posts)
fatandiknowit Tue 18-Aug-09 10:47:54

Hi,

My SIL gave birth yesterday and we have arranged to go and see the new family at the end of the week - give them time to settle in.

We've bought baby a small gift, but wanted to get something luxurious and lovely for SIL also - but I'm stuck (am only 24 weeks with number 1 so no personal experience).

Any ideas much appreciated - not too expensive though - much as I'd love to get her something expensive - budget is up to about £20.

Thanks in advance

rubyslippers Tue 18-Aug-09 10:51:32

new PJs
slippers
wine, runny cheese and chocolate
bed socks

gingerbunny Tue 18-Aug-09 10:53:54

if you're thinking of smellies, go with the unscented, mild stuff, like dove etc. Some one bought us a lovely picture frame with family on, which was beautiful and still has our first family photo in.
when my ds was born my work got me lots of little things for me and my hubbie (smellies, beer etc) and nothing for my baby (as they thought he would get enough stuff)and although it was a lovely gesture I was a bit gutted, cause it didn't feel like they were acknowledging his arrival.
So to get a little gift for them all is lovely.

some lovely bath stuff, home made cooked dinner, a voucher for babysitting and a voucher for a massage for later on.

mrswee Tue 18-Aug-09 10:54:44

could you club together with someone and get her a postnatal massage? it's a bit above your budget £35-£40 but we got one for a friend and she said it was the best gift she got, she was sooo pleased and sooo relaxed on the day she took the massage.

MuffinTopMamma Tue 18-Aug-09 10:56:26

I'm 41+2 (DC2) and my wish-list comprises:
Blue stinky cheese, runny Brie, pate, very dark chocolate and finally a very nice large glass of red wine.
Maybe a little hamper of goodies would be a lovely gesture?

fatandiknowit Tue 18-Aug-09 10:58:22

Thanks for all the great ideas - loving the idea of a hamper as she is a bit of a foodie smile

Lulubee Tue 18-Aug-09 10:58:29

I came home to a huge chunk of stilton and a bottle of champagne from one of my friends - it was such a nice gesture because I'd been craving blue cheese for months. Couldn't have the champagne for a while, due to BF, but I liked looking at the chilled bottle in the fridge grin

bethoo Tue 18-Aug-09 10:58:51

i would love a tummy tuck wink grin
but seriously something luxurious for the bath perhaps though prob already suggested.

tinymam Tue 18-Aug-09 11:00:56

I got new pjs and a snowglobe that said 'mum' and in my hormonal state it was the kindest thing anyone could have done. I wasnt expecting anything except flowers from dh. So, imho you probably can't go too wrong with whatever you choose. Though I wouldn't go for smellies as my sense of smell was still heightened for a good few months afterwards.

makedoandmend Tue 18-Aug-09 11:02:29

When I gave birth my Dsis sent me a box from Cook who do really nice ready made meals. Sounds bizarre but it was great and provided no-fuss lovely, easy food for the first few days out of hospital. I thought it was a really thoughtful gift - especially from someone who has never had kids.

BornToFolk Tue 18-Aug-09 11:02:42

Not bath stuff! I got a few bottles of bubble bath when DS was born, and while I appreciated the gesture it actually made me quite depressed as I felt like I'd never have time to have a nice, long, bubbly bath ever again.

If you're going to do smellies, so something that's quick and easy to use, like a posh handcream.

Someone got me a magazine subscription and that was really great as it ran through my maternity leave. It was always good to get a magazine in the post, and they were easy to flick through while DS was napping or even feeding.

geordieminx Tue 18-Aug-09 11:04:06

pj's and food.

HeadFairy Tue 18-Aug-09 11:04:55

I would like a large box set of dvds of something really funny or entertaining to get me through those looooog nights feeding (ds used to take a good 2 hours to feed shock)

makedoandmend Tue 18-Aug-09 11:08:00

Also this was the best thing under £20 I bought - it's a really small feeding pillow. I chucked out the big ones (too bulky) and this is small enough to take out with me if needed.

IwishIhadtimetoreadnewspapers Tue 18-Aug-09 11:21:10

Food! Things she's avoided for the last 9 months and a tasty something for the freezer.

slushy06 Tue 18-Aug-09 11:25:06

I would have liked some kind of beauty treatment like a manicure as I always feel low after giving birth and having something done to make me look better would cheer me up.

Or dvds as when dp went back to work found life a bit boring.

MrsBadger Tue 18-Aug-09 11:26:38

red wine

cake

luxury ready meals

beautifulgirls Tue 18-Aug-09 13:52:58

Dh bought me a spa day voucher. I had to wait a while to use it until DD#1 was old enough to be left with her daddy for the day, but it was lovely to have that to look forwards to and when the day came it was a lovely relaxing day, even if I did keep calling him to see how he was coping!! (fine of course!!)

QTPie Tue 18-Aug-09 14:20:26

I would say a spa gift voucher - true pampering...

You have to be careful with buying people smellies - most people know what they like and anything else gets put up in the wardrobe and then cleared out 5 years later...

QT

I got bugger all when I had DS!
Would have been happy with anything TBH!

Mammina Tue 18-Aug-09 15:16:32

definitely smelly cheese

Habbibu Tue 18-Aug-09 15:18:35

Agree with good DVDs, and then maybe previously forbidden food. I'd be v. happy with blue cheese, a DVD and a box of eggs!

Kyte Tue 18-Aug-09 15:48:09

Maybe bring a nice nutritious tasty meal that they can reheat later or freeze - the last thing you want to do is have to cook after having a baby. My mum and various friends did this for us and it was fab. But it might be an idea to let her know beforehand in case other people have thought the same.

If you're close, you could offer to do some washing.....

Also DVD's, talking books etc are fab, especially if she's bf and stuck to the sofa for ages like I was.....or a blockbuster voucher because you don't get to the cinema for ages.

I agree with no smellies etc - I was inundated and ended up freecycling lots of them.

Maybe a clothing store voucher so she can spoil herself when she's lost some baby weight? I know that I felt all our money should be spent on stuff for the baby etc and not on me once I'd got to that stage and had to wait for my birthday before I bought any new clothes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now